Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 377, 378, 379

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the change in pace helps, Manchester was flat but twisty in places as you went through some housing estates.

Probably not that low key though, but it wasn't a bad race. You had to watch out for the potholes in a few places though.

Jeff
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find i tend to outperform on hilly events vs flat. Not in terms of time obviously but vs other runners. Maybe because i'm a relative lightweight at 66kg.
Thats not really what you asked though.... i definitely find the mental break up helps on undulating courses... i tend to just get it done rather than constantly check pace. A drag strip generally requires minimal deviation from a set pace and i think that concentration in itself probably adds to fatigue!
GPS tech has a lot to answer for....
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory of Taunton, albeit from 20+ years ago was a flat course with an annoying hill at mile 12 that scuppered any thoughts of a PB, even with a mostly downhill mile 13. While it was an annoyance on the half, those on the full found a hill at mile 25 to be a killer. That said, the course has probably changed in the intervening decades.

My half PB is from a very flat course (Guernsey). It was so flat that any slight incline was a relief. But no denying it was quick.
YKK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:

London again for you this year right? Are you on the tritalk sub3strava group ?

I am theoretically running London again, (ummm, I also have a place at Brighton the week before!, (it was free for "elite" sub 2:45 types) so I could not resit the chance to call myself "elite". However its timing and the logistical hassle means I probably wont do it).

I am in the sub 3 strava group, but have a jiggered calf, which is only just coming back at the moment so your strava segments are safe at the moment Smile

Again I seem to be the opposite to most, I train on flat, I always seek flat, I love the metronomic(sp?) consistent pace. Hills just get in the way! However having said that I knew the only place I could qualify for the 1/2 IM worlds was Exmoor due to its hilly nature, so I am not to bad on them if they are there Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 377, 378, 379
Page 379 of 379

Jump to: