Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doca

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pick TT bike like I did if you are going to do group rides. TT bikes don't get a draft benefit and are heavier up the climbs. They are more aero when solo naturally.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
Don't pick TT bike like I did if you are going to do group rides. TT bikes don't get a draft benefit and are heavier up the climbs. They are more aero when solo naturally.

Ive been on the aero bike and wheels since I earned them, I use for group rides, races and general riding. I've opened up two other road bikes now but still stick with the TT bike. I wondered why I end up towing a lot of folks around all the time. Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

5.5 years! That's a lot of ... erm ... cookies. Shocked Very Happy

Fired-up my 'windows washer' last night; it might have taken a while with all the bleaching Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally only look at TT & ST websites on my work PC which filters lots of content. WTF, has Slowtwitch basically turned into an advert(orial) for Zwift or what? It's pretty shameless this one; at least the HotShots thread by the 'ST concierge' was a little less obvious Rolling Eyes

The ST home page was almost completely orange. It's like the antithesis of this place now (I wonder if Wiggle actually pay for that ad in the top corner any more).
SidSnot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
(I wonder if Wiggle actually pay for that ad in the top corner any more).

dunno, but I'm excited to see their new 2016 range
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I normally only look at TT & ST websites on my work PC which filters lots of content. WTF, has Slowtwitch basically turned into an advert(orial) for Zwift or what? It's pretty shameless this one; at least the HotShots thread by the 'ST concierge' was a little less obvious Rolling Eyes

The ST home page was almost completely orange. It's like the antithesis of this place now (I wonder if Wiggle actually pay for that ad in the top corner any more).

that'll be an affiliate link. anyone that clicks on it and buys something will earn Gareth a small amount of money.....and it'll be very small
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, daughter off school ill, so taken opportunity to start free trial. I've entered a race in an hour - what do I need to know? I've entered Cat D and said I've less than an hour to ride, so how long notionally is a 4 lap event in the <1h category? I guess I'd better do a warm up too!
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Okay, daughter off school ill, so taken opportunity to start free trial. I've entered a race in an hour - what do I need to know? I've entered Cat D and said I've less than an hour to ride, so how long notionally is a 4 lap event in the <1h category? I guess I'd better do a warm up too!

Watopia?

its about 10k a lap. Cat D an hour maybe less. Be prepared for 5 minutes all out from the gate and then settle into it. Lose the group and it'll be a long lonely ride Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Watopia?

its about 10k a lap. Cat D an hour maybe less. Be prepared for 5 minutes all out from the gate and then settle into it. Lose the group and it'll be a long lonely ride Wink

Looks like it's set to London, no other option button works. How does it work drafting wise, I have a PM rather than a controllable trainer.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drafting is pretty decent. The more nestled into a large group you are, the greater benefit. I just have PM and its fine, works well.

Prepare for the slight time lag between gassing it and the on screen response - and as in real life remember the draft increases with speed - you lost a bit of benefit on climbs and may have to put a dig in.

There is really no way back if you drop off - I've lost contact quite a few times - reaching for a drink, the PC wants to update and I fumble about looking for the key to defer it etc - once gone, you're gone.

I think the races where multiple CAT's are racing the event are best - these will fracture into several groups. For these I'll go out of the gate at target intensity - say sweetspot and fall into whatever group is riding around that level. It's not balls out racing, but is a great way of doing an hour at that intensity - goes pretty quickly and you dig in late on, and can amuse yourself with a little sprint for 27th at the end....
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did the race, but no idea how to actually view the activity I just did or upload to Strava (using Windows PC). The desktop site seems pretty unintuitive.

It was surprising how hard I could ride for how long. Winner of the Cat D race did 4.7w/kg Rolling Eyes No idea how I fared as I can't find the activity, other than as part of my total rides (there's only 1). I can see I managed 391w in the bunch sprint & 314w minute power, but not much else Sad

ETA - apparently I need a Zwift power account, which I've set-up, linked with my Strava profile, and I can now at least view the race result on ZP, but can't get ZP to link properly with my 4-digit Zwift account code. Do I need to join or register for events using ZP before I do them? All seems like a prolonged ballache tbh. I did enjoy doing the race though, even without any music.

Last edited by Jorgan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Well, I did the race, but no idea how to actually view the activity I just did or upload to Strava (using Windows PC). The desktop site seems pretty unintuitive.

It was surprising how hard I could ride for how long. Winner of the Cat D race did 4.7w/kg Rolling Eyes No idea how I fared as I can't find the activity, other than as part of my total rides (there's only 1). I can see I managed 391w in the bunch sprint & 314w minute power, but not much else Sad

All race results are on ZwiftPower.com . This is a non Zwift supported platform run by a volunteer from before Zwift ran official events and they were meet at the start wearing kit type X. its pretty good and free and they have ZADA etc where people going over cat limits are DQ'd and anyone over 5w/kg has to verify real life figures. InZP you will need a zwift id which is the number attached to one of the folders (documents/zwift/cp/user12345) . Zwift dont really support racing very well. it was never going to be a thing.

Strava, training peaks etc you can set up via zwift.com website.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I just rode on zwift, no idea WTF was going on, there were like 1000 people bobbing in an out, not sure it really felt any more engaging than riding on the turbo listening to the now show (which was the last time I turbo'd ages ago.

Was riding a taxc neo, but it certainly wasn't road feel and the cobblestones didn't cobble, but it's entirely possible that was just me. Not sure I'll keep doing zwift once the 7 days are up...

Somehow I think I got a thumbs up from Maryka, who was out at Karate, so that's no good if she's going to spy on me!
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
okay, I just rode on zwift, no idea WTF was going on, there were like 1000 people bobbing in an out, not sure it really felt any more engaging than riding on the turbo listening to the now show (which was the last time I turbo'd ages ago.

Was riding a taxc neo, but it certainly wasn't road feel and the cobblestones didn't cobble, but it's entirely possible that was just me. Not sure I'll keep doing zwift once the 7 days are up...

Somehow I think I got a thumbs up from Maryka, who was out at Karate, so that's no good if she's going to spy on me!

I get a bit bored just riding around. Try doing some of the workouts on there, makes it more interesting and challenging.
https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:

The Neo road feel has settings to turn on or off in Zwift but if you haven't updated the firmware do that as mine didn't work out the box and its a regular complaint. Its a gimmick, quite good but on certain courses just annoying, like the jungle gravel roads or the descent from the radio tower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: