Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New or Upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah in hindsight I regretted the decision but I had just destroyed my last good Clincher tyre and didn't want to buy two new tyres for the race when I had nearly new Tubs for the Carbon rims. So I took the gamble, knowing it may cost time.

In reality it was the least of my worry's on the Day Laughing but no doubt cost me time. Fortunately it seemed most people around me were in similar boats, and descending was quite sedate compared to some races I have been in.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we're talking about carbon rims in the wet, good tyre choice plus hydraulic disc brakes gives way better performance than rim braking. Anyone who's raced carbon wheels with rim calipers in the wet, and then tried disc brakes knows this.

By triathlon standards, I'm a good descender, as I'm always catching people on fast downhills. However, in the wet on the same carbon rim brakes, I'm riding like a OAP to stay out of the hedges.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon wheels, alloy rims, ultegra calipers, Swisstop pads - and it's damn near my Hope disc brakes on the MTB which are awesome.

Triathlon X and similar daft races are always on my mind when I set up my kit and I have no problems descending any of those places in the wet. As mentioned, my tyres slip on the tarmac way before my brakes do.

I've never ventured in to carbon wheels for that reason, but equally I see no real reason to venture in to disc brakes either. They might have a slight advantage over rim brakes in the wet but it's not something I'd base my next purchase on.

I do like the modulation on my hydraulic MTB brakes better but even that is pretty close when set up right.

I'm a very fast descender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: