Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nearly part of a sponsored team, and I need help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Nearly part of a sponsored team, and I need help! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I posted this in the Lanza thread as well, as it's relevant there. But in summary, I've made the short-list of 40 people to joint the sponsored triathlon team for my local shop, 'The Triathlon Shop', in Bristol. It's a great shop, and it would great for me to be part of the developing team.

In order to make the final 20, the sponsors (who include Adidas, Compressport, SiS, the Michael Phelps brand to name a few) want to see some social media activity.

So I'm asking the TriTalk community to help me out, where possible.

If you have Facebook, and you feel so inclined, could you click on the link below, and Share, Like or Comment on my post? It's in my real name of Graeme Osborne.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TTSraceteam/community/?ref=page_internal

I've got a long-term plan to aim for Kona, and this would be a great help.

I appreciate this won't be everyone's bag, but for those who take the time to click and help, thanks - it is appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ozzie
(Graeme Osborne)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, a friend mentioned this Team when I was out riding with him recently. My immediate response was 'you know you'll have to do all that social media stuff' if you're on the team. I have no doubt he'd make the team, he's KQ'd in his last 2 IM races; but like me he doesn't really do the social media thing (a generational thing) and is in a position where the support would purely be a 'nice to have' but would manage fine without it. It will be interesting to see what decision he makes.

Good luck with it, I'll look for your name in the local results in future Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not against sponsorship per se, but I am slightly hesitant to do so in cases such as this because they provide more air time for one shop over another and thus the brands that that shop carry...

good luck though...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan - I'm not a big social media user either, so making the top 20 out of the 40 of us shortlisted will be a struggle for me. And, like your friend, I don't need the sponsorship, but it's a nice-to-have, and the shop have been good to me over the years (as I have them!).

Explorer - agreed re the publicity, but I guess that's the essence of sponsorship. They're my local shop, so if I can help them out, it's a good thing, especially when they are providing a very real, personal service against all the online competitors. Their staff are knowledgeable, helpful, and always put athlete needs ahead of sales - I think that's important in the ever-virtual world.

Graeme
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:

Explorer - agreed re the publicity, but I guess that's the essence of sponsorship. They're my local shop, so if I can help them out, it's a good thing, especially when they are providing a very real, personal service against all the online competitors. Their staff are knowledgeable, helpful, and always put athlete needs ahead of sales - I think that's important in the ever-virtual world.

Graeme

Absolutely..as does mine Smile

Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is the selection of the team purely on who accrues the most 'points' by garnering the most comments/likes/shares of the Team page? Is there no consideration given to the background of the individual concerned?

Say I was starting a team, whether as a business or a benefactor, I would be looking for the following in team members:

- Young talented athletes, with potential, who need equipment/financial support.
- Talented AG athletes who personify the qualities I wish to promote.
- AG athletes with notable personal circumstances they are attempting to overcome, and that I wish to assist with ...and again promote positively.

The Social Media bit can be worked-up with these people, with someone from my business guiding them. I'm not sure I would look for someone who's sole talent is social media footprint.

But it's not my team Smile
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explorer... so if I don't make the cut, fancy sponsoring me? Very Happy
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in this process...

https://www.facebook.com/TTSraceteam/posts/507438612958341?comment_id=508314766204059&notif_id=1510515708622660&notif_t=feed_comment

Just to muddy the waters I'll be cheeky...

Ozzy, fancy a like for like/comment/share?

I agree with what's been said so far, tbh. Jorgan, there was a preliminary down-selection based on a form where you have to explain some results and goals. It was just an opportunity I felt I needed to take for my own ambition.

I'm guessing that most candidates were known to the shop owners before the process as well. I know a few of them myself.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:

nice try Smile

Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Ozzie1973 wrote:

nice try Smile

Pardon the pun! Boom tish.
SF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So, is the selection of the team purely on who accrues the most 'points' by garnering the most comments/likes/shares of the Team page? Is there no consideration given to the background of the individual concerned?

Say I was starting a team, whether as a business or a benefactor, I would be looking for the following in team members:

- Young talented athletes, with potential, who need equipment/financial support.
- Talented AG athletes who personify the qualities I wish to promote.
- AG athletes with notable personal circumstances they are attempting to overcome, and that I wish to assist with ...and again promote positively.

The Social Media bit can be worked-up with these people, with someone from my business guiding them. I'm not sure I would look for someone who's sole talent is social media footprint.

But it's not my team Smile

They'd be better off using the aforementioned athletes to create some unique content. Get people with personality that also happen to be good at triathlon. This 'like, comment, share' approach is a bit w*nk.
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They'd be better off using the aforementioned athletes to create some unique content. Get people with personality that also happen to be good at triathlon. This 'like, comment, share' approach is a bit w*nk.

Yeah, I'm not great at the whole social media thing - I had to get my daughter to show me how to do the sharing! It's not my preferred selection process, but having got through the first stage - the application form, achievements, ambitions etc - I'll give it a shot to see if I make the final cut.[/quote]
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early days of The Triathlon Shop (when they were at Temple Meads) one of the owners used to come on here, but not for along time. It was Jon iirc. I've bought a few oddments in there over the years, but the location means I visit very rarely (I don't live or work in central Bristol). I go to the Certini/Spesh Concept store more often, and have got some good summer cycling clothing there at competitive prices over the years. Bike Science is another shop I rarely frequent, again due to location; but they are very good and dealt with a Cobb Saddle warranty issue seamlessly. Ultimately, I buy online for convenience as much as anything.
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
In the early days of The Triathlon Shop (when they were at Temple Meads) one of the owners used to come on here, but not for along time. It was Jon iirc. I've bought a few oddments in there over the years, but the location means I visit very rarely (I don't live or work in central Bristol). I go to the Certini/Spesh Concept store more often, and have got some good summer cycling clothing there at competitive prices over the years. Bike Science is another shop I rarely frequent, again due to location; but they are very good and dealt with a Cobb Saddle warranty issue seamlessly. Ultimately, I buy online for convenience as much as anything.

I seem to recall he posted a pic of his bike and got a bit of stick over it and whether it was tax deductible or not. Don't remember the details that well tbh
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:

I seem to recall he posted a pic of his bike and got a bit of stick over it and whether it was tax deductible or not. Don't remember the details that well tbh

He did get baited/challenged from time-to-time, but it's difficult in his position when you own a business and try to be unbiased, or at least come across as such. On that bike; we all accept that people who work for car dealerships drive demonstrators or get cheap cars, so I'm not sure why he got hot under the collar there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: