Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
British Triathlon 2018 Competition Rules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: British Triathlon 2018 Competition Rules Reply with quote

here ya go guys - a bit of light reading for you.... Wink

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/news/2018-competition-rules-update-_8530

the summary of changes is probably a little easier to digest at this stage Laughing

any questions, I'll try and answer them but most of the changes are self explanatory and now bringing the rules even more in line with the ITU competition rules.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers FB - a lot of changes - much of it worthwhile...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
cheers FB - a lot of changes - much of it worthwhile...

some interesting changes and clearly a few driven by the closer relationship between the ITU and IM on rules - swimskins are now allowed for example (with provisos).
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say again, the children distances are crap, and given the cost of putting on a triathlon, effectively deny the sport to children, the events are simply too short. My 6 year old could comfortably complete the maximum distance in under 10 minutes, and I simply cannot see the value in travelling to and paying for a race for an event which is mostly a race of putting on shoes or helmets and 15 minutes of exercise. Not that she could enter for a year of course.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can now expose our midriff again in middle/long dist Very Happy Disc brakes now allowed in all events. Only one I'm not 100% sure about is helmets covering ears, what are 'smart' helmets? I assume standard aero helmets with ear flaps are allowed?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
I'll say again, the children distances are crap, and given the cost of putting on a triathlon, effectively deny the sport to children, the events are simply too short. My 6 year old could comfortably complete the maximum distance in under 10 minutes, and I simply cannot see the value in travelling to and paying for a race for an event which is mostly a race of putting on shoes or helmets and 15 minutes of exercise. Not that she could enter for a year of course.

I have to say I am no expert on kids tris - and having not had kids myself - am in no place to really comment on whether distances are chosen based on evidence of a child's development and not wanting to push them too hard, too early (as I understand). there aren't that many Tristar events around ime - the ones I've officiated at have been tacked on to some junior events with only a few participants.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
We can now expose our midriff again in middle/long dist Very Happy Disc brakes now allowed in all events. Only one I'm not 100% sure about is helmets covering ears, what are 'smart' helmets? I assume standard aero helmets with ear flaps are allowed?

smart helmets - bike helmet with a built in sound system covering or not covering the ears.

standard aero helmets with ear flaps are fine
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

I have to say I am no expert on kids tris - and having not had kids myself - am in no place to really comment on whether distances are chosen based on evidence of a child's development and not wanting to push them too hard, too early (as I understand). there aren't that many Tristar events around ime - the ones I've officiated at have been tacked on to some junior events with only a few participants.

TriStart is short because its about making the sport accessible for all and 50m is a long swim for a lot of 7years olds anyway. Most youngsters have no pace control either so the run would end up a painful walk for many putting them off the sport. Tristar 1 is far longer in comparison.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

TriStart is short because its about making the sport accessible for all and 50m is a long swim for a lot of 7years olds anyway. Most youngsters have no pace control either so the run would end up a painful walk for many putting them off the sport. Tristar 1 is far longer in comparison.

This is more or less the same comment as made in the Changes Overview - specifically re: the change of run distance for Tristart, but could be seen as a general point.

"The British Triathlon Lead Safeguarding Officer has been consulted and it is not anticipated that there should be any issues, however it should be reminded that children mature at different levels, and children and young people only take part in races with distances they are able to complete without discomfort."
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
hammerer wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

This is more or less the same comment as made in the Changes Overview - specifically re: the change of run distance for Tristart, but could be seen as a general point.

"The British Triathlon Lead Safeguarding Officer has been consulted and it is not anticipated that there should be any issues, however it should be reminded that children mature at different levels, and children and young people only take part in races with distances they are able to complete without discomfort."

it shouldn't be just about being able to do the distance - which many kids surely can, it should be about developing appropriate form that can be sustained as the distances increase.

UKA used to have fairly sensible guidelines on this and probably still do - although park run has caused a sort of conflict of interest...

jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
UKA used to have fairly sensible guidelines on this and probably still do - although park run has caused a sort of conflict of interest...

BC's and UKA's event times (as in total time a race would be) are longer than the triathlon events, even despite the triathlon one having most time spent in changing equipment. And also unlike those disciplines, there are no other organisations allowing flexibility - as you note the 2km and 5k options from parkrun allow opportunity outside of UKA. At the early levels too BC for example combine multiple events in a single session (Race, TT, skills etc.)

Remember these distances are not just "recommended", but the absolute maximum that is allowed to be created, if 50m is far for a kid to swim, have a 25m swim and a longer bike or run. Flexibility is part of accessibility, some don't like just doing short events.

But as I said, despite having a kid who's interested in doing a triathlon, likely very capable, I won't be doing one unless one appears right on my doorstep as the effort is too high for what it is.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the Brownlee rule has been added in.

A competitor cannot physically assist the forward progress of another competitor on any part of the course. Doing so will result in both competitors being disqualified.

Presumably if I lend someone a gel or bike part etc. that isn't physically helping them progress. Despite the fact they might not be able to progress without it.

Jeff
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

BC's and UKA's event times (as in total time a race would be) are longer than the triathlon events, even despite the triathlon one having most time spent in changing equipment. And also unlike those disciplines, there are no other organisations allowing flexibility - as you note the 2km and 5k options from parkrun allow opportunity outside of UKA. At the early levels too BC for example combine multiple events in a single session (Race, TT, skills etc.)

Remember these distances are not just "recommended", but the absolute maximum that is allowed to be created, if 50m is far for a kid to swim, have a 25m swim and a longer bike or run. Flexibility is part of accessibility, some don't like just doing short events.

But as I said, despite having a kid who's interested in doing a triathlon, likely very capable, I won't be doing one unless one appears right on my doorstep as the effort is too high for what it is.

I coach right down to 7 year olds numerous times a week. My son was tristart lat season and I believe the BTF has it spot on. Build the foundations and then slowly increase the distance. Yes no doubt all the kids I coach could do more, they run 2k at school for WU to rugby training in Y3. They cycle around 10k in an hour session on the fixed wheel at Herne Hill from 8yrs old on Saturdays and we must have them doing similar. In swim the young ones do 45min sessions of about 1km but for all these sessions we do its 95% skills based. Fitness just comes from the time performing skills. By stressing their bodies to much they fall into bad habits, potentially over stress themselves and can get injured or store up issues for when they get older. I dont see why anyone would want their kids doing much more. TS1 which is 8year olds is a big leap with a 150m (200m OW) swim, 4k bike and 1200m run.

I do see the point about cost / travel. I paid 35 for a race last year that took 8min 30seconds (50m/1.5km/500m) and was a 75min round trip. I would have gone as coach to the kids in the squad anyway but its a bit much cost wise also but they had to close roads, hire the pool and fields and marshal cover was triple what you'd need for an adult race and all needed DBS etc. The London region is particularly lucky though with multisport, although a lot more aquathlons than anything else due to the ease of putting them on at schools.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
I notice the Brownlee rule has been added in.

A competitor cannot physically assist the forward progress of another competitor on any part of the course. Doing so will result in both competitors being disqualified.

Presumably if I lend someone a gel or bike part etc. that isn't physically helping them progress. Despite the fact they might not be able to progress without it.

Jeff

that scenario is fine - Rule 2.2.a

"The assistance provided by event personnel or Technical Officials is allowed but is limited to providing drinks, nutrition, mechanical and medical assistance. Competitors competing in the same race may assist each other with incidental items such as, but not restricted to, nutrition and drinks after a water station and pumps, tubular tires, inner tubes and puncture repair kits"
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I coach right down to 7 year olds numerous times a week. My son was tristart lat season and I believe the BTF has it spot on. Build the foundations and then slowly increase the distance. Yes no doubt all the kids I coach could do more, they run 2k at school for WU to rugby training in Y3. They cycle around 10k in an hour session on the fixed wheel at Herne Hill from 8yrs old on Saturdays and we must have them doing similar. In swim the young ones do 45min sessions of about 1km but for all these sessions we do its 95% skills based. Fitness just comes from the time performing skills. By stressing their bodies to much they fall into bad habits, potentially over stress themselves and can get injured or store up issues for when they get older. I dont see why anyone would want their kids doing much more. TS1 which is 8year olds is a big leap with a 150m (200m OW) swim, 4k bike and 1200m run.

I do see the point about cost / travel. I paid 35 for a race last year that took 8min 30seconds (50m/1.5km/500m) and was a 75min round trip. I would have gone as coach to the kids in the squad anyway but its a bit much cost wise also but they had to close roads, hire the pool and fields and marshal cover was triple what you'd need for an adult race and all needed DBS etc. The London region is particularly lucky though with multisport, although a lot more aquathlons than anything else due to the ease of putting them on at schools.

Yep, pretty much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: