Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Water temp in Dorset in Feb?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigFoz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Water temp in Dorset in Feb? Reply with quote

Going to be visiting parents mid-Feb, wondering what chances are of taking wetsuit and getting some swim action. Swim through up here, but would be on my own (with spotter) so erring on side of caution... Anyone know what sea temps (sandbanks / Lulworth Cove / Durdle Door) might be?
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info here:

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Bournemouth-Pier/seatemp

Currently showing as 9.5C, otherwise known as ~#*$ cold.

Got to ask, why bother? Its going to be unpleasant and not much cop for training. Unless you are training for a super cold event I would seek out a pool
BigFoz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.5 cold? We were in at Ayr this weekend, 4.3C in the sea, 3.6C in the river Doon, air temp was -2C. 9.5 is tropical.

I was thinking if it got over 8 I'd be happy without buddy. Unless anyone wants to join me?

We swim all year round, the colder water can be hugely invigorating and fun. We keep to 15mins under 8, but quite happily do 30 in 9.5. Bear in mind,rarely gets above 16-18 range up here in summer. I do miss the Blue Lagoon near Arlesey though, that was nice and warm.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swam on New Years Day at Durdle Door, think it was about 11 degrees. I found it "bracing" but it sounds like you are made of tougher stuff. Dunno if you have swum there before but Lulworth Cove can be manky to swim in, often there is this kelpy stuff just below the surface. Durdle Door is beautiful & can be really sheltered unless the wind is coming in from the sea. You do have to walk down & up again though. Studland clothes optional, yuk, but you should be safe in February. You probably know all this.

PS have you checked out https://www.seatemperature.org . The global maximum sea temperature today is 32.8C / 91F in Larrakeyah, Australia. Got any parents out there?
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigFoz wrote:
9.5 cold? We were in at Ayr this weekend, 4.3C in the sea, 3.6C in the river Doon, air temp was -2C. 9.5 is tropical.

I was thinking if it got over 8 I'd be happy without buddy. Unless anyone wants to join me?

We swim all year round, the colder water can be hugely invigorating and fun. We keep to 15mins under 8, but quite happily do 30 in 9.5. Bear in mind,rarely gets above 16-18 range up here in summer. I do miss the Blue Lagoon near Arlesey though, that was nice and warm.

Fair play. I don't venture in till its a least 16 Smile
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water will continue cooling until March/April, but rare to go below 8 degrees

Weymouth Bay is the best location to swim, and there may be other locals swimming (saw one at Christmas swimming with no wetsuit)
tin pot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im shying away from 9 at the moment in Eastbourne. I have done 2km in about 12 iirc, it was hard work, then you settle in but its still hard work, the devastation is when you leap out into the air...I was shaking like a leaf, teeth chattering instantly.

Im thinking about boots, fins, gloves and hoods, but I think itll make the swim technique awful and therefore the session worthless.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
BigFoz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
saw one at Christmas swimming with no wetsuit

Yeah, we have loonies up here swimming without wetsuits, proudly showing pics of ice breaking and 1C water. Autumn 2016 myself and my OW swim bud swam the temp down so we could do the Chillswim in Dec. Week after Chillswim (A fabulous event BTW), I was back in wetsuit, booties, gloves and hood.
jay clock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in Tunisia where the sea is about 15 and I finding it very very hard with wetsuit and neoprene hat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: