Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garmin Vector 2 - broken off pods, twice!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Garmin Vector 2 - broken off pods, twice! Reply with quote

Hi,

Having read a lot of the advice here, I decided to start training with power, and as the dual-sided Vector 2 was on sale on Wiggle, it was too tempting not to go for it.

After about a month, during a race, the power reading suddenly drops off completely. After the race I discovered that the little plug that goes around the crank arm simply broke off (see picture) - no wonder there was no reading Smile
I had it exchanged for a new one with Wiggle under warranty, and guess what, after another month the same thing happened again, same side!

Anyone experiencing the same issue with the Vector 2 pods?
I am seriously considering changing to another power meter that is easy to change between bikes, are P1s good now or should I just go for the crank arm and forget the hassle?

Thanks,
Darek
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been riding with these for a good few years now and this happened for the first time a couple of months ago so shouldn't be common.

How many spacers do you have between the pod and the crank arm?

The thing I noticed that with too many spacers, there is a bit more stretch on the rubber/plastic band required to get the connector into the plug in the pedal, and actually I wasn't getting the connector fully all the way in as a result, which meant the connector was more prone to popping out going over bumps on that bike than my other one. It was on one of these occasions when the thing snapped completely.

They shouldn't be popping out full stop, and since I took a spacer out, not had any pop-outs since.

Just an idea.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was all the complications of the the pods, and torquing, that convinced me to go crank based when I first got a PM. That said, I then acquired a TT bike about 18m later, and ended up deciding to just get a second, which overall has worked out more expensive.

If I was coming new to power now, I would get pedal based. Up until recently that would have still meant P1s, just because of the ease of switching, but the new Vector 3s seem like Garmin have finally cracked it. Looks just like a normal pedal, so not as ugly as the P1s, and no longer any need for pods or torquing.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problems with a couple of years of swapping vector from bike to bike and with travel...

it failed for no apparent reason, took it it LBS (not purchased from or every spent any money there) who sent it back to garmin and a warranty replacement rocked up two weeks later...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Been riding with these for a good few years now and this happened for the first time a couple of months ago so shouldn't be common.

How many spacers do you have between the pod and the crank arm?

Interesting - I did not actually have any spacers in place, so this should not be an issue... I will perhaps get one more replacement now, and if it fails again will just shift to crank. I really would like the pedal to work appropriately...
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: