Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
David McNamee IM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary M wrote:
SF wrote:
Told you so

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Watched live on Red Bull TV (and IM website’s time tracker). Was very impressive. He was flying out of T2, making very good use of a running buddy like Lange! They went from 14/15 to 6/7 in about 10k before DM dropped off Lange’s pace.

I didn't realise that he'd left T2 with Lange (may have been asleep at that point) but I know the commentary said later in the race he was poised to take Sanders and Lange at the pace he was holding - I guess they hadn't accounted for downhills!

Fantastic result for David. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still scoffing my humble pie here....but the more you look at it the better the performance was.

2015: 52/4:45/2:49
2016: 48/4:45/2:49
2017: 48/4:28/2:45

So 3 sub 2:50 Kona marathons on the bounce, and a 17 minute improvement on the bike this year with an even better run off. No one else other than Lange broke 2:50.

Just for reference his overall time of 8:07 compares to the last 4 winning times of 8:06, 8:14, 8:14, 8:12.

Still 29 which is young for IM (Lange is 31) and hopefully more scope to improve and he'll get amongst the pointy end for a few years yet.

Best get back to that pie......Wink
SF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Still scoffing my humble pie here....but the more you look at it the better the performance was.

2015: 52/4:45/2:49
2016: 48/4:45/2:49
2017: 48/4:28/2:45

So 3 sub 2:50 Kona marathons on the bounce, and a 17 minute improvement on the bike this year with an even better run off. No one else other than Lange broke 2:50.

Just for reference his overall time of 8:07 compares to the last 4 winning times of 8:06, 8:14, 8:14, 8:12.

Still 29 which is young for IM (Lange is 31) and hopefully more scope to improve and he'll get amongst the pointy end for a few years yet.

Best get back to that pie......Wink

Think he's been doing a fair bit with big Jan (from what I've observed on Insta) so no doubt helped his biking. I think that extra couple of minutes on the run was probably helped a great deal with having someone to run with.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a bit of noise on social media yesterday about a release that Huub put out congratulating David Macnamee on the "best ever Kona finisher by a Brit". They obviously meant by a British man, but it was seen as a snub to Lucy Charles, especially as there was some confusion over whether she was still a Huub-sponsored athlete Rolling Eyes
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
There was a bit of noise on social media yesterday about a release that Huub put out congratulating David Macnamee on the "best ever Kona finisher by a Brit". They obviously meant by a British man,

Male or not, that's just outright sloppy on Huub's part; missing Cave's win perhaps, but Wellington's 4 wins are pretty easy to remember Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Jorgan on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
There was a bit of noise on social media yesterday about a release that Huub put out congratulating David Macnamee on the "best ever Kona finisher by a Brit". They obviously meant by a British man, but it was seen as a snub to Lucy Charles, especially as there was some confusion over whether she was still a Huub-sponsored athlete Rolling Eyes

Yeah, saw that and with the somewhat snide tweets that were made from the HUUB account during Kona were all a bit weird.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:

Yeah, saw that and with the somewhat snide tweets that were made from the HUUB account during Kona were all a bit weird.

I seem to remember some unprofessional tweets by Huub after the Dirty Harry episode last year. Their wetsuits aren't up to much either.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

That said, this year was clearly the fastest weather year in ages (perhaps ever). DM's time is faster than Mark Allen at his peak, but I don't think anyone is going to agree he's the better Ironman over that course Wink

Winning times do seem to be getting consistently lower though; you don't really see any 8:2* wins anymore.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

That said, this year was clearly the fastest weather year in ages (perhaps ever). DM's time is faster than Mark Allen at his peak, but I don't think anyone is going to agree he's the better Ironman over that course Wink

Winning times do seem to be getting consistently lower though; you don't really see any 8:2* wins anymore.[/quote]

Yes, seems to have been relatively benign for a few years now; be good to see the race unfold on a really strong wind day to swing things back towards the bikers, as opposed to the fastest runner in the main swim pack.

Either that or 20m draft zone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: