Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What's your favourite triathlon and why?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Personally I like two sorts of races.

1. A big, well organised, established, mass participation race on an interesting course. Ideally closed roads. Happy to travel to do one of these, once or twice a year, and make a weekend of it. Happy to pay many coin of the realm for the experience.

2. Local races less than one hour from my house. Pitch up on the morning & rack the bike. Course not important, it is more about friendly competition with the other cats in my back yard. The more homespun and cheaper the better, to a point. However, if the bike course does not look safe (dual carriageways, through town centres etc) I will not enter.

yep, that's a pretty good summary of my preferences...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:

1. A big, well organised, established, mass participation race on an interesting course. Ideally closed roads. Happy to travel to do one of these, once or twice a year, and make a weekend of it. Happy to pay many coin of the realm for the experience.

2. Local races less than one hour from my house. Pitch up on the morning & rack the bike. Course not important, it is more about friendly competition with the other cats in my back yard. The more homespun and cheaper the better, to a point. However, if the bike course does not look safe (dual carriageways, through town centres etc) I will not enter.

Pretty much this. Although I'm definitely on a WTC hiatus, as I'm just fed-up with the cost vs. reward now I've done a few.

Ideally, I like decent roads, which are pretty much non-existent in the UK Rolling Eyes I was in Croatia last week, and even their roads put ours to shame. Apart from that, if it's not an Iron dist, I don't care how hard it is; the more scenic the better. Scotland has some awesome scenery, your only issue is a limited road network in the scenic areas, the road surfaces and tourist traffic.

I applaud your desire to put-on a premium event in Scotland, I would love to do it; but how do you intend on tempting enough punters to sign-up? I don't think AlanA's Lomond based events have thrived particularly, despite the locations. I never did one, and my in-laws are only 45 min away as a base.
SF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

Pretty much this. Although I'm definitely on a WTC hiatus, as I'm just fed-up with the cost vs. reward now I've done a few.

Ideally, I like decent roads, which are pretty much non-existent in the UK Rolling Eyes I was in Croatia last week, and even their roads put ours to shame. Apart from that, if it's not an Iron dist, I don't care how hard it is; the more scenic the better. Scotland has some awesome scenery, your only issue is a limited road network in the scenic areas, the road surfaces and tourist traffic.

I applaud your desire to put-on a premium event in Scotland, I would love to do it; but how do you intend on tempting enough punters to sign-up? I don't think AlanA's Lomond based events have thrived particularly, despite the locations. I never did one, and my in-laws are only 45 min away as a base.

This is partly why I'm swerving the location even though it's a big draw for a lot of people - is it enough to get people attending year after year? Or is it a case of been there, done that.

At the moment I have two events in my head, one is a fast sprint triathlon which is near to a lot of scenic things but the course itself isn't particularly awe inspiring. PB course, not everyone's cup of tea but some people's for sure.

The other is an ITU style format. Something a bit different (but has been done before) which would be cheap to enter and fun to race/ watch. Knockout heats with a separate competition which sat alongside the 'qualifiers' from each heat so everyone gets at least a couple of hit outs. Spew buckets at the end of the course for those who need them.

Want to create fun events that don't take the piss on entry fees and be to a standard that people won't feel (as much) like they're in a swimming pool car park. That's the end goal at least.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helvellyn is my favourite, by a long way. I like that it is hard, at points I hate it and quite frankly the views from the mountains! Plus good organisation from Tri Hard.

I did the Sandman many times but the last time it had got an out of control mess. The following year it went over two days so I'd be quite keen to have another go at it!

Slateman always looks great.

As for Scotland I just wouldn't bother to travel 300+ miles for #@?# weather, when I could go 50 and have the same #@?# weather in Wales Smile .

I hate shallow lakes too.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: