Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Barcelona 2017 - new date and bike course
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quick, although the swim can be choppy, not today though by the photo's I've seen.

I got the bike as 177k so 2 miles does equal about 5 minutes, but the road surfaces are really fast. There is a lot of drafting though. Run is flat as well, although some of it is on hard pack tracks so a bit softer than tarmac.

TTowel, I actually thought Frankfurt was 173k this year from what I saw of a few uploaded rides.

A lot of the IM branded ones are fast, Austria, Denmark, Frankfurt

Jeff
ttowel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got 8 rider files from Barca 2016 and 10 from Frankfurt. Including my own. That qualified my figures
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This course has even less ascent than Outlaw, and the fast road surfaces & lack of dead turns also makes a big difference compared to many UK courses; in addition to being 4-5km less Wink
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barca does tick almost all the 'fast course' boxes - fast/short bike is well known but also the swim is in clear, usually calm water but wetsuit legal, transition is compact for T1 and T2, run flat and temps not too hot.

Yesterday's race also had the old fast two and a half lap rather than the 2 lap with a dogleg inland/uphill bike course, and it clouded over/cooled down for the run. Almost a perfect storm of good factors.

It gets undersold as to just how fast it is as you don't get the top Pro's toeing the start line as they have other business in the Pacific at this time of year, so no 7:40 finish times....

Oi knee, do one....
Honest Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it!

- Calm seas and rolling swim start made a hell of a difference - totally drama free for me other than the occasional jellyfish sighting Wink

- Short transitions and nice 3G astro in the bike park to make running in cleats easier - all good

- Only gripes about the bike course were the first/last 3km "no-pass" zone with narrow roads and speed bumps but not sure how you avoid that, and the moto officials (from what I saw) focusing on individuals passing/being passed for penalties rather than the swarms of alphas that formed throughout the whole length of the course. Stiff-ish head breeze on lap 2 slowed me down a bit, but we had a dry morning/afternoon and excellent road surfaces - deffo PB-friendly. (I had it at just over 179km BTW, so short but not as short as some others have stated).

- Absolutely no issues with the run course at all, it even spotted with rain at about the 9-10hr mark to provide some natural cool

And in the end the change of date worked out well because it rained on Sunday early! And it was kind of cool to be in Catalunya whilst all the referendum shenanigans were going on. Oh and the Calella Oktoberfest started the day after the race, which was a unexpected Brucie Bonus!

The fast course suited a "fatty" like me, and I ended up with a solidly MOP 11h19 (1.06/5.43/4.14). Would recommend it, if you can turn a blind eye to the peloton-tastic bike course.

Cool
PCP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date set for 8th October next year.
Davem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:

its down as the 7th on the IM Website?? Confused Confused
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
PCP wrote:

its down as the 7th on the IM Website?? Confused Confused

You are right, it's changed coz was deffo the 8th on the website when I posted it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: