Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Travelling with a disc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Travelling with a disc Reply with quote

So, what's the best approach people have come up with?

I've rented Bike Box Alan's (our club has some that we share around) before, but the central pole means a disc would be an issue.

I've heard of people being able to take a disc on the plane as carry on?

Are there bike boxes out there than can work properly with disc wheels? I've searched google, but no real luck. The velovault apparently lists itself as disc compatible, but has the same type of central support pole as BBA.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I potentially have 2/3/4 overseas trips next year, so buying might be appropriate if there is something that does the job. Even if storage in a 1 bed London flat is going to be a right pain in the ar$e!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my BW solid case a couple of times with no issue, both wheels were in padded bags; I used other bit of kit to pad it out too. I also like to leave a little bit of space inside the case, so that things have space to move if there's an impact, and not resist the force i.e. I don't cram it full.
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you just not fit the central post? The BBA shell is essentially the same as my old Scicon box, which has survived 20-odd trips with no central support without any problems. It's a "nice to have" feature for extra security, but your bike should be fine in the box without it.

Alternatively, if you put the disc in a wheel bag it might fit in the box loose if you lie it on top of the frame. I've managed to fit a 3rd wheel in my box, but I'm not sure how it would fit with the central post.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Can you just not fit the central post? The BBA shell is essentially the same as my old Scicon box, which has survived 20-odd trips with no central support without any problems. It's a "nice to have" feature for extra security, but your bike should be fine in the box without it.

Alternatively, if you put the disc in a wheel bag it might fit in the box loose if you lie it on top of the frame. I've managed to fit a 3rd wheel in my box, but I'm not sure how it would fit with the central post.

Not using the central post is something I've considered. Like you say, it's a nice to have but probably something that can be omitted without too much of an issue.

The main thing I found recently with the BBA is the weight of the thing! I borrowed someone else's box the last time, and it was more of just a rectangular foam padded, plastic shell, with complete freedom of how you packed stuff. The BBA was easier to pack in some regards, but I hardly had anything else in it and was at the 32kg limit. With the other one, I got an entire weeks worth of swim/bike/run training gear in the box for a camp, and was still well under 32kgs. So the weight of the box itself is something I'm now seeing as relevant.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a BBA to Mallorca with a disk wheel and all my race gear - shoes, helmet, kit etc.
Just removed the middle pole and left it at home.
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of wheel sized circles cut out of thick carpet underlay that I use as added protection. Works well...so far....
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of pole does worry me though, so I am going to experiment with moving the pole to a different location, using a couple of ends for a wardrobe hanging rail, may have to shorten the pole as it may not be in the widest part of the box and not entirely sure how to fix them to the box yet.

I strongly suspect it makes naff all difference other than to my peace of mind however...
Lloydy75

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
I took a BBA to Mallorca with a disk wheel and all my race gear - shoes, helmet, kit etc.
Just removed the middle pole and left it at home.

Same here, used mine in exactly the same way several times this year and thankfully all fine!
Cotswold 113 14
Ocean Lava Wales /Lanza 14
70.3 Stafford 15
IM 70.3 Dublin 15 16 17
Challenge Salou 16
The Championship 17
Gdynia 17
70.3 Lanza 16
70.3 Weymouth 70.3 17
70.3 Marbs 18
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
The lack of pole does worry me though, so I am going to experiment with moving the pole to a different location, using a couple of ends for a wardrobe hanging rail, may have to shorten the pole as it may not be in the widest part of the box and not entirely sure how to fix them to the box yet.

I strongly suspect it makes naff all difference other than to my peace of mind however...

Update: have now fitted a second pole that now fits with a disc/wide section front combo. Surprisingly it needed a longer pole on the new location, so I now have two.

Looks to work well so far. Send me all your BBA's and a cheque for 350 and I'll do yours....for 500 the pole will be carbon... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: