Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 7 days are up, and in spite of a cold/sore throat squeezed in a randon Watopia ride for 1h before it expired. I suppose the hour did pass fairly easily, but I can see those workouts being a bit aimless tbh. I think you either need to do structured Intervals, or a race. I would also think that those using controllable smart trainers are at an advantage compared to those of us using PMs with dumb trainers (or non controllable smart) - as we don't get the same gradient or drafting benefits. I tried to ease off slighly in the race when my avatar sat-up in the draft.

I've got a few months off as a man-of-leisure coming-up, so I might do the Zwift thing for that time, as I'll be able to use it way more during the day; I believe there's no min contract? But I'll have to keep it at intervals or races, and all other riding outside, enjoyed at a sensible pace.

Never managed to work-out the linking Zwift Power to my Zwift accont; linking Strava worked okay. I found my Zwift acct number, which it told me to add to my surname, but then when I tried to link, it then gave me another 4-digit code to add...is that on top of the Zwift code, or just those 4 digits? Also, I think I saw somewhere it wouldn't link to an acct with less than 250km on it Question
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
My 7 days are up, and in spite of a cold/sore throat squeezed in a randon Watopia ride for 1h before it expired. I suppose the hour did pass fairly easily, but I can see those workouts being a bit aimless tbh. I think you either need to do structured Intervals, or a race. I would also think that those using controllable smart trainers are at an advantage compared to those of us using PMs with dumb trainers (or non controllable smart) - as we don't get the same gradient or drafting benefits. I tried to ease off slighly in the race when my avatar sat-up in the draft.

I've got a few months off as a man-of-leisure coming-up, so I might do the Zwift thing for that time, as I'll be able to use it way more during the day; I believe there's no min contract? But I'll have to keep it at intervals or races, and all other riding outside, enjoyed at a sensible pace.

Never managed to work-out the linking Zwift Power to my Zwift accont; linking Strava worked okay. I found my Zwift acct number, which it told me to add to my surname, but then when I tried to link, it then gave me another 4-digit code to add...is that on top of the Zwift code, or just those 4 digits? Also, I think I saw somewhere it wouldn't link to an acct with less than 250km on it Question

there's been a few issues so they had to bring in rules like that to stop cheating (yes there is lots). Did you see T.Pinot (verified account) rode in the C cat the other day. lots of unhappy people even though he finished down the order and was probably on a recovery ride. Some people take their gaming way too seriously.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inner geak can definitely see the appeal of Zwift, but I would agree with Jorgan's comments, needs a properly connected trainer and joining in with others for races or sessions. As I use my trainer at indeterminate times the idea of planning a ride at a particular time of day takes away one of the key benefits of "I have an hour, lets get a ride in now". And when I last looked, individual interval sessions were better implemented on other platforms.
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done the trial and did 2 rides.
I have pre-planned sessions and it definitely helped pass the time better watching my avatar and the scenery than staring at the brick wall in my cellar.

You do need to reign your ego in when getting passed, though, if you want to stick to the planned session.

I did sign up for one of the long Sunday rides but ended up going out for 3.5 hours instead and freezing Twisted Evil
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed-up, as I have 3.5 months off work before I hopefully start a new job on civvy-street (already had an offer so fingers crossed!). I'll probably only use it 2-3 times a week, as I like to ride outside, we'll see how it goes. Did the FTP(short) test on Sunday and I'm up 5w so that's good.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatly enjoyed doing last weekend's 'long ride' as the Mega-Pretzel Grand Fondo. Massive field of all Cats so race really broke up into small groups.

Did not really race it, but found it engaging to ride around 65-70%, with the occasional 'effort' to bridge between groups and to work slowly through the field over the 3.5 odd hours. Ended with a really quality Z2 with occasional Z3 ride.

Signed up for similar this weekend.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My raised FTP means on Jon's Short Mix, it wants me to do 750w on a Tacx Satori. I can't even do that on the road Sad. I think those intervals are designed for road racers!,
duckhen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was anyone on the SZR Activitus Ironteam workout this morning. I thought it was a great session but canít find anymore on the calendar.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tour of Watopia - anyone else in?

I did stage 1 yesterday and will do stage 2 tomorrow. Definitely motivating chasing people and staying on wheels. Even managed to outsprint a wheel sucker at the end.

It certainly helps to look at the profile beforehand. I didn't yesterday and had no idea what I was in store for. I've had a look at tomorrow and know where to distribute my power better.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not doing the full tour but have a tempo ride in the plan tonight so will do stage 2 as I find these good for holding tempo/sweetspot sort of intensities.

I do a few races but tend not to 'race' them for final placings - this means going balls out from the gun; I'll stick to the planned intensity of the training session but I like rolling off the start easy which puts me in the back of the field.

I'll then spend the race trying to work through the field, bridging groups etc - found this keeps me really engaged.

Think I'm doing the 7 or 8pm? leg tonight, can't quite remember the start time..
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Not doing the full tour but have a tempo ride in the plan tonight so will do stage 2 as I find these good for holding tempo/sweetspot sort of intensities.

I do a few races but tend not to 'race' them for final placings - this means going balls out from the gun; I'll stick to the planned intensity of the training session but I like rolling off the start easy which puts me in the back of the field.

I'll then spend the race trying to work through the field, bridging groups etc - found this keeps me really engaged.

Think I'm doing the 7 or 8pm? leg tonight, can't quite remember the start time..

Every 2 hours on the evens so it will be 8.
I'm off today so not sure what time I'll do yet, probably the 2 or 4pm.

Im at the bottom of Cat C so the races will be good for me to cling on and build power. I did a 15 min spin to warm up last week and will probably do the same for future races.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone done the AdH climb yet?
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, Iím only at level 6. It may be next on the tour though.
Stage 3: Tour of fire and Ice - April 9th or 10th
Distance: 25.1km (15.6 mi) Elevation: 1166m (3827)

Stage 2 last night, 50 mins at 99% FTP had the legs wobbling. Now for an easier few days.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the AdH climb. Just very very long, cruised up it without gunning it. Think the KOM will be good for hour + 'efforts', but visually a lot of it was samey, very like the previous epic KOM climb, can't really remember any 'wow' moments like the first time doing the Volcano or Mayan ruins.

Coming down was fun, but must remember next time I do hairpins in real life that they require a bit of slowing down....
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
My raised FTP means on Jon's Short Mix, it wants me to do 750w on a Tacx Satori. I can't even do that on the road Sad. I think those intervals are designed for road racers!,

750 max or over how long time? I don't think I am as strong as you on the bike (judging by times you have posted on various events) but I can kick out 1100-1200 max on the Satori and probably 15s 750. Ain't 750 FTP though. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: