Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Holding a children's obstacle course event

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Holding a children's obstacle course event Reply with quote

(Not sure if this is on or off topic...)

My wife is helping the local park raise money for maintenance etc through a "Friend of.." group. The park has a really nice woodland area in it, as well as the usual open green areas.

I've pondered if I could arrange a "Tough Kidder" event of some sort. My idea is to level it with two options on most things targeting 5-7 years and 8-10 years, and if someone thinks that's too easy then they can do it twice. Below 5 it's hard to do much imho.

It's for raising money for a park and not commercial so while there will be some money to do stuff it won't be massive. Fairly low key "over/under bars", "walk the plank", "run across roots", "high/low ropes to walk" etc. using the trees and environment as much as possible.

Have any of you done anything similar? Or in case of Tri Kids, what sort of things should I look out for / in to?

Insurance is an obvious one and not one I am entirely sure of. It might be the council can cover it.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive put on kids tri so can help a little. First get a risk assessment done. Cant do anything without one these days. then approach council / park owners for permission. You may also need food licence if doing BBQ / cake stall. Insurance I cant help with as I just use BTF. Then you need to organise SJA cover, but maybe use an alternative as they are very expensive and there are a lot of private companies that will do medical cover for half the price. You shouldn't need DBS (old CRB) checks done as its a one off so dont worry about that. As its charity check status of that, again not something i know much about but I'm sure there is a local "friends" group who have charitable status so could link in / advise you. Oh and get as many volunteers as possible. Start now as people make plans an if you get 40 say yes it will be about 20 who show up on the day Wink
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Holding a children's obstacle course event Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
It might be the council can cover it.

This is the first thing almost certainly - talk to the local council parks team and active exercise promotion team, they'll possibly even have some significant experience depending on the council.
buzzing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a NSPCC fundraiser with my daughter last year that sounds similar to what you're trying to achieve. Google "Messathon" for some ideas. Climbing over hay bales, under cargo nets, big paddling pools full of muddy water, a foam pit to slide down, bouncy hoppers through to the finish - my daughter beat me by a country mile.

It also took in the natural parts of the park for the route, and used existing climbing frames etc that were already there.

Lots of fun, and with the right publicity you should be on to a winner.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Little Welly for inspiration.

Very popular - totally sells out. Although they jacked the prices up last year, particularly for watching adults, which was not taken very well.

https://www.thelittlewelly.co.uk/
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking information folks, especially giving me ideas on what to possibly arrange.

There is a nice long hill in the park and a foam/water slide could quite easily be made with some plastic sheets (was googling "diy waterslide" last night) - which would be a winner! And spacehoppers should be doable as well I'd imagine, as well as a net to crawl under. All reasonably safe as well if managed.

It's hard to get a risk assessment before I have an idea of what to do but this should be allow me to do get started.

Also, it's a charity event with a small local group so investment will be very low. Cost would probably be 3 quid per child or something for 15-20 minutes of obstacle course. Low expectation perhaps 30 kids(?) and 90 quid doesn't buy much more than a few supplies and some knucklefat if it's to make a profit. Bad weather could easily scubber it as well, but of course a warm sunny day and it could soar to hundred+ kids.

With it being local, marketing shouldn't be too hard with posters and promotion at nearby schools and clubs.

Thanks folks!
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe turn up at the local Park Run and Kids Park Run to promote - should get a pretty high take-up from them, but make sure your event is not going to clash with their existing slots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: