Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
So this made for a very long day out... brutal climbing and terrain, ice on tops & relentless face ripping wind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1357238600

All in all, kind of what I signed up for then!
Managed a very tender 4-5mile walk out of Brecon this morning but still rather broken.

Well done, that's a bit of an epic Smile

Jeff
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - that looks like a very cool race. Probably got to be considered 'not bad' conditions compared to what we've had recently! haha

How was the nav in the mist? Must have been tricky, especially at night when your headtorch just beams back in your face!

I like the little swimming badge you get. That's cool!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
So this made for a very long day out... brutal climbing and terrain, ice on tops & relentless face ripping wind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1357238600

All in all, kind of what I signed up for then!
Managed a very tender 4-5mile walk out of Brecon this morning but still rather broken.

nice route for Jan!

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last big training run for me on the weekend, and it turned out to be much better (weather wise) than we could have hoped for! Forecast was all over the shop, but we managed to stay dry and the coast path wasnít quite as sloppy as we thought it may have been. Valleys were super sheltered, and it was actually pretty mild out of the wind.

I got some sign off from my lovely wife as it was my birthday on Friday (and hers on the previous Wed), so we went for a nice meal Fri night, she spent the day with her friend on Sat whilst I had the little one, and that left Saturday night for me to go out with the boys. Despite coming back at 3am, having chips at the kebab shop, and being tired and grumpy the next day; it was a long way away from birthday nights out in the past! Haha. Though I was good and slept in the lounge and had a hosepipe shower outside to not disturb anyone even though it was bl00dy freezing!!!

Managed to get a good bunch of friends together for the first 2 hours, then they turned back leaving just me and a friend, both training for the Arc.

Put in a nice 58km run, 2,200m of elevation gain in about 8.5 hrs including stoppages at Tesco and the kebab shop. Had some rather unusual looks from the late night revellers!! Everything went well I think. New kit is perfect, walking poles are the single most awesome thing in the world for ultras Ö hot food comes a narrow second! Pace was tidy, and wasnít feeling too bad the next day, just the usual stiffness. A bit of maintenance now and then race time. Getting super excited now!

Physio booked for Friday as getting a bit of a twinge down the old sciatic nerve through my leg. Pretty sure itís the piriformis playing up, so hopefully some release work and stretching will sort that out before itís too much of a problem.

Link here in case anyone is interested. https://www.strava.com/activities/1355903920
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Indeed - that looks like a very cool race. Probably got to be considered 'not bad' conditions compared to what we've had recently! haha

How was the nav in the mist? Must have been tricky, especially at night when your headtorch just beams back in your face!

I like the little swimming badge you get. That's cool!

Yeah last weekend was worse by all accounts... but still ice on the tops and on descent first from the peak of pen y fan in the dark.... and strong winds taking windchill down to sub zero
It was ostensibly a way marked course with glow sticks & flags, problem was you never quite knew how frequent they were going to be... glow sticks were maybe 200-400m apart which when visibility was maybe 50m was tricky, kept having to switch my head torch off or look out the corner of my eye to pick them out.
Later in the day it was more a case of looking out for remains of the flags as they'd mostly been destroyed.
I did dig out the map a couple of times when I lost confidence (you can see a wiggle after fan-y-big where I hadn't seen a flag for ages.

very nearly turned back for the tal y bont checkpoint on the climb of tor y foel shortly after.... probably the worst climb of the day.... never before have my strava auto splits shown 200m ascent over 1km

rumour has it that the first runner was back around 11.... which means 5hours....

slept nearly 10hours solid Saturday night and a 5mile lower level walk on sunday to help recover a little... now spine dot watching.
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done GB! What a way to spend your 21st Birthday Wink

Also Ed_m that's an amazing route. I did a small run around Pen-Y-Fan a while back... https://www.strava.com/activities/674309954 and loved every second of it. Not sure I'd love the double ascent of Pen-Y-Fan in those conditions though.

My trail running for the year has almost come to a halt as soon as it's begun! Got a very sore achilles tendon after a turbo the other night and a little 7 mile trail run didn't do it any favours yesterday. Bit of RICE in the pipeline I imagine...
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work GB, time to rock Cool
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent GB, good luck

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you runner folks didn't know, SS is currently about 130 miles in to the spine race and looking (relatively) good despite some harsh conditions.

Tracker here: http://live.thespinerace.com/

Another 130 to go still so lots to consider for him.
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
In case you runner folks didn't know, SS is currently about 130 miles in to the spine race and looking (relatively) good despite some harsh conditions.

Mental... what race number are we looking at?
Looks like there's a few decent sized groups around the 130 mile mark
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love following this race. Like the longest, slowest tracker ever!

Just been a change in the lead and Jim Mann has gone off track VERY slowly. haha

What's SS's real name Chrace?

The leading female is bossing the race as well. About top 10 overall and destroying the women's field!
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

Just been a change in the lead and Jim Mann has gone off track VERY slowly. haha

long way to go but looks like jim could be in trouble... they were together over the last section ... and pavel is closing in too by the look of things.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Last big training run for me on the weekend, and it turned out to be much better (weather wise) than we could have hoped for! Forecast was all over the shop, but we managed to stay dry and the coast path wasnít quite as sloppy as we thought it may have been. Valleys were super sheltered, and it was actually pretty mild out of the wind.

I got some sign off from my lovely wife as it was my birthday on Friday (and hers on the previous Wed), so we went for a nice meal Fri night, she spent the day with her friend on Sat whilst I had the little one, and that left Saturday night for me to go out with the boys. Despite coming back at 3am, having chips at the kebab shop, and being tired and grumpy the next day; it was a long way away from birthday nights out in the past! Haha. Though I was good and slept in the lounge and had a hosepipe shower outside to not disturb anyone even though it was bl00dy freezing!!!

Managed to get a good bunch of friends together for the first 2 hours, then they turned back leaving just me and a friend, both training for the Arc.

Put in a nice 58km run, 2,200m of elevation gain in about 8.5 hrs including stoppages at Tesco and the kebab shop. Had some rather unusual looks from the late night revellers!! Everything went well I think. New kit is perfect, walking poles are the single most awesome thing in the world for ultras Ö hot food comes a narrow second! Pace was tidy, and wasnít feeling too bad the next day, just the usual stiffness. A bit of maintenance now and then race time. Getting super excited now!

Physio booked for Friday as getting a bit of a twinge down the old sciatic nerve through my leg. Pretty sure itís the piriformis playing up, so hopefully some release work and stretching will sort that out before itís too much of a problem.

Link here in case anyone is interested. https://www.strava.com/activities/1355903920

I saw your run, very impressive but I bet you got some looks going in the kebab shop with all your running kit on.

3:30 in the morning as well, that is dedication.

Good luck with the race

Jeff
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in some fairly remote countryside now, it can be bleak up there in the summer let alone the winter and there is heavy snow forecast for the next 48 hours so hope they are all safe.

Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

That's very impressive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 138 of 148

Jump to: