Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will turbo wrote:
I was booked into sol lanzarote but couldn't arse with the aggro of walking to the start in the morning, reckon it 3-4K
So booked the hotel thats on the beach next too the start line. More expensive

Yeah looked on the map and its a bit of distance. I'm having 2nd thoughts. The rooms all look to have 1 bed and sofa bed. Not sure the kids would be that comfortable sharing a bed for a week. Especially as the sofa bed is in the main lounge area.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
It it probably 150m from Hoyas Hondas beach, not the main PDC beach where the start is..

The run course does skirt past it though

Not for me chaps, but aren't you going to go back for the umpteenth time Dave? Smile How's your form / injuries at the mo? You've got a good six months to get into some kinda shape anyway.
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Davem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Davem wrote:
It it probably 150m from Hoyas Hondas beach, not the main PDC beach where the start is..

The run course does skirt past it though

Not for me chaps, but aren't you going to go back for the umpteenth time Dave? Smile How's your form / injuries at the mo? You've got a good six months to get into some kinda shape anyway.

only my 4th IM lanzo (plus the two Enduroman ones)

Injuries - still got glass achilles tendons... not run longer than 5 miles in over a year

on the positive side - Endless pool is back up and running, and started a new job 17 miles from home, so started cycling in 2 times a week.

Wont be making lanzo next year though - Mrs DaveM booked us onto a cruise round the med for a week instead... Rolling Eyes
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for those who have done it before what are the kit recommendations? I assume TT bike is still king with all that wind. What about gearing? I am large and heavy, I hope with extreme dieting to be down around 87Kg. I have a 28 tooth granny at the back and currently a 52/36 chainset. Wondering if I should swap the 50/34 on to it from my road bike?

Problem I have at this size is riding slow enough up hills to not spike my power.

Wheels I have 65mm rear, 40mm front - think they should be ok with my weight over them in the wind?

Is a full TT aero helmet too much in that heat?

I assume as well most hotels are used to people bringing their bikes in and don't mind?
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
So for those who have done it before what are the kit recommendations? I assume TT bike is still king with all that wind. What about gearing? I am large and heavy, I hope with extreme dieting to be down around 87Kg. I have a 28 tooth granny at the back and currently a 52/36 chainset. Wondering if I should swap the 50/34 on to it from my road bike?

Problem I have at this size is riding slow enough up hills to not spike my power.

Wheels I have 65mm rear, 40mm front - think they should be ok with my weight over them in the wind?

Is a full TT aero helmet too much in that heat?

I assume as well most hotels are used to people bringing their bikes in and don't mind?

Definitely go with the TT bike. You'll find yourself spending a lot of time riding into the wind and most of the climbs are pretty steady and more than do-able on the aero bars. If you can hold the aero position for most of the last 60km after Mirador del Rio, you'll pass loads of people. There's usually lots of folks sitting up on the base bar by then.

As an ex-rower, I'm also a big unit. I think I've been around 90-93kg for all 5 of my times at Lanza. I'm down to 92kg already this time round, so hopefully I'll be under 90kg on race day this time. I think my best Lanza split was about 5:50. I reckon I was in similar shape in 2015, but the wind was particularly strong and I ended up riding 6:24.

I've always just ridden a standard 53/39 chainset with an 11-25 cassette. I think the steepest climbs are the section past the windmills on Mirador do Haria and bits of the del Rio climb and I've never felt like I was over geared on them. The 53x11 comes in useful on the faster downhill sections, where you can power along on the tri bars.

I've always used Mavic Cosmic Carbones, which are about 40mm deep front and rear. You do need to be conscious of where the wind is coming from, because even as a heavier rider you'll find yourself heading towards the lava fields on some of the more exposed corners Shocked . 65mm on the rear should be fine.

I don't have a full TT helmet, so can't really comment on the pros and cons on that course. I've used a Specialized Evade aero road helmet the last couple of times. As far as heat on the bike goes, you do get years when it is sunny from the start, but typically the day starts overcast and the sun only starts to break through in the 2nd half of the bike loop. I've had damp mist on Mirador de Haria a couple of times and it's actually felt cold up there. It's always roasting hot on the run Wink
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks Whisk. Good information, especially from someone similar size to me.

I stick with the 52/36 chainset for now and see how my training rides go when I am down to race weight. I can probably live without a 53/11 and will have 52/11 anyway. My downhill speed is usually limited by my balls rather than my gearing
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Cool thanks Whisk. Good information, especially from someone similar size to me.

