Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garmin vector 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Garmin vector 3 Reply with quote

I'm looking to sell my old bike and possibly put my 53/39 Quarq S975 on it so I can put the SRAM Red 52/36 crank back on my new bike (I'm not a climber and never will be but like hilly races).

I'm thinking I'll only get about £200-250 more for the PM but that would go towards some Vectors so I can transfer to my road bike and have the best of both worlds.

Are there any deals around for the single side version under the £500 ones I can find?
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

399 at Sigma for 3s it seems.

Out of curiosity, why not P1 since most seem to think they are better? (No need to torq as precisely)

Also, not sure how it all works out but loads of Vector 3/3s and P1 s/d on secondhand market for less. Seen quite a few P1 dual for sub-500.
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

Out of curiosity, why not P1 since most seem to think they are better? (No need to torq as precisely)

Also, not sure how it all works out but loads of Vector 3/3s and P1 s/d on secondhand market for less. Seen quite a few P1 dual for sub-500.

The £399 is the upgrade pedal, not the one with the PM in.

I've never really looked at the P1 until today but it has 1/2 the battery life and is heavier, less accurate (although minimal) so what is better?

I'm not particularly bothered about single/double sided and can upgrade later if I want. The Vector 3 doesn't need a torque wrench either.

Educate me because I am probably missing something, I usually am!
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 3rd option for pedal based power:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/power-meter-pedal-shootout-vector-3-vs-powertap-p1-vs-assioma.html

As I understand it, Vector 2 had a torque requirement (and pods) that made swapping between bikes a bit of a PITA. Vector 3 fixes all that. It needs a pedal wrench instead of an allen key which is a but harder if you intend to travel with pedals to fit on a hire bike. Otherwise, apart from looks and weight the difference comes down to battery choice, AAA v. LR44 coin cell v. rechargable.

--
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Chrace wrote:

The £399 is the upgrade pedal, not the one with the PM in.

I've never really looked at the P1 until today but it has 1/2 the battery life and is heavier, less accurate (although minimal) so what is better?

I'm not particularly bothered about single/double sided and can upgrade later if I want. The Vector 3 doesn't need a torque wrench either.

Educate me because I am probably missing something, I usually am!

P1 have a working BT4.0 connection. Garmin hasnt sorted that yet although i think its planned for a future firmware update. Accuracy isnt quite as tested on some of the V3's yet, usual Garmin early adopter issues. swapping out easier on P1 as its an 8mm hex key not a pedal wrench. Battery life is still pretty good on P1's and its 1 AAA battery per unit so very cheap and available pretty much everywhere at anytime. weight, take a shit pre ride Wink
PCP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I use a Garmin 800 so no Bluetooth and donít want to upgrade it while it works. Will both work with it?
tunney

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 quid to replace the bearings on the P1s and they go quickly. I regret buying them.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Cheers. I use a Garmin 800 so no Bluetooth and donít want to upgrade it while it works. Will both work with it?

yep ANT+ works fine.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunney wrote:
250 quid to replace the bearings on the P1s and they go quickly. I regret buying them.

mine are fine after 2.5years. I've never had 1 issue with them since the day I bought them.
david1273

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Vector 3's for 6 weeks or so and haven't had any problems with them...seem to be pretty consistent when I have swapped them between bikes too.

A friend of mine has the Assioma single sided, rides we've done together have matched up well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: