Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stolen goat, any good?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Stolen goat, any good? Reply with quote

I don't really need any more kit, as I have all bases covered. I however, hate clutter and the technical fabrics have come on a long way in the last couple of years and I'd like less 'things' and have stuff that does more than one job.

Looking at the Stolen Goat stuff, their claims are pretty bold considering the price. Mixed reviews re quality online. Any experience?

Not interested in recs for other brands, I'm aware of these.

Last edited by FatPom on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking at something like the Orkaan Jersey? I'm intrigued by the assertion that it's a soft waterproof fabric, and that the waterproof finish is manufactured into the material i.e. it won't wash out like others. They seem to place less emphasis on the windproof part (they say resistant iirc) and I find windproofing an important quality of lightweight kit that's supposed to span most of the off season.

Will be interesting to hear any real-world feeback from users, as I really like this sort of approach to clothing. The Rothko Climb & Conquer Jkt looks very competitive at 149 given the claims/spec (echoing what you said).
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Are you looking at something like the Orkaan Jersey? I'm intrigued by the assertion that it's a soft waterproof fabric, and that the waterproof finish is manufactured into the material i.e. it won't wash out like others. They seem to place less emphasis on the windproof part (they say resistant iirc) and I find windproofing an important quality of lightweight kit that's supposed to span most of the off season.

Will be interesting to hear any real-world feeback from users, as I really like this sort of approach to clothing. The Rothko Climb & Conquer Jkt looks very competitive at 149 given the claims/spec (echoing what you said).

Yeah thats the one, they seem to offer it in short and long sleeve and there is a 'jacket' (that looks more like a thicker jersey).

I've seen reports ranging from 'brilliant' to colours that run and dodgy stiching. If those garments do what they say they do though, could drastically reduce the amount of kit you need . (if you can live with the dumb name!)
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

I've got one on now. I don't know why I'm still wearing it in the house....

It is weird; feels waterproof, and would probably stand a light shower.
When I first got it I thought I would cook in it but I find I don't but I don't get cold in it either. It sounds a bit rustley on, the fit is great, good sized pockets.

It is my favourite winter jacket.

I've got a few short sleeved jerseys too - laser cut sleeves, great prints, full length zip Smile, zipped little back pocket within one of the 3 big back pockets.

I'm a Stolen Goat fan Smile
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need something that fits the middle ground and is visible...

all my good jackets are black and i wont wear them on the road commute...and my others are too light and I am already beginning to feel the chill at the start of the morning commute or make me sweat like a pig

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

all my good jackets are black and i wont wear them on the road commute...and my others are too light and I am already beginning to feel the chill at the start of the morning commute or make me sweat like a pig

I wonder if a 'convertible' jacket would be good for you. Obviously 2 jackets in one with the removable sleeves (you could wear arm warmers with or without jacket sleeves), but also you can vent your underarms where the zips are. Until I trashed it, my Gaor Phantom was a very good jacket, although a little loose fitting by today's fashions. Perfetto Convertible maybe?

I fancied a set of the Stolen Goat weatherproof arm warmers, until I saw the designs, which are a bit marmite.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I wonder if a 'convertible' jacket would be good for you. Obviously 2 jackets in one with the removable sleeves (you could wear arm warmers with or without jacket sleeves), but also you can vent your underarms where the zips are. Until I trashed it, my Gaor Phantom was a very good jacket, although a little loose fitting by today's fashions. Perfetto Convertible maybe?

I fancied a set of the Stolen Goat weatherproof arm warmers, until I saw the designs, which are a bit marmite.

yep...i could just actually stop being lazy and layer up at the start and stop and take a layer off later on...but that's not as much fun as buying a new jacket...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

yep...i could just actually stop being lazy and layer up at the start and stop and take a layer off later on...but that's not as much fun as buying a new jacket...

What about a Gilet then; you probably didn't think of that Wink Since this is a Stolen Goat thread, I'll link to their products, even though they don't appeal to me:
https://stolengoat.com/product-category/clothing/cycling-gilets/?filter_gender=male
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

What about a Gilet then; you probably didn't think of that Wink Since this is a Stolen Goat thread, I'll link to their products, even though they don't appeal to me:
https://stolengoat.com/product-category/clothing/cycling-gilets/?filter_gender=male

i don't have the tattoos....

dazzmaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Castelli Perfetto for you then, in fluorescent yellow.

Last week is a good example: 10deg commute with just a mesh base layer on Thursday, 3deg wintry long ride on Sunday - with full long sleeve base layer.

Both rides great, after a few mins of warming up the weekend ride was just perfect. Jacket stays super visible throughout, deep pockets etc. as Jorgan says.
'16: Copenhagen IM
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzmaster wrote:
I can wholeheartedly recommend the Castelli Perfetto for you then, in fluorescent yellow.

Last week is a good example: 10deg commute with just a mesh base layer on Thursday, 3deg wintry long ride on Sunday - with full long sleeve base layer.

Both rides great, after a few mins of warming up the weekend ride was just perfect. Jacket stays super visible throughout, deep pockets etc. as Jorgan says.

this?
https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Castelli/Perfetto-Long-Sleeve-Jersey/EFRR?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_QAM1tHOi4QMX98lgctXbgkWKRXR4tPvCDk3ZJ_n3mft2ejCabF2_waAs_wEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

yep, when it is half the price...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

this?
https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Castelli/Perfetto-Long-Sleeve-Jersey/EFRR?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_QAM1tHOi4QMX98lgctXbgkWKRXR4tPvCDk3ZJ_n3mft2ejCabF2_waAs_wEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sigh. Haven't you heard of Ebay, or shopping around. This is the convertible which 'retails' at 200+ . For 109.99 here:
https://www.tweekscycles.com/cycling-clothing/jackets/castelli-perfetto-convertible-jacket
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

this?

Sigh. Haven't you heard of Ebay, or shopping around. This is the convertible which 'retails' at 200+ . For 109.99 here:
https://www.tweekscycles.com/cycling-clothing/jackets/castelli-perfetto-convertible-jacket

it's black!!!!

hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castelli are designed for 5ft nothing 50kg Italians. and rather than going up in proportions the XXL is designed for a 5ft Italian that weighs 150kg.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Castelli are designed for 5ft nothing 50kg Italians. and rather than going up in proportions the XXL is designed for a 5ft Italian that weighs 150kg.

Fits me fine; but then not everyone has a 'model' physique Very Happy I'm a L and 181/75kg, although oddly the Gabba was an M for race fit iirc.

You need to buy Dutch or Croatian kit, for beanpoles, if it exists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: