Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Running shorts with inserts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Running shorts with inserts Reply with quote

No matter what the distance or the weather, I always get chafing between my upper thighs when I run. Winter isn't so bad if I wear tights but I don't want to all the time.

What are your suggestions for shorts with inserts? They don't have to be compression inserts, just something tight. I'm on a very tight budget really too if possible.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tub of Vaseline would be cheaper.

I use that on longer runs, but don't really get that much chaffing.

Jeff
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are "shorts with inserts"? Are you talking about those tiny running shorts that let your balls hang out, but with some sort of long under portion to stop your balls hanging out, but also stop your thighs rubbing?

But the obvious question is what's wrong with just normal tight running shorts, all of them will stop your thighs rubbing? To stop any rubbing from seams around the top, some good running underwear will sort that out.
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
what are "shorts with inserts"? Are you talking about those tiny running shorts that let your balls hang out, but with some sort of long under portion to stop your balls hanging out, but also stop your thighs rubbing?

But the obvious question is what's wrong with just normal tight running shorts, all of them will stop your thighs rubbing? To stop any rubbing from seams around the top, some good running underwear will sort that out.

With kind of cycling shorts as a 2nd layer.
Iíve got loads of shorts from cheap to expensive and they all move up when I am running so my legs rub.
Iím guessing I donít run normally but I donít have a weird gait.
tin pot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Iíve got loads of shorts from cheap to expensive and they all move up when I am running so my legs rub.

You mean as a first layer?

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/100210860/Under-Armour-Qualifier-2-in-1-Short-Internal-Black-AW17-1289625-001S-2.jpg?w=1000&h=1000&a=7
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K Ď18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes like that.
Iím aware that they sell them, I was after recommendations really if other people use them.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically 2 solutions

1. straightforward lycra running shorts as opposed to traditional baggy ones. as a large bloke I have run in them for many many years and not suffered thigh chafe - chafe in barse and arse-crack at times on very long sweaty runs (vas sorts that out) but not on thighs. BUT these type of shorts seem to be falling out of fashion and not so easy to find now due to ........

2. shorts with lycra liners as per the Under Armour shots. I think these have become more common due to the modesty brigade - chaps not wanting to have their meat and 2 veg so prominently displayed with just a lycra covering. dog knows why as it's never bothered me, and what do people wear in the pool or with tri shorts as they aren't exactly modesty covers!!! anyhoo - PC'ness aside I have 4 pairs of them UA shorts and they are both comfy and fine to run in - no issues at all. I also find them comfy as general summer shorts although as you don't wear pants with them, they are not for long term general wear for obvious reasons!

HTH
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
PCP wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

You mean as a first layer?

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/100210860/Under-Armour-Qualifier-2-in-1-Short-Internal-Black-AW17-1289625-001S-2.jpg?w=1000&h=1000&a=7

I have a pair of theses and well I think they are the same. They do the job quite well, my only complaint is the pockets on the side- things fall out.

My body shape has changed a bit so I don't suffer from chafed thighs quite so much now but I used to wear skins or 2xu active compression shorts. I preferred the skins ones as the 2xu chaffed a bit on my bum!

So many races so little time.
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:

1. straightforward lycra running shorts as opposed to traditional baggy ones. as a large bloke I have run in them for many many years and not suffered thigh chafe - chafe in barse and arse-crack at times on very long sweaty runs (vas sorts that out) but not on thighs. BUT these type of shorts seem to be falling out of fashion and not so easy to find now due to ........

Yep, +1 on this. Vaseline works an absolute treat and always forms a non-negotiable ingredient to cake in there for long-distance events particularly when already sore coming off the bike.

I've always run in lycra shorts or tights and never had any chafing other than during seriously long, hot runs (ie Marathon distance) in the aforementioned regions where the Vaseline then came out.

I can't bring myself to say arse crack.

Oh. I did.

My 15 minutes of fame
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

Yep, +1 on this. Vaseline works an absolute treat and always forms a non-negotiable ingredient to cake in there for long-distance events particularly when already sore coming off the bike.

I've always run in lycra shorts or tights and never had any chafing other than during seriously long, hot runs (ie Marathon distance) in the aforementioned regions where the Vaseline then came out.

I can't bring myself to say arse crack.

Oh. I did.

there have been the 1 or 2 times when I'v slapped so much vas in there that it almost feels like I've crapped myself but as soon as it spreads around a bit it's not too bad.

btw - I said arse-crack not arse crack. Wink
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar issues, so bought a pair of skins running compression shorts. They aren't cheap, but there are deals around. The added benefit is seriously reduced DOMs following longer runs, and also knowing where my nadgers are at all times.
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
I have similar issues, so bought a pair of skins running compression shorts. They aren't cheap, but there are deals around. The added benefit is seriously reduced DOMs following longer runs, and also knowing where my nadgers are at all times.

As soon as Jim mentioned balls hanging out I was expecting you in here Very Happy
kevb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For shorter runs, decathlon basic shorts; https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-dry-mens-shorts-id_8325701.html

For longer runs, I tend to suffer nipple rash after more than 90min, so wear my tri suit with a t-shirt or running vest.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
FoulOleRon wrote:

As soon as Jim mentioned balls hanging out I was expecting you in here Very Happy

It's uncanny isn't it. I sort of liken it to the Field of Dreams effect, but with trouser conkers.

"If you dangle them, he will come"
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just run in tri shorts with a very thin pad in them, they have a decent size pocket across the rear too. Not sure why you wouldn't just do that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: