Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman nutrition - specifically the bike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Ironman nutrition - specifically the bike Reply with quote

For the last Ironman event I did, I measured the 3 scoops of Torq powder into small plastic sealable bags and took them with me on the bike course. I looked like a drug dealer!

I was drinking 1 x bottle per hour, and 1 x gel per hour.

This meant I could collect water bottles from the feed stations, and rely on nutrition that I know I like and has worked in training. The packets didn't take up too much space in my trisuit pocket, but adding the powder to the bottles did slow me down a bit.

Just wondering if I am over-engineering this, and should I just bite the bullet and learn to rely on Powerbar drinks in training, the same as the course? What does everyone else do for long-course bike nutrition?

Cheers,

Ozzie
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Torq in my last few IM's
You could do a super concentrated mix of Torq in a 500 or 750ml bottle. If its 3 scoops/750 bottle, 1 bottle an hourx6 = 18 scoops in a bottle topped up with water. Mark the bottle in 6ths, and put 1/6 in aero bottle and top up with aid station water.

Maybe I'm the one over engineering it?
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Powerbar drink. But as it was the nutrition provider for wales I bought a big tub and used it religiously in training.

come raceday it went down fine. If I had had to empty powder into water bottles in those conditions I think I would have thrown a proper hissy and quit the race!

I always rely on course nutrition as it just makes life SO much easier.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman nutrition - specifically the bike Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:
For the last Ironman event I did, I measured the 3 scoops of Torq powder into small plastic sealable bags and took them with me on the bike course. I looked like a drug dealer!

I was drinking 1 x bottle per hour, and 1 x gel per hour.

This meant I could collect water bottles from the feed stations, and rely on nutrition that I know I like and has worked in training. The packets didn't take up too much space in my trisuit pocket, but adding the powder to the bottles did slow me down a bit.

Just wondering if I am over-engineering this, and should I just bite the bullet and learn to rely on Powerbar drinks in training, the same as the course? What does everyone else do for long-course bike nutrition?

Cheers,

Ozzie

Love Torq products. I've tried have one concentrated bottle and several normal mixed ones. For me the normal mixed ones work best - I just find it easier to get the volume rate right.

FWIW. What I do.
500ml/hr torq drink - every 15mins drink some.
1 gel (on the 30mins)
1/2 bar (on the hour)

start the bike with 2*750ml (may be 700ml, but thereabouts) full.
When the first one is done, I'll then pick up water at feed stations and drink etc to thirst for the spare cage.
Pick up the second 2 as special needs which I thought would be slow but in practice has been super quick. (I think I had it at 15 seconds stopped at IM Wales.)
ed_m

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a while... I definitely don't like to be dependant on race drinks as the concentration seems to be so variable and I also like to be able to split my nutrition & hydration requirements, an extra bottle or two of energy drink on a hot day is a big deviation carb & energy wise from the plan.

I ended up using triple strength hi5 in one bottle, and nuun in the other.
Knowing that I planned to drink 1/3 of the hi5 bottle per hour with a break in the 3rd hour (extra gel) meant it should last 4hrs.. replacing the nuun with plain water from feedstation and maybe one race drink toward the end.
The rest of nutrition was then gels with the option of half energy bars from feed station if preferred and some solids toward the end before the run.

That was developed over several years and worked okay for me Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: