Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Anyone do Audax?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
You know, I can't see what's appealing about these out & back routes; where's the sense of adventure riding from London to Edinburgh & back? I'd much rather ride point-to-point or a loop. In the UK, it would have to be in the Highlands; quiet rugged roads, fantastic scenery.

This, I have a bit of a bucket list thing of doing the North Coast 500, camping out most nights.

So many races so little time.
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
You know, I can't see what's appealing about these out & back routes; where's the sense of adventure riding from London to Edinburgh & back? I'd much rather ride point-to-point or a loop. In the UK, it would have to be in the Highlands; quiet rugged roads, fantastic scenery.

This, I have a bit of a bucket list thing of doing the North Coast 500, camping out most nights.

I think out and back is the exception rather than the rule, most mid distance audax's I've done have been a single loop..... LEL and some of the others are that way so as to use the same controls but the route isn't necessarily the same exact road..... not that you'd recognise it 2 days and 2hrs sleep later anyway Wink
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, thanks for the info in your previous post. Very useful. Smile

I'm going to aim to have a go at a 200km event over the autumn at some point and then another one in the spring to start working out kit choices, but will try to keep if pretty light. Just found out that a local club will be organising a series of events over the main distances for PBP qualification so that will make some logistics a bit easier.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
ed_m wrote:
a few 400ks one turned into a 600... and just did London-Edinburgh-London ... so yeh.. what was the question again ?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1127076527

Cool. Smile
Main things:

Did you charge phone / gps as you went, and if so how?

Lights for riding in the dark? Any reccomendations?

Saddlebags / panniers - Any suggestions? Happy to travel relatively light.

Beard / no beard?

Jeff, with you mate on just wanting to ride my bike somewhere nice. Smile

To me (from an ultra running background), audax is like the ldwa of cycling... long distance, relaxed, low key and cheap Smile
hence ideal to just rock up for a training ride or a change of scene (or equally a silly size challenge if you want).

My 810 is good for 10-12hrs, for the 400s (& brutal double) I carried a small lipstick charger (3000mAh?) & cable to keep it topped up whilst riding.
For LEL I had that plus two 10,000mAh batteries for the garmin & phone, with one left in a drop bag to swap later.. in reality one would probably have been enough.

Lights seems a lot of personal preference... I got a magicshine last year which is good for about 8hrs / one night. I've taken to pairing this with a lesser light (knogg blinder) to use for visibility at dusk which means I can probably eek the main battery out over 2 nights. I've also carried a small back up battery for the magicshine...... for LEL I had two large batteries with one in the drop bag.
Ideal might have been an AA powered main light for ease of replacing batteries etc but options seem a bit limited.
Proper investment might be for a dynamo hub & good light set up... but these seem as likely to cause issues on the road (wiring, water ingress) as the hassle battery options.

Carradice is of course the classic saddlepack, or a rackbag but bike packing type packs are increasingly popular. I got an alpkit koala saddlebag this year for LEL and it worked... ok. The key is accessability, the wide carradice or rack packs are easy to open and access anything, the alpkit & similar need to be carefully packed with likely needed stuff on top.. but still a hassle to open / close. So maybe that plus a small bar bag.... I had a larger top tube bag for food / quick bits.

Beards do seem popular, mostly amongst the males. I've gone with a hybrid arrangement.

Some pics of my LEL set up on twitter.... here... and a load of other stuff if you look round the start of august Smile
https://twitter.com/im_ed_m/status/891323074204893184

Also need to set your expectations for longer stuff... the "national" has ALOT of support at almost every control
(https://www.strava.com/activities/1053600896) whilst others you'll be expected to look after yourself more (as per the 400k section of the 600... https://www.strava.com/activities/1066100526)

(Sorry... been an epic year)

My good friend and team mate Juliette Clarke did LEL in just under 101 hours this year. There's an account of her ride here - https://www.hotchillee.com/2017/08/11/1400km-in-101-hours/

It sounds like the conditions were particularly brutal this year. She's a rigourous planner and took the decision to book B&Bs along the route and break it up into set chunks, aiming for a faster pace while riding but with longer breaks to sleep. It sounds like a lot of people aim to do it almost continuously with random sleep breaks along the way. She described seeing sleeping cyclists in every bus shelter along the route Wink .
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite in the same league as a LEL, but I've entered the TINAT 300k BdR next June.

Would've entered the 400, but didn't fancy having to kip in a bus shelter.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:

I'm going to aim to have a go at a 200km event over the autumn at some point and then another one in the spring to start working out kit choices, but will try to keep if pretty light.

I'm guessing you'd just need a set of lights, a puncture kit and some money for drinks en-route. It's only 20km further than an Ironman bike leg, and we do that without giving it a second thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: