Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Disc cover for box rim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Disc cover for box rim Reply with quote

I've got a set of 40/60 HED wheels which I purchased a disc cover for from a guy in the UK who lists on Ebay.

I've subsequently bought a powertap wheel on a Mavic open pro rim which is a classic box shape. I.e. no extra depth after the brake track to stick the cover to.

The place I bought my cover from specifies only wheels with more than 30mm depth so no good for this wheel but I can see that Wheelbuilder in USA does covers for any rim.

Has anyone fitted a cover to a box rim and how did they attached the edges of the cover, if at all? Any other advice/tips as I'd like the option of using the Powertap in races if possible.

Thanks
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Disc cover for box rim Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I've got a set of 40/60 HED wheels which I purchased a disc cover for from a guy in the UK who lists on Ebay.

I've subsequently bought a powertap wheel on a Mavic open pro rim which is a classic box shape. I.e. no extra depth after the brake track to stick the cover to.

The place I bought my cover from specifies only wheels with more than 30mm depth so no good for this wheel but I can see that Wheelbuilder in USA does covers for any rim.

Has anyone fitted a cover to a box rim and how did they attached the edges of the cover, if at all? Any other advice/tips as I'd like the option of using the Powertap in races if possible.

I assume that's a new powertap, I have covers for an old which are almost useless to me now... For me - on a rim only slightly larger than an open pro there's enough room to electrial tape in the cover.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it 2nd hand but it's the G3 which I think is the latest model.

There's pretty much nothing on my rim after the brake track unless I could tape to the horizontal surface before you get to the spokes.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much for a new rim and a rebuild?

Sounds like you could quite quickly negate a lot of drag reduction by fiddling too much with ill-fitting stuff.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into that yet but I'm guessing 100 plus even with a cheapish rim and spokes.

20 for a disc cover is worth a punt, if I had to spend a lot more I would probably just stick where I am with the choice of Power or the HED 60.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: