Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Rinse and repeat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Rinse and repeat Reply with quote

Pay more to not drink this drink

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-health/nutrition/unit-nutrition-launches-unit-rinse
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't know GB had a team at Kona

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
i didn't know GB had a team at Kona

Mouth dissolving tramadol has many benefits indeed...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2690800/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does this stuff differ from rinsing with any other carbohydrate sports drink or indeed sugar solution; apart from value for money perhaps.
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
UNIT RINSE is based on an extensive body of conclusive research that demonstrates how rinsing a carbohydrate solution in the mouth for 5-10 seconds before discharging, improves the capacity for sustained moderate to high intensity exercise of approx. one hour in duration.

The benefit of the newly launched mouth rinse is achieved by stimulating carbohydrate receptors in the mouth with periodic small rinses, which activates areas of the brain associated with pleasure, reward, motivation and motor control. This in turn reduces the athlete’s perception of fatigue and increases power output, resulting in a performance boost. This follows evidence that suggests that the ingestion of carbohydrates has no performance benefits when exercising for less than approx. one hour.

should be good for8hrs+ of IM racing then ?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Quote:
UNIT RINSE is based on an extensive body of conclusive research that demonstrates how rinsing a carbohydrate solution in the mouth for 5-10 seconds before discharging, improves the capacity for sustained moderate to high intensity exercise of approx. one hour in duration.

The benefit of the newly launched mouth rinse is achieved by stimulating carbohydrate receptors in the mouth with periodic small rinses, which activates areas of the brain associated with pleasure, reward, motivation and motor control. This in turn reduces the athlete’s perception of fatigue and increases power output, resulting in a performance boost. This follows evidence that suggests that the ingestion of carbohydrates has no performance benefits when exercising for less than approx. one hour.

should be good for8hrs+ of IM racing then ?

This is the received wisdom, but it probably depends on the intensity of the exercise too. I do have a few swigs of 'energy' stimulation drink on the bike in a Sprint; you know, Red Bull or usually the supermarket equivalent. It's just sugar, caffeine & taurine - but at 49p a can, why not. Wonder how much this will cost...
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that the 'boost' from the carbs is instant and does not need to wait to be digested, but is there actually any benefit from not ingesting? Apart from maybe avoiding stomach issues. Given that you need to feed during an ironman, why would you swill and spit as well?

This sounds like someone reading the headline of some research and developing a product to fill a gap that doesn't actually exist.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spit or swallow, eh?
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also claim it's No Added Sugar.... How's that work ? I suppose a bag of Silver Spoon is no ADDED sugar....

Christ if these guys can sell this, then us Triafleets are even dumber than I thought...
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
I have heard that the 'boost' from the carbs is instant and does not need to wait to be digested, but is there actually any benefit from not ingesting? Apart from maybe avoiding stomach issues. Given that you need to feed during an ironman, why would you swill and spit as well?

This sounds like someone reading the headline of some research and developing a product to fill a gap that doesn't actually exist.

If I remember the original research correctly....and I suppose I could go and look it up....it tricked the body to believe that carbs were on their way. What they should have gone on to research is, of course, what happens after a while when said carbs do not arrive.....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:

If I remember the original research correctly....and I suppose I could go and look it up....it tricked the body to believe that carbs were on their way. What they should have gone on to research is, of course, what happens after a while when said carbs do not arrive.....

Thought it might be something like that, thanks eJC.

Having kids, I'm a firm believer in tricking the body. How many of you have noticed that absolute power-surge happening immediately after they have had food? As in a few minutes after. There is no way the body could have processed and generated energy from it yet at that point but it must believe there is energy on the way and as such allow the system to start burning. If you haven't seen this phenomenon then go see someone who has kids aged 2-3 and witness the post-dinner (not the dinner, that's just a mess). It's amazing.

But yes, I'd hate to see the crash should that energy then not arrive. That'd be noisy.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

Having kids, I'm a firm believer in tricking the body. How many of you have noticed that absolute power-surge happening immediately after they have had food? As in a few minutes after. There is no way the body could have processed and generated energy from it yet at that point but it must believe there is energy on the way and as such allow the system to start burning. If you haven't seen this phenomenon then go see someone who has kids aged 2-3 and witness the post-dinner (not the dinner, that's just a mess). It's amazing.

But yes, I'd hate to see the crash should that energy then not arrive. That'd be noisy.

An excellent observation! Indeed the crash does come, and it's not pretty. Basically tantrums and insisting that "I.am.not.tired!" which is the sure sign that they are.

This Unit Rinse is, when you consider any other sugary drink will do the same thing, snake oil.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're claiming that you continue with your normal energy plan, but use this like a little hit of NOS at a strategic point in the race. You know, when you want to make that pass into 489th position from 490th. Just like Vin Diesel (or was it the other one) in that The Fast and the Furious 83 movie.

Invaluable.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget everyone, you can swallow this stuff too; just like a regular sports beverage.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

combined with the energy patch.... http://www.nrgpatch.com.sg/ onto a winner Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: