Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TSS formula...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dazzmaster




Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: TSS formula... Reply with quote

You have to excuse slightly nerdy post...
Have been thinking this through lately... While the usual TSS formula is

[time in hours] x NP x IF x 100 / FTP

this can be simplified as

[time in hours] x IF^2 x 100

(since IF = NP/FTP)


Is this actually right, from the perspective of measuring one's effort? I guess that putting in say 10% more time should be less 'stressful' than doing a 10% more intensity, and equally doing 40% vs 30% intensity should be less of an increase than doing 90% vs 80%. So mathematically the directions are right, but been wondering if anyone ever did any studies or analysis on the actual relationship... Could not find discussions here about this either, and all you can find on TrainingPeaks reads quite dogmatically... Smile

cheers
d
_________________
'18: Maastricht IM (can't wait) + Big East + Chilterns Middle Distance
'17: Vitoria Gasteiz Long Course + Woburner
'16: Copenhagen IM
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8227
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an approximation, it'll never be right for an individual, but equally as an approximation it serves a purpose, you cannot get too beat up about how exactly accurate it might be.

Personally for me, due to difficulty to reliably identify an FTP, I have always preferred HR proxies. Regardless though the inaccuracies do nothing but help identify long term trends.
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2466
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: TSS formula... Reply with quote

dazzmaster wrote:
You have to excuse slightly nerdy post...
Have been thinking this through lately... While the usual TSS formula is

[time in hours] x NP x IF x 100 / FTP

this can be simplified as

[time in hours] x IF^2 x 100

(since IF = NP/FTP)


Is this actually right, from the perspective of measuring one's effort? I guess that putting in say 10% more time should be less 'stressful' than doing a 10% more intensity, and equally doing 40% vs 30% intensity should be less of an increase than doing 90% vs 80%. So mathematically the directions are right, but been wondering if anyone ever did any studies or analysis on the actual relationship... Could not find discussions here about this either, and all you can find on TrainingPeaks reads quite dogmatically... Smile

cheers
d


No, to simplify the equation as suggested you still need to divide time and 100 by FTP.
_________________
Iron Ď17 16h11, '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1469

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: TSS formula... Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
dazzmaster wrote:
You have to excuse slightly nerdy post...
Have been thinking this through lately... While the usual TSS formula is

[time in hours] x NP x IF x 100 / FTP

this can be simplified as

[time in hours] x IF^2 x 100

(since IF = NP/FTP)


Is this actually right, from the perspective of measuring one's effort? I guess that putting in say 10% more time should be less 'stressful' than doing a 10% more intensity, and equally doing 40% vs 30% intensity should be less of an increase than doing 90% vs 80%. So mathematically the directions are right, but been wondering if anyone ever did any studies or analysis on the actual relationship... Could not find discussions here about this either, and all you can find on TrainingPeaks reads quite dogmatically... Smile

cheers
d


No, to simplify the equation as suggested you still need to divide time and 100 by FTP.

No, he's right. His simplification is mathematically accurate. He just missed brackets around the (NP x IF x 100) part. They're all divided by FTP. I've also only ever seen TSS written as the IF^2 version, so I know that is correct.

As Jim says, ultimately it's an approximation of the training load. If your FTP isnt accurate then that will clearly skew the results significantly. And even if it is accurate, taking the Sufferfest 4DP idea, someone who is much more conditioned to work at VO2max levels will in reality be putting much less stress on their body than someone who is not. Yet the TSS calculation would not take that into account.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do if you think you can improve on the FTP or TSS formulas is pop a post on Slowtwitch then hide whilst you await the onslaught from Coogan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2466
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Best thing to do if you think you can improve on the FTP or TSS formulas is pop a post on Slowtwitch then hide whilst you await the onslaught from Coogan.


Steve Coogan would be great, Coggan not so much.

He is a bell end isnít he? Itís not even that amazing a formula, but sport is filled with those the education system didnít value.
_________________
Iron Ď17 16h11, '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 383

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
iwaters wrote:
Best thing to do if you think you can improve on the FTP or TSS formulas is pop a post on Slowtwitch then hide whilst you await the onslaught from Coogan.


Steve Coogan would be great, Coggan not so much.

He is a bell end isnít he? Itís not even that amazing a formula, but sport is filled with those the education system didnít value.


Potato, potarto.

He is a funny old chap. I am sure he has put a lot of effort in to his research and has come up with a lot of useful stuff that lots of people use but he comes across as a weapons grade bell end on the forums. Can't seem to accept that stuff moves on and changes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.