Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Condition of roads around the world
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fruit thief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Condition of roads around the world Reply with quote

Richard Allbert wrote:

I think the motorways in the UK are terrible.

The issue in the UK is the large chip that's used. It makes the roads rough - fuel mileage suffers, and cycling is terrible.

Respect for cycling on motorways, you must be fast Wink
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK roads are utterly shocking.

Bizarrely it makes me really angry, I find it unfathomable that having functioning (smooth) roads isn't a priority. Around where I live they are so bad even the cars are bashed about.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess that my cycling experience in France was nearly 25 years ago, and out on the west (Charente) coast, around villages there. I have no doubt many people cycle in the alpine regions and the south where perhaps the roads are way better.
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I must confess that my cycling experience in France was nearly 25 years ago, and out on the west (Charente) coast, around villages there. I have no doubt many people cycle in the alpine regions and the south where perhaps the roads are way better.

In France it is the choice of roads that makes it so much more bearable. It goes from motorways to N roads, then A to C and often D roads. Dependent on the region. You obviously can't cycle a motorway, N roads, only when absolutely necessary, normally just to cross junctions and then you have the rest. When cars and cyclists have such a vast choice, why wouldn't it be great.

The south is a misnomer. If you're thinking the south east, it gets more difficult as you're having to squash roads and people between mountains and sea, so it gets a bit more interesting. The middle of the country is the easiest, where it's a bit flatter and the options are endless.

The French drivers still get a bit tense when there's a cycle path option but cyclists choose the road - often because the cycle path isn't swept. But that's not often.

I miss it so very much...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
The French drivers still get a bit tense when there's a cycle path option but cyclists choose the road - often because the cycle path isn't swept. But that's not often.

Yes it's the same in Germany. So I would generally choose the quiet back roads or sooth ones that had no bike path! Plus I always used to worry about cars pulling out onto me if I was hammering along a bike path with limited visibility.

In my first couple of weeks in Erding I erroneously found myself on an 'Expressway' which is not meant for cycles or argricultural vehicles (it's a fast single carriageway). I remember thinking what a great road it was, and not that busy - except for the odd car beeping me Rolling Eyes Very Happy Only made that mistake once after I mentioned it to a german I knew!
jay clock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cycled in loads of places and the common denominator is all the locals complaining that their roads are terrible and how bad the drivers are

Off to the USA soon for 10 weeks for this so I will find out there too www.usacycle2018.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: