Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Advice Welcome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Advice Welcome Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Looking for a bot of advice. I've got a 70.3 in August (Aberfeldy) and pool based Sprint in May.

Have been a runner/cyclist for year, never really any structured training. Not done any triathlons yet.

I've been looing at various training plans and I'm well confused! Main aim is to complete both tri's under cut off. Next year I can start thinking about pb's and speeding up!

Do I train specifically for both? Do I focus on just building endurance for August?

Pool based can swim 2300 metres in an hour. Half marathon last year was 1hr 43 mins and normally average 15 mph road cycling in very hilly area.

9-5 job, usually can manage 45 minutes training morning/night, longer available at weekends.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designate the 70.3 as your A race and the sprint as your B...or merely a training session.

Train for the 70.3. The sprint should be shorter than your long training sessions by then iirc and youíll have nothing but the logistics to worry about.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Tin Pot, the sprint is a training day out / kit test / have a laugh in prep for the HIM (unless you want to be fast in which case it hurts like hell, but that's not your target).

Sub-50 min swim, 15mph bike and sub-2 hour HM? You could complete the HIM well under cut-off right now.

And training plans are only as good as how they fit you. Basically means the ones you can find on the net rarely does.

Put your race dates in a calendar, put some markers down in advance of them to check your fitness level (e.g. big bike 2-3 weeks before, or bike/run brick). Then start filling in training sessions to hit each intermediate target FITTING IT AROUND YOUR LIFE. Generic training plans off the net don't do that. Also, avoid making the sessions clash. E.g. hard bike the day after a long run when the legs are knackered = fairly useless training (might loosen the legs up though). The big sessions are in order to get used to eating while performing which is your new 4th discipline - and must be taken serious.

Other than that sounds like you're doing ok. Slowly ramp up intensity OR distance, either will work well. As you say, next year you can think of what you then need to do to get better.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KISS principle. Train SBR consistently, build the distances slowly (I assume that you're not bothered about increasing pace?). Sounds like you can do a Sprint in your sleep now anyway. Just keep plugging away with a Smile
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, really good advice.

Must say, Iím enjoying it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: