Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Race Weight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target race weight 66kg, currently 72.7kg, last race weight 71kg.

Not sure what body fat % I am (do you guys measure using those BF% scales?).

Gut feel says 66kg is way out of reach. I probably need to measure body fat % and see what a reasonable target is based on that, looking to get to under 10% from wherever I am.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy916 wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Yes, agree, calorie deficit is not good in the final run in to an event - but then running a calorie deficit must be sub optimal during any block. Hence wondering whether to spread the loss - maybe during base training where you aren't pushing quite so hard and there's plenty of time to after to settle in at the lower weight. Bloody hard from a discipline perspective, I'd struggle for sure....

Have to say I'm a bit perplexed at the emphasis being put on simple body weight here. What's your %bf, measured for example by Tanita athlete mode? For all the criticism of bioimpedence, used *consistently* mine shows a very clear cycle of up to 12% in winter down to 7-8% in season.

The discipline part becomes a lot easier if you make an effort not to be surrounded by crap food. The usual sugar addiction (not directed at anyone in particular) gives you empty calories. The usual wrong fats set you up with chronic inflammation (omega-6 mostly from seed oils, also processed stuff contains even-worse hydrogenated fat). Nutrient density and avoiding toxins are what count, not calories. If you want to read some real science, but aimed at the lay-person, I'd suggest Jaminet & Jaminet and adapt that to suit endurance athletics. Beware the commercial corruption of much mainstream nutrition.

+1

Body fat percentage is a better and more useful target/discussion.

...Got a cheap, easy, and *accurate* way to measure it? Wink
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
JeffB wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
I googled about last night on the topic and found this:

https://www.alancouzens.com/blog/height_weight.html

For my height, both the graph of actual MPRO data, the little formula that he provides and the Joe Friel Ratio of 2.1-2.3 LBs per inch of height all give me a race weight of around 66kg. I'd have my build as pretty much medium - not a super heavy Potts, not a super light Lange.

Accept much of this is targeted at pro level competition, but I think it shows that my 71kg, whilst the leanest I have ever been on the start line is likely to be some way off the optimum.

Hmmmmm.....

Interesting formula, this would put me at 70kg. Basically around where I feel best.

Hmm, using that formula it wouldn't be too bad if I could swim, but I'm about 10KG over an Ironman weight, if I got down to 66KG I don't think I'd be here for very long and I think even I'd be worried. Can remember being ~68kg quite a few years ago but have increased muscle (& fat) since then.

Ideally I think I'd be ok at 72kg, anything lighter than that would have to be for a short period.

But, found it really hard to lose any weight in recent years, it has been a slow increase, despite not eating huge amounts, especially in recent months, although I've been doing a lot less training this year.

Hoping to make an effort from at least January onwards, I'm getting close to being over my injuries so can hopefully get back to a bit more training.

Jeff

Funny you should say that about finding it difficult to lose weight.

I'm finding the same thing as I'm getting older (50 in February). I feel that my body shape has changed as well, really noticing the tummy.

I also find if I don't do some upper body work as well I feel "flabby" all over.

Similar story here, I'm 2 years behind you, the tummy is definitely getting a bit bigger, my body shape changed quite a bit a few years ago when I started the longer distance stuff, I put on a fair bit of muscle after going to the gym, the problem is the muscle has largely stayed but the fat has added to it!

Hoping to make a better effort in the new year, 2kg would be nice ATM.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: