Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
concerned with something about the swim thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CeliaAdrianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: concerned with something about the swim thing Reply with quote

The thing that concerns me is something about the swim. I really want to do Tris because it's so much more fun running if you are also a swimmer-cyclist...

but I'm Autistic and have no idea if I can handle all the close proximity.

I Hate getting my lovely ladies scratched at in the pool which seems to happen all the time in the pool and really don't know if i can do it without becoming too emotional to continue

In the past, I had to stop advancing acting skills a long time ago because of not being able to handle body dance - touching other people was a real problem

is my swim bike run doomed?
might be a case of keep going and toughen up...
my Tri dreams are really helping me by having a goal... don't want to give up because of that

is the pool worse or better than open water for the shorter distances?

AS a dedicated back of the pack type person would open water be best and knowing that I will hang back - and get out of the water last - that might be more likely
olympic distance is my longest goal distance
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: concerned with something about the swim thing Reply with quote

CeliaAdrianne wrote:
The thing that concerns me is something about the swim. I really want to do Tris because it's so much more fun running if you are also a swimmer-cyclist...

but I'm Autistic and have no idea if I can handle all the close proximity.

I Hate getting my lovely ladies scratched at in the pool which seems to happen all the time in the pool and really don't know if i can do it without becoming too emotional to continue

In the past, I had to stop advancing acting skills a long time ago because of not being able to handle body dance - touching other people was a real problem

is my swim bike run doomed?
might be a case of keep going and toughen up...
my Tri dreams are really helping me by having a goal... don't want to give up because of that

is the pool worse or better than open water for the shorter distances?

AS a dedicated back of the pack type person would open water be best and knowing that I will hang back - and get out of the water last - that might be more likely
olympic distance is my longest goal distance

Similar to most phobias, gradual exposure to that which is of concern is the way to progress. Worth finding a good coach/club to assist in gradually submerging (not pun intended) you into this aspect of Tri...Do a few duathlons whilst you build up the swim confidence...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just go and do an aquathlon and see how you get on. There are quite a few in the winter, generally a 400m swim. 5k run.

I'm not sure why think it's more fun running if you are also a swimmer/ cyclist. If you are a good runner then you most likely be a good runner regardless.

I'd also say your athletic history is so long ago it may not have any relevance beyond knowing you can do it now. Lots of people rave about tri clubs, maybe see what your local one has to offer.

What are your lovely ladies? I'm a bit confused.
ed_m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about find a friendly local club run pool based tri or aquathlon... and tell them your concerns.

I run the start list & swim starts for our club event and we get all sorts of requests (shallow end.... end lane with the steps.. etc) including needing a dedicated lane to accommodate a blind athlete or similarly nervous swimmers.

I try an organise lanes and start times so it's not too busy anyway.. max of 3 or 4 in a lane at any given time.
Sure sometimes it's tricky to accommodate special requests but more than worth it to help people participate & push themselves.
CeliaAdrianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: concerned with something about the swim thing Reply with quote

Similar to most phobias, gradual exposure to that which is of concern is the way to progress. Worth finding a good coach/club to assist in gradually submerging (not pun intended) you into this aspect of Tri...Do a few duathlons whilst you build up the swim confidence...[/quote]

Hi - thanks for your reply but I'm not sure it's a phobia - it is something that goes right back to, as a baby, pushing my mum away by the throat every time she got too close to me...
been married for 8 years and can count how many times we have cuddled up on the sofa for more than a minute or two

I will go to the lengths of joining a swim club when i have 100m non stop (i think is their criteria for the beginners group)

duathlon is a good idea for time to adjust to the swimming
CeliaAdrianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: cheeky! Reply with quote

"I'm not sure why think it's more fun running if you are also a swimmer/ cyclist. If you are a good runner then you most likely be a good runner regardless."

I wasn't a good runner.
When running for 5 yrs i didn't do any cross training
so the swimming (even for about 6 weeks) made me feel upper body strength and balance instead of these huge bum and thighs thumping along the pavement and leading the way (see The Oatmeal cartoons)

"I'd also say your athletic history is so long ago it may not have any relevance beyond knowing you can do it now."

I have found that i have A Lot of muscle memory - whenever i have gone back to running for brief times (getting back to 5km or 5miles for a short time) it has come back much easier... not sure if it would now though

I'll go for a tri club in February - good advice really
have to see how my ankle does in Zermatt mid January with uneven snow after a sprain

I've also done yoga for 7 years, teacher training in india, a bit of sailing with my partner for 3 years, surfing for a season and gym and ski about 10 weeks in 3 yrs with gym plus a few months or one years' of swimming and some work on farms...

also i have paranoid schizophrenia
it's not only a few months i've been on the couch here and there - it's been years (usually 6 months to a year) of doing absolutely nothing pretty frequently when i have periods of mainly being well mentally other than lack of motivation
duckhen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celia, well done to you I always think the hardest part about triathlon is the first time you put yourself on the start line. After that you know what you are facing it's generally a question of distance. So proximity of people in swim leg is a concern so if you are planning open water swimming then you will be able to wait at the start...choose a wider swim line to prevent any congestion at the turn points. If it's a pool based triathlon maybe request a swim lane with minimal other participants.

I have always found people to be very understanding and accepting if I have been able to speak to them through my nervous moments.

I hope you get to the run leg

Adam
CeliaAdrianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
How about find a friendly local club run pool based tri or aquathlon... and tell them your concerns.

I run the start list & swim starts for our club event and we get all sorts of requests (shallow end.... end lane with the steps.. etc) including needing a dedicated lane to accommodate a blind athlete or similarly nervous swimmers.

I try an organise lanes and start times so it's not too busy anyway.. max of 3 or 4 in a lane at any given time.
Sure sometimes it's tricky to accommodate special requests but more than worth it to help people participate & push themselves.

Thank-you for this... i can do 4 people in a lane - as long as it's not feely gropey people - so maybe a dedicated lane request lies in the future at events. Thanks for suggesting that as a possibility!
I also have paranoid schizophrenia - so it's likely
CeliaAdrianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:

Thank-you for this... i can do 4 people in a lane - as long as it's not feely gropey people - so maybe a dedicated lane request lies in the future at events. Thanks for suggesting that as a possibility!
I also have paranoid schizophrenia - so it's pretty likely I'd need something like that for reduced stress
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeliaAdrianne wrote:
ed_m wrote:

I also have paranoid schizophrenia - so it's pretty likely I'd need something like that for reduced stress

This is where I think you will need to work on the mental side of things. The fact that you already default to a mindset that others might be 'feely or gropey' suggests that you could be looking for issues where none exist.

The anxiety you feel is obviously very real for you and really well done for wanting to give tri a go and recognizing you have things to work through. I'm not a Dr and have never played one on tv Very Happy but I reckon you will make better progress by realizing that nobody else in the water, on the run or wherever, is the slightest bit interested in making you uncomfortable.

Everyone just wants to get on with their race and touching, bumping into each other is an invetable part of that. The question you need answering, is how best to tackle that. An understanding coach will help but I reckon a club would be great, you can make personal connections and I bet some fellow members would be only too willing help.

If you were swimming and running with club members and getting the odd bump, you will know the people and know it's not intentional. That would give you a platform to work with and be able to extrapolate to a wider race scenario.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a close relative who is autistic, so understand that it is not just a case of getting used to the physical contact aspect.

I fully agree with others who say to join a tri club and speak to them about swim training, I suspect that most tri clubs will be entirely sympathetic and will make an effort to avoid contact, to be honest there is not a lot of contact when training

In a sprint triathlon in a pool, ask the organisers how the swim is run, for example in Osprey Spint in Weymouth, swimmers start every 10 seconds and snake up and down the pool, and a little contact is inevitable, however, Ringwood triathlon has 3 swimmers in each lane, and starts are every 15 minutes or so, if you go as the last swimmer in your lane, there is pretty much no contact (maybe if you get lapped, however, this is unlikely as you will be started with 2 other similar speed swimmers)

in an open water swim, the start is normally a bit frantic, however, very quickly swimmers are spread out. If you stick to the back at the start, I would think that you can avoid all contact

In summary, speak to a tri club and speak to event organisers, choose appropriate events and you will probably be fine. You never know unless you try

Purely based on observation, I suspect that a few Triathletes are Autistic, it is unlikely that you are alone.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Purely based on observation, I suspect that a few Triathletes are Autistic, it is unlikely that you are alone.

I shouldn't laugh at that but... well.... certainly personality traits seem to be attracted to it that's for sure.
Many many people would fall on the spectrum I'm quite sure.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in Switzerland? You mention running in Zermatt in January.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: