Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Gwen Jorgensen ... Marathonwomen
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
WTS event winner $18k....nyc marathon winner $100k

And in 2015 she won 7 WTS events, including the Grand Final. She was world no.1 and is Olympic Champion giving her plenty of endorsement opportunities and appearance fees.

She has to win NYC to get $100K. She might not have to win the Olympics to command the same appearance and endorsement deals, but at least be No.1 USA athlete. Not saying she can't do it, but I'd have given her a better chance of Tokyo Gold in Tri than marathon. But as I say, good luck.
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

And in 2015 she won 7 WTS events, including the Grand Final. She was world no.1 and is Olympic Champion giving her plenty of endorsement opportunities and appearance fees.

She has to win NYC to get $100K. She might not have to win the Olympics to command the same appearance and endorsement deals, but at least be No.1 USA athlete. Not saying she can't do it, but I'd have given her a better chance of Tokyo Gold in Tri than marathon. But as I say, good luck.

Travelled around the world to get those 7 wins though and I'm not so sure that USAT are as generous as GBR with funding either as there is no government or lottery backing. Its all sponsor backed, or was. NYC marathon winner will get massive worldwide endorsements as marathon running is a major sport. Tri is still just a minority sport and ITU is a minority of a minority in the US.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Travelled around the world to get those 7 wins though and I'm not so sure that USAT are as generous as GBR with funding either as there is no government or lottery backing. Its all sponsor backed, or was. NYC marathon winner will get massive worldwide endorsements as marathon running is a major sport. Tri is still just a minority sport and ITU is a minority of a minority in the US.

Don't forget stuff like $60K for winning Island house: http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Jorgensen_Murray_take_Island_House_overall_6092.html

I think the original point is that prize money-wise, it's a safer bet that she'd get more prize money from WTS and other tri events than marathon/road (depending how likely you think it would be starts winning major maras).

But as you say, winning these tri events comes with a lot of travel, and presumably there's a bigger sponsorship upside if she becomes the face of US distance running.

But as others have said, this decision is probably less about money than a new challenge and more time at home.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

endorsements for athletics are far superior to triathlon...she also had to travel far and wide to pick up the 7 wins...

she'd also get USA division prize money too

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: