Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Help me out here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2639

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
The Men In Black have been alerted Very Happy
cracking film.

Funnily enough I was recently explaining to a museum staff member who is as interested in how art and artefacts can “speak to you through time” as I am, with regard to one specific point to do with how you can think things are barmy until years later when you ‘get it yourself’ how the movies can reflect reality.

Example. In an episode of Dr Who when Van Gogh was looking at his artworks in a Paris museum, the curator was telling the Doctor and Van Gogh that he could ‘feel Van Gogh’s agony’ in the art, simply by looking at it. I thought that was barmy, but I can now also do so.

My point don’t diss the movies. There is a lot of esoteric truth hiding in there, if you can (1) work through the fiction, and (2) you are ready in yourself to comprehend it.

For religious folk it’s a bit like the Bible. You can read it and get one thing from it, then years later those same words can reveal so much more. What has changed? Your own personal evolution.

There are tons of keys and signposts hidden in the plain sight of our daily lives to help us, when we are ready.

It’s a pity Ejc that you didn’t go to that exhibition with me, if we got lucky, you might have had your eyes opened to a whole new realm. Mind you when you first ‘tingle’ it can be a tadge scary.

Anyhow it was good to talk to someone who shared similar interests in a museum, given museums can be magnificent initiation grounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14791
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might, but then again, my eyes may already be open, of course...

this post also heralds an unwelcome and inappropriate return of the word esoteric...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2639

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
i might, but then again, my eyes may already be open, of course...

..
indeed, and I have long suspected that something has happened in your life to achieve this. However as you probably know it’s also a hard path to follow.

Ejc, I just can’t quite work out if:-

1. You know, and it scares you. Or
2. You want to know, but are understandably hesitant. Or
3. You are a bit put out that a bloke outwith certain societal structures can achieve what some may see as ‘their knowledge’.
4. Something else.

Anyhow it’s not my intention to upset or disrupt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14791
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
i might, but then again, my eyes may already be open, of course...

..
indeed, and I have long suspected that something has happened in your life to achieve this. However as you probably know it’s also a hard path to follow.
.


Yes, I was born...and yes, life is a hard path to follow...

Next...


SloggingScotsman wrote:


Ejc, I just can’t quite work out if:-

1. You know, and it scares you. Or
2. You want to know, but are understandably hesitant. Or
3. You are a bit put out that a bloke outwith certain societal structures can achieve what some may see as ‘their knowledge’.
4. Something else.
.


I am not sure why you are wasting your time trying to work this out...i would suggest that it would perhaps be a better use of your time to try to understand the content of the questions and answer them rather than try and understand the motivations behind the questions, however,

1. i know what exactly? If you let me know, i will tell you if it scares me.
2. i want to know what exactly? i am not usually hesitant to learn, but you need to be specific.
3. I have no idea what "their knowledge" is or means and i do not recognise the societal structures that permeate your posts. Thus I, and others, have no idea of the value or consequence of this knowledge you claim to have acquired.
Therefore, most replies you receive from TTers are requests for you to be more specific. That there are structures in society is self evident, i just don't see how these map to your reality as posted in these debates (i use the term loosely - please note spelling - and may return to this later). How you position yourself in society is up to you, although i am mildly nauseated by the post modernist identifiers which set up some of your posts, but it is worth knowing that how you are perceived is a result of negotiation, not just how you believe you present yourself.

Apart from a few cases of consequence, the word esoteric tends to be randomly used by those who either think they know more than they actually do, or, want other people to think that they know more than they actually do. You are either in the first case, which would indeed make you special, or one of the second two. If the first, i think you have been very clever at covering your tracks. That you have special interest is obvious, you may indeed have distinct knowledge, however, as posted before, the beauty of knowledge is that there are an infinite number of definitions to a finite number of facts. However, as the post modernists are yet to wake up to, only a few of these are viable interpretations that will function in in the world.

so...

4. This.
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14791
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

however, that we are not the pinnacle of evolution is self evident...you only have to read this forum, or understand probability...


ah.. Fermi paradox & the great filter...


well, i had to go and check that, I recall the Drake equation, but not Fermi...

probability does suggest some other life....

life is, of course, so improbable as we perceive it, that it may actually feature pretty much everywhere...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2639

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejc

I am going to have to think about your words for a while.

Time isn’t wasted by trying to work such things out btw. Such reflective practices is a primary tool of enablement. By attempting to place yourself in the other mans shoes as best you can.

Anyhow I am off to think about your words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doug




Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 15011
Location: Harrow (Doonhamer in exile)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
ed_m wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

however, that we are not the pinnacle of evolution is self evident...you only have to read this forum, or understand probability...


ah.. Fermi paradox & the great filter...


well, i had to go and check that, I recall the Drake equation, but not Fermi...

probability does suggest some other life....

life is, of course, so improbable as we perceive it, that it may actually feature pretty much everywhere...


And for the truly paranoid there is the Dark Forest Theory as solution to the Fermi paradox
_________________
A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise. ~A.A. Milne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14791
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
Ejc

I am going to have to think about your words for a while.

Time isn’t wasted by trying to work such things out btw. Such reflective practices is a primary tool of enablement. By attempting to place yourself in the other mans shoes as best you can.

Anyhow I am off to think about your words.


Indeed reflective practice is good but you can't reflect on what you don't know, you can only reflect on that you don't know it which is pretty useless...and probably leads to incorrect interpretations (especially of motives)...

in which case, you would advance your understanding by learning to effectively discuss and debate...although this would mean moving on from from this restrictive current form of liberalism...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14791
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
ed_m wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

however, that we are not the pinnacle of evolution is self evident...you only have to read this forum, or understand probability...


ah.. Fermi paradox & the great filter...


well, i had to go and check that, I recall the Drake equation, but not Fermi...

probability does suggest some other life....

life is, of course, so improbable as we perceive it, that it may actually feature pretty much everywhere...


