Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
FatPom wrote:
I've got an Elite Direto and an old Macbook Pro that has the old BT protocol, so I needed an ANT+ FEC thingy which I got from Amazon for about 10. It all works fine, no need fo extension, I put the Macbook on the coffee table about 2ft in front of the bike, no probs at all.

If I use my iPad, it all works via BT but I havent got a good way of mounting he iPad due to the TT bars. Maybe a music stand? Very Happy

You could use an el-cheapo music stand but as we traffleets love spending money on gadgets, you could buy one of these
http://bit.ly/2j10fv4

does it come in carbon? Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, got my ANT dongle and powerline Internet adaptors (hopefully they will work in the garage!). So I have the hardware sorted now. I think the free trial lasts a week yes? That being so, I'm probably going to register for it at the start of the school holidays, when I'll make most use of it.

So to cut through all the trial & error, what are the best workouts/events for me to try in that week?
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Okay, got my ANT dongle and powerline Internet adaptors (hopefully they will work in the garage!). So I have the hardware sorted now. I think the free trial lasts a week yes? That being so, I'm probably going to register for it at the start of the school holidays, when I'll make most use of it.

So to cut through all the trial & error, what are the best workouts/events for me to try in that week?

download Zwift mobile link onto the phone, select your events from there. there are loads every day. they do group workouts, races and just group rides. For workouts i rarely do them. Just get on and have a ride. You'll soon get the feel of things.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

download Zwift mobile link onto the phone, select your events from there. there are loads every day. they do group workouts, races and just group rides. For workouts i rarely do them. Just get on and have a ride. You'll soon get the feel of things.

Android is in Beta isn't it? I'm no isheep Wink
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I've just bought an Apple tv box to run Zwift. The unfortunate reality is it's the best thing for the job all things considered. My first Apple product though, fecking nightmare, 1st an Apple account ok fair enough, then you need an Itunes account & can't be done on the TV box got to download Itunes to the PC but it won't, crashes with an error. Rings Apple, you are going to have to go to Meadoehall to the Apple store to use their mac to create an Itunes account!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I've just bought an Apple tv box to run Zwift. The unfortunate reality is it's the best thing for the job all things considered. My first Apple product though, fecking nightmare, 1st an Apple account ok fair enough, then you need an Itunes account & can't be done on the TV box got to download Itunes to the PC but it won't, crashes with an error. Rings Apple, you are going to have to go to Meadoehall to the Apple store to use their mac to create an Itunes account!

Sod that. I'm just going use my laptop; decent screen size & portable.
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

The Zwift mobile link app isn't beta, it's just a remote control for the Zwift app on the computer.

As for getting the most out of Zwift trial, try to do everything once. Do a random solo ride, try Jon's Short mix intervals, pick a group ride and do a race. That way you'll see if you like it or not.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

When you climb the mountain on Wattopia, make sure you turn left and go right up to the radio tower, cos that's just f***in peachy. Wink Very Happy
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

When you climb the mountain on Wattopia, make sure you turn left and go right up to the radio tower, cos that's just f***in peachy. Wink Very Happy

It's nice easy rolling hills isn't it? Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

mobile link is not the app. its an extension so you can do stuff without sweating over your keyboard, ie turn, send "ride ons" follow people. if using in game it needs to be connected to the same wifi as the game.

The android version of Zwift is due Q2 (in beta) but they have had problems due to the vast differences in Android devices. They've said it wont be as good as other platforms and will only work on the top end devices also.

There are now some good alternatives out there. Road Grand Tours is OK if your machine is powerful enough, in Beta so free but pretty buggy still. It has real routes. Also theres another new one just starting Beta called VirtuGo which is backed by a pro team. I've applied to do that. RGT was pretty rubbish on an old PC so only used it once.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Our HP laptop is 5.5 yrs old now, but it does have an i5 processor, not sure how much RAM. Probably needs a good 'clean-up' after 5 years; haven't even de-fragged it for years Rolling Eyes It was good when I got it; probably sh1t now Very Happy I have this inkling Zwift is not going to live-up to the hype for me, but willing to be proven wrong.

Got the powerline Internet working in the garage & finally now on a LAN connection; it seems the socket next to the router is a weak signal for whatever reason, so must be why I failed last time I tried, but these new adapters have an LED signal strength indicator. Just gotta bang the dongle in now and get that sorted, so it can talk to my PM.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
^^ Our HP laptop is 5.5 yrs old now, but it does have an i5 processor, not sure how much RAM. Probably needs a good 'clean-up' after 5 years; haven't even de-fragged it for years Rolling Eyes It was good when I got it; probably sh1t now Very Happy I have this inkling Zwift is not going to live-up to the hype for me, but willing to be proven wrong.

Got the powerline Internet working in the garage & finally now on a LAN connection; it seems the socket next to the router is a weak signal for whatever reason, so must be why I failed last time I tried, but these new adapters have an LED signal strength indicator. Just gotta bang the dongle in now and get that sorted, so it can talk to my PM.

5.5 years! That's a lot of ... erm ... cookies. Shocked Very Happy
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

It's used here on thinkpad x230's which would've been 2012 era machines, although the actual machines of course don't last more than around a year.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the graphics card an important thing - there are some reqs listed on the Zwift site. My laptop did not work with it, but the OH's did and she was amenable to swap as they had similar specs in other ways.

may I suggest a nice Cat A race to ease your way in.... Twisted Evil
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
I think the graphics card an important thing - there are some reqs listed on the Zwift site. My laptop did not work with it, but the OH's did and she was amenable to swap as they had similar specs in other ways.

may I suggest a nice Cat A race to ease your way in.... Twisted Evil

No, I think I shall pick a group ride that's 1w/kg less than I can actually manage.... like everyone else by the sounds of it Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: