Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
2 year uni courses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: 2 year uni courses Reply with quote

So how many academics had to sit down & work this one out?
Bit of a no brainer some would say. I know it depends on the course but one of my children had 5 hours of contact / lecture time a week in her 3rd year.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 32 hours of lectures a week - my sister had 8 - guess which was engineering and which was humanities.

I did a 4 year course in three half years plus one full year - no wonder employment of my school of engineering was 98% and having six months a year in work, that overdraft got paid off every year.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This depends as much on the course you choose as it does the uni...there are some pretty lame qualifications out there..l

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely - I am sure the 'soft as sh*t' pointless courses out there which will never get you more than flipping burgers or serving coffee could easily be done in a couple of months but at least the two year option wastes less of everyones time before the complete failure hits the graduate in the face.
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I think it's about time for those who want to do it.

I recall (it was 30+yrs ago now) that a psychology BSc (or is it BA?) a mate of mine was doing had 5hrs of lectures a week whereas I had knocking on for 30.

About time they called time on these Mickey Mouse careers - one of Blair's finest ideas - getting everyone a degree. Doesn't matter what, as long as it's a degree.

FFS.

Meanwhile no wonder we've been short of skilled craftsmen/tradesmen who should've been doing apprenticeships, instead they're all running around looking for work with their BSc (Hons) in the Hits of the Spice Girls.

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, there are potentially good value 2 year degrees which require year 2 full years of study as opposed to the traditional uni term model

the_exile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is never going to work for all subjects, but for some it will and the choice would be good for those that want it. Contact time is probably not the best measure of courses that it would be appropriate for - some courses have very low contact time but very high independent workloads.

My degree could easily have been done in 2 years.

One thing I do think would help with this but also with preperarion for “the real world” would be moving away from a school term/semester set up to something based more on working life - having 5 or 6 weeks off instead of 15 or 20.

I do think universities would struggle to offer both 2 & 3 year versions of the same course though which will possibly remove the choice element.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
That said, there are potentially good value 2 year degrees which require year 2 full years of study as opposed to the traditional uni term model

precisely. a guy who worked for us had a midlife crisis and decided to go off an train as an Occupational Therapist. signed up for a 2yr degree course with a mix of school and on the job clinical work, and also got a mature student bursary to offset a lot of costs. it was hard work for him as he had 3 teenage girls to support but hasn't looked back.

can also be done with physiotherapy courses I think
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been working for longer than I can remember now, I do think the idea of University courses following working life is a great idea - 5 weeks holidays a year and the rest of the year knuckling down to reduce the overall course time. Makes an awful lot of sense for many reasons.

But then another part of me thinks... hang on, student life is your last (and probably only) time in your life with no responsibilities, no need for common sense, time to get drunk on cheap beer, lie in bed all day nursing perpetual hangovers, lose your virginity (yes I was a late developer), have lots of pointless sex, have wild parties and annoy the rest of the adult population. Perhaps this short period in one's life does contribute to a more rounded character.... it would be rather sad that another of life's avenues for fun is closed off by those of us secretly envious of those currently enjoying it...

My 15 minutes of fame
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
But then another part of me thinks... hang on, student life is your last (and probably only) time in your life with no responsibilities, no need for common sense, time to get drunk on cheap beer, lie in bed all day nursing perpetual hangovers, lose your virginity (yes I was a late developer), have lots of pointless sex, have wild parties and annoy the rest of the adult population. Perhaps this short period in one's life does contribute to a more rounded character.... it would be rather sad that another of life's avenues for fun is closed off by those of us secretly envious of those currently enjoying it...

We still managed all that on 32 hours of lectures in a week. It teaches you time management and prioritisation, and sets you up nicely for the world of real work.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Gus wrote:

We still managed all that on 32 hours of lectures in a week. It teaches you time management and prioritisation, and sets you up nicely for the world of real work.

you only get 32 hours of lectures a week when there is sufficient content to fill 32 hours...most people had to work as well to pay the bills...

it took me 5 years to get my degree, combined with 2 years teaching degree and holding a full time teaching role...that was tough...no grants or student loans available either (although the teaching qualification was funded by the college)

Gus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did recently look into doing a degree in Mathematics and Physics - purely for fun (weird, I know) - but a 3yr full-time degree was not an option in life. [The OU equivalent, fitting it around my current job, would have taken 12 years!]

If it was 2 years instead, ok it still probably wouldn't be feasible unless I won the lottery in the meantime to support myself, but it does make it a little bit closer to being an option...

Just as an off-topic aside - I used to dread and detest maths & physics at school. I had really sh1t teachers. I failed Physics O-level; natural ability got me an A in Maths O-level which sunk to a barely-scraped E at A-level. All through bad teaching. My career evolved into an area very physics & maths based and I've utterly enjoyed it (and, I like to think, done well). I read books on Quantum Theory and enjoy them. I love doing Maths - when I career-changed and did an MSc, in the maths module I came top with 100% in the year-end exam (based on MSc mathematics).... all because of better teaching.

It makes me really mad and f*ks me off beyond belief that I could've had a really good physics/maths-based career (engineering, probably) if I'd had decent teachers. What a friggin' waste.

Sorry, just a rant.

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:

Just as an off-topic aside - I used to dread and detest maths & physics at school. I had really sh1t teachers. I failed Physics O-level; natural ability got me an A in Maths O-level which sunk to a barely-scraped E at A-level. All through bad teaching. My career evolved into an area very physics & maths based and I've utterly enjoyed it (and, I like to think, done well). I read books on Quantum Theory and enjoy them. I love doing Maths - when I career-changed and did an MSc, in the maths module I came top with 100% in the year-end exam (based on MSc mathematics).... all because of better teaching.

It makes me really mad and f*ks me off beyond belief that I could've had a really good physics/maths-based career (engineering, probably) if I'd had decent teachers. What a friggin' waste.

Sorry, just a rant.

yep, i ordered a subscription for New Scientist through the school and was told by my chemistry teacher that it really wasn't for me...despite his worst efforts, i went back to study (as above) and have an MSc...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: