Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Health supplements
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
antht




Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Posts: 818
Location: West Midlands

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might not be eating enough either, proper food, not sports junk
are you trying to lose weight? maybe by calorie restriction?

also, what do you eat? if you are one of these people who eat loads of cake and crap because "I'll run it off" then this could be your problem too
_________________
http://thetrinerd.co.uk - The Tri Nerd, my Triathlon Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buzz_




Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 247

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise this is a 7 year old thread resurrected by a since deleted spammer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 277

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
You do realise this is a 7 year old thread resurrected by a since deleted spammer?


Well, I do now Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8091
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:
You do realise this is a 7 year old thread resurrected by a since deleted spammer?


Well, I do now Laughing


How else do you pad your post count these days?
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14791
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is an important topic, just the same...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
newarktricky




Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 5368
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Notts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
For immunity its worth looking into Vit D. Vit D is produced when sun hits your skin, but in this country the sun is only strong enough between May - Sep and then if are like me any significant period of time spent in the sun (bike rides) etc you are covered in sun cream which blocks it.

You can't get any significant levels of Vit D from food alone. Fortified cereals probably have some and there is a bit in eggs and fish but not a lot.

There has been some studies recently suggesting higher Vit D levels means increased immunity. Its also needed for health muscles, bones and teeth.

Worth getting a blood test done at the start and then at 6 months of supplementing. Being fat soluble the levels can build although it will take some doing to get them too high.

Mine was really low couple of years ago. I used to regularly get 5-6 colds per year. Since Vit D levels have increased I have had 2 colds in 2 years.

Other vits like b and c etc you should easily get enough from a half decent diet, unless you are vegan then you will need B12 and probably iron supplements also.


Don't you think the NHS is financially challenged enough without having to accomodate vit D testing for the worried well? Rolling Eyes

NT Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mash180




Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 2365
Location: Watford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newarktricky wrote:
iwaters wrote:
For immunity its worth looking into Vit D. Vit D is produced when sun hits your skin, but in this country the sun is only strong enough between May - Sep and then if are like me any significant period of time spent in the sun (bike rides) etc you are covered in sun cream which blocks it.

You can't get any significant levels of Vit D from food alone. Fortified cereals probably have some and there is a bit in eggs and fish but not a lot.

There has been some studies recently suggesting higher Vit D levels means increased immunity. Its also needed for health muscles, bones and teeth.

Worth getting a blood test done at the start and then at 6 months of supplementing. Being fat soluble the levels can build although it will take some doing to get them too high.

Mine was really low couple of years ago. I used to regularly get 5-6 colds per year. Since Vit D levels have increased I have had 2 colds in 2 years.

Other vits like b and c etc you should easily get enough from a half decent diet, unless you are vegan then you will need B12 and probably iron supplements also.


Don't you think the NHS is financially challenged enough without having to accomodate vit D testing for the worried well? Rolling Eyes

NT Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Don't you think the NHS is financially challenged enough without having to pay cu*ts like you to cycle around Hertfordshire on a TriTalk social while you phone in sick from your NHS job ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16330
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mash180 wrote:
newarktricky wrote:
iwaters wrote:
For immunity its worth looking into Vit D. Vit D is produced when sun hits your skin, but in this country the sun is only strong enough between May - Sep and then if are like me any significant period of time spent in the sun (bike rides) etc you are covered in sun cream which blocks it.

You can't get any significant levels of Vit D from food alone. Fortified cereals probably have some and there is a bit in eggs and fish but not a lot.

There has been some studies recently suggesting higher Vit D levels means increased immunity. Its also needed for health muscles, bones and teeth.

Worth getting a blood test done at the start and then at 6 months of supplementing. Being fat soluble the levels can build although it will take some doing to get them too high.

Mine was really low couple of years ago. I used to regularly get 5-6 colds per year. Since Vit D levels have increased I have had 2 colds in 2 years.

Other vits like b and c etc you should easily get enough from a half decent diet, unless you are vegan then you will need B12 and probably iron supplements also.


Don't you think the NHS is financially challenged enough without having to accomodate vit D testing for the worried well? Rolling Eyes

NT Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Don't you think the NHS is financially challenged enough without having to pay cu*ts like you to cycle around Hertfordshire on a TriTalk social while you phone in sick from your NHS job ?


Popcorn
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 277

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newarktricky wrote:
iwaters wrote:
For immunity its worth looking into Vit D. Vit D is produced when sun hits your skin, but in this country the sun is only strong enough between May - Sep and then if are like me any significant period of time spent in the sun (bike rides) etc you are covered in sun cream which blocks it.

You can't get any significant levels of Vit D from food alone. Fortified cereals probably have some and there is a bit in eggs and fish but not a lot.

There has been some studies recently suggesting higher Vit D levels means increased immunity. Its also needed for health muscles, bones and teeth.

Worth getting a blood test done at the start and then at 6 months of supplementing. Being fat soluble the levels can build although it will take some doing to get them too high.

Mine was really low couple of years ago. I used to regularly get 5-6 colds per year. Since Vit D levels have increased I have had 2 colds in 2 years.

Other vits like b and c etc you should easily get enough from a half decent diet, unless you are vegan then you will need B12 and probably iron supplements also.


Don't you think the NHS is financially challenged enough without having to accomodate vit D testing for the worried well? Rolling Eyes

NT Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


Quite. I have my levels checked by www.medichecks.com, 29 for a VitD at home finger prick test with results checked by a Dr. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.