And for the truly paranoid there is the Dark Forest Theory as solution to the Fermi paradox


not sure that you need to be paranoid to ask the question...inquisitive should be sufficient...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2639

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
ed_m wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

however, that we are not the pinnacle of evolution is self evident...you only have to read this forum, or understand probability...


ah.. Fermi paradox & the great filter...


well, i had to go and check that, I recall the Drake equation, but not Fermi...

probability does suggest some other life....

life is, of course, so improbable as we perceive it, that it may actually feature pretty much everywhere...


And for the truly paranoid there is the Dark Forest Theory as solution to the Fermi paradox
Shocked

Quote:
This is called chains of suspicion. You don't know for sure what the other side's intentions are. On Earth this is resolved through communication and diplomacy. But for civilizations in different solar systems, that's not possible due to the vast distances and time between message sent and received. Bottom line is, every civilization could be a threat and it's impossible to know for sure, therefore they must be destroyed to ensure your survival.
from https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-Dark-Forest-Theory-of-the-cosmos-which-is-a-response-to-the-Fermi-Paradox


But what about these quantum theory two bits of data being separate yet communicating? And quantum superpositioning http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a18756/atoms-exist-two-places-simultaneously/

Or Just use a wormhole, easy.


Alternatively just consider whether it is indeed possible that religions and ancient legends are correct and Gods or aliens came to Earth in fiery ships, took our women and created us, so instead of looking ‘out there’ just look at the c8billion human beings on this planet. Then mix in a bit of quantum physics jiggery pokery and voilà.

Funny thought that religions could be the best evidence of alien life on this planet. Us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doug




Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 15011
Location: Harrow (Doonhamer in exile)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
doug wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
ed_m wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

however, that we are not the pinnacle of evolution is self evident...you only have to read this forum, or understand probability...


ah.. Fermi paradox & the great filter...


well, i had to go and check that, I recall the Drake equation, but not Fermi...

probability does suggest some other life....

life is, of course, so improbable as we perceive it, that it may actually feature pretty much everywhere...


And for the truly paranoid there is the Dark Forest Theory as solution to the Fermi paradox


not sure that you need to be paranoid to ask the question...inquisitive should be sufficient...


I meant Dark Forest Theory is a paranoid answer - we don't hear any aliens because they are all out to get us, they just haven't found us yet. They keep quiet so they won't be found as they assume we (and all other aliens) are out to get them too.
_________________
A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise. ~A.A. Milne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14791
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
doug wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
ed_m wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

however, that we are not the pinnacle of evolution is self evident...you only have to read this forum, or understand probability...


ah.. Fermi paradox & the great filter...


well, i had to go and check that, I recall the Drake equation, but not Fermi...

probability does suggest some other life....

life is, of course, so improbable as we perceive it, that it may actually feature pretty much everywhere...


And for the truly paranoid there is the Dark Forest Theory as solution to the Fermi paradox


not sure that you need to be paranoid to ask the question...inquisitive should be sufficient...


I meant Dark Forest Theory is a paranoid answer - we don't hear any aliens because they are all out to get us, they just haven't found us yet. They keep quiet so they won't be found as they assume we (and all other aliens) are out to get them too.


ah! we can't manage to communicate effectively with the EU..what hope with aliens (if you can get more alien that the EU, of course)...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2639

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Ejc hits the nail squarely on the head.

Assume for a moment that:-

1. The conspiracy theories are correct and that America, and possibly other nations, have shot down, kidnapped, tortured, medically experimented on, imprisoned, etc, aliens.

2. The authors (who I know are selling books) who have claimed in one case that as a RAF crappie he guarded aliens who no longer wanted to be under American control, (Tim Goods last book) or prefer hiding in Iraq than being in American hands (UFOs in wartime book).

Are true.

Then could you blame aliens for being a bit evasive?

And as Ejc noted we can’t even as human beings get along in the EU.

And theirin lies a key. Once humanity evolves sufficiently more open contact will become routine.

But until we get there we have to deal with issues like:-

1. If America has done such things it could be in their bad books.
2. Individual nations seeking relative technological advantage re downed craft.

Absolute minefield. And that before you even open up the religious aspects.

But the key is human evolution.


But the rewards in terms of trade, holidays, social and cultural development are worth pursuing. There is a big potential marketplace out there.

But just like you have to prove yourself in a job to get promotion, humanity just needs to prove that it can ‘get along’.

I think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 863
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that Just because the odds are in favour of their being other life, it doesn't mean there is.

We really could be a complete one off. As we are still dealing with probability its important to acknowledge there is a remote chance this is it. and a slightly less remote chance that we are at or near the pinnacle.

It is also even more likely still that the vast distances involved in us communicating with other life are just too great. Things are quite far apart on the interstellar scale.

It's highly unlikely something like Seti could pick up any radio signals that were not indented as a focused attempt at contacting us, we can't just tune into their radios stations. If their is life but It's not on the few very near systems the chances are we could just completely miss each other.

Our own radio signals have only reached a few systems within 110 light years of us and would be completely undetectable with our level of technology.

Are we alone, probably not, but saying that is along way from assuming we "should" have made contact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14791
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
And Ejc hits the nail squarely on the head.

Assume for a moment that:-

1. The conspiracy theories are correct and that America, and possibly other nations, have shot down, kidnapped, tortured, medically experimented on, imprisoned, etc, aliens.

.



nope, nope, nope...those two sentences have no connection whatsoever...

so, please assume otherwise...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.