I stick with the 52/36 chainset for now and see how my training rides go when I am down to race weight. I can probably live without a 53/11 and will have 52/11 anyway. My downhill speed is usually limited by my balls rather than my gearing

The road from Tinajo to La Santa and the descent from Del Rio are both good roads for putting it in your biggest gear and powering it along.

There's also a really fast descent towards the LZ1 and PdC near the end where I usually bottle it and start to apply the brakes when I hit 80km/h with a gusty crosswind and a roundabout fast approaching Shocked Straight after that, you've got the infamous "donkey track", which always scares the crap out of me! You usually see someone who's overcooked it and ended up in a dry stone wall Shocked
iwaters

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
iwaters wrote:

The road from Tinajo to La Santa and the descent from Del Rio are both good roads for putting it in your biggest gear and powering it along.

There's also a really fast descent towards the LZ1 and PdC near the end where I usually bottle it and start to apply the brakes when I hit 80km/h with a gusty crosswind and a roundabout fast approaching Shocked Straight after that, you've got the infamous "donkey track", which always scares the crap out of me! You usually see someone who's overcooked it and ended up in a dry stone wall Shocked

I think I know some of those bits. I did a training camp in March in Lanza, going again next year. Some of the roads were fun and frightening how fast you could go down them. There was a big lad on our camp who had no fear and I thought he was going to break the sound barrier down some of them.

Still haven't booked a hotel yet. The Sol looked good but is a bit far and a lot of them dont have very good family rooms - the kids bed is the sofa. Looking at some two bedroom apartments now.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start list up so far

guessing will be a lot more register 30th dec before next price increase Wink
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

Straight after that, you've got the infamous "donkey track", which always scares the crap out of me! You usually see someone who's overcooked it and ended up in a dry stone wall Shocked

Just like I did in 2015... Rolling Eyes

Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

So I'm heading back to Lanza in 2018, and I've got the opportunity to be sponsored by 'The Triathlon Shop', a great shop near my home town. I've made the final cut - I'm down to the last 40, with 20 places available. The sponsors want to see some social media activity, which will help them determine who makes the cut or not.

If anyone would care to like, comment or share the following link, I'd be very grateful. The more activity they see, the more likely I am to make it.

My post is under my real name, Graeme Osborne...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TTSraceteam/community/?ref=page_internal

Thanks everyone, I appreciate anything you can do to help.

See you in Lanza,

Ozzie
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people do about bike transport? Seems none of the tri bike shipper type people will take a bike from the UK for obvious reasons.

Just seems taking my bike is a pain. Need to buy/hire a box, take it on the plane, then need to hire a car other end and because the family will be me will need a huge car (or have to do two trips to/from the airport). Then will worry about the bike being knicked for the rest of the week.

Training is going well - the logistics of organising the event are getting on my tits.
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be hesitant to hire a bike out there, as you have no track record of history/reliability/inherent problems etc. Plus there's the familiarity/size/fit. All worries that you don't need on race week.

The few times I've flown to Lanza I've hired a bike box from my local shop. It was about 60 for the duration of the trip. It was easy to pack, easy to transport, and built like a tank. I used the spare space in the box for things like the wetsuit, so it acted as a separate suitcase!

As for worrying about your bike being stolen, the week after Lanza I generally don't give a rats a$$ about my bike, and would be glad to see the back of it! (Only kidding... or am I?)
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Airport is quite close so two trips in a reasonable car is doable if your family are willing to hang around at the airport while you fanny about getting your bike to the hotel / villa

We did it that way but we were 1+3 athletes so more tolerant of fannying about. It's the only time you need more than a mid sized car.

As we were in a villa I never worried about security, especially after the race as like Ozzie I would have been fine to have never seen a bike again.

I always use my trusty DHB Bike Bag. With loads of padding it's never let me down. But most people are squeamish about soft bags.

After months / years getting my body to accustomed and moulded to MY bike I could never race on a hire bike.

Honestly lanzarote was one of the easier logistical destinations we have raced.
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Think I am flapping over nothing. I used a soft bag when I went on my tri camp this year, that seemed fine but I only had an old Trek 1.1. Taking the P3 I am thinking a solid box may be better.

I'm sure if we can find the kids a cake and milkshake they will be happy to wait about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: