Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swim watches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevemac32

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Swim watches Reply with quote

Hi all
Im in the market for an open water swim watch not the pool only ones any recomendations my main needs are:
    Pace
    Distance
    GPS
    Lap counter good but not necessary.

i dont need a multi sports watch but thought a swim only one would be cheaper.

Thanks
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find it hard to find a swim only GPS watch. Once they have put a GPS chip in it becomes a mutlisport watch.

If you don't want to spend much look for 2nd hand or one of the Garmin factory refresh jobs.

I bought a factory refresh 910XT 18 months ago for just over 100 notes.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not looking for swim specific metrics like stroke rate then any GPS tracking device will do. For best accuracy it is recommended to place under your swim cap, though this is of limited benefit if you want to view during the swim and/or manually press lap.

As an aside, when/why did garmin get rid of autolap by position? This was a great feature for swimming or cycling multiple laps and taking splits without having to break stroke or take hands off the handlebars. Less of a concern for running, but for swim/bike I used it all the time.
kevb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go swimming in my local river, and the misses bought me one of those orange inflatable bags (great bit of kit by the way). I just put my Garmin Edge 200 in it, already started, and it works great.
BigFoz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I go swimming in my local river, and the misses bought me one of those orange inflatable bags (great bit of kit by the way). I just put my Garmin Edge 200 in it, already started, and it works great.

Yep, I stick my phone in a placky sealable sandwich bag inside the Swim Secure tow float and use Strava. Gives accurate recordings up to about 1.5k offshore. In the rivers / Lochs it's usually bang on too. Adds on the walk to the sea and into swimmable depth, which at Ayr can be a long old way at low tide...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: