Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
AGer Kevin Moats gets 8 year suspension after second offence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
I have to go and wee in a cup this morning; probably the last time before I leave the mob. Think I've been tested about 6 times in the last 3.5 years. I have an immediate pension & honourable discharge at stake in my case, not a piece of perspex.

Call that my OOC testing Smile

oooooh. Now you'll be able to train full time win a couple of IM's and go to Kona.

Isn't that what every AG'er thinks would happen if they didn't have to work

Smile Rolling Eyes

He may get those 45 seconds at last
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, I'm not old enough to retire yet. I'm not even in what are the peak doping AGs yet (if you assume it's the over 50s on their T patches). Just turned 44. Probably not even going long this year, as I'll be starting a new job.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Hah, I'm not old enough to retire yet. I'm not even in what are the peak doping AGs yet (if you assume it's the over 50s on their T patches). Just turned 44. Probably not even going long this year, as I'll be starting a new job.

I'm only teasing.

I can also say from experience it is simply not true (I didn't quite my job for tri but I was not working for a long period). I just broke. Perhaps if I had a 3 year plan to ramp from 12hr average training weeks to 18 hour avg training weeks it would have worked. But even ramping it over several months it became too much week in week out.

Interestingly (from a sports phys/tri geek pov) it was lack of recovery. I just wasn't recovering between sessions. So I had to dial my training back, which meant that I wasn't actually doing the increased volume.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I'm only teasing.

I can also say from experience it is simply not true (I didn't quite my job for tri but I was not working for a long period). I just broke. Perhaps if I had a 3 year plan to ramp from 12hr average training weeks to 18 hour avg training weeks it would have worked. But even ramping it over several months it became too much week in week out.

Interestingly (from a sports phys/tri geek pov) it was lack of recovery. I just wasn't recovering between sessions. So I had to dial my training back, which meant that I wasn't actually doing the increased volume.

Yeah, I have a few paid months off before I leave. I'm under no illusion that I'll be banging-out 20h weeks, as I'll have lots of other distractions, like having a life and ferrying the kids about to/from school/pre school etc What I do hope though, is that I'll get some nice longer mid-week rides in on my endurance bike, and keep weekends fairly clear.

If I drop the kids at 9, then have to collect again at 3.15, that's not a lot of time, assuming I have other tasks to complete and I don't just want to train for 5h solid! What I will do some days, is swim early, then come home and sort the kids so my wife can go off to work, then do something else during the day. I like keeping evenings free if routine/commitments allow.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I'm only teasing.

Yeah, I have a few paid months off before I leave. I'm under no illusion that I'll be banging-out 20h weeks, as I'll have lots of other distractions, like having a life and ferrying the kids about to/from school/pre school etc What I do hope though, is that I'll get some nice longer mid-week rides in on my endurance bike, and keep weekends fairly clear.

If I drop the kids at 9, then have to collect again at 3.15, that's not a lot of time, assuming I have other tasks to complete and I don't just want to train for 5h solid! What I will do some days, is swim early, then come home and sort the kids so my wife can go off to work, then do something else during the day. I like keeping evenings free if routine/commitments allow.

Switching my week's routine to long sessions in the week was one of the big benefits, particularly for my social life with gfriend and extended friends. Training buddies less so as didn't do the long ride with them. (and I do it solo leading up to a race anyway)
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I'm only teasing.

Switching my week's routine to long sessions in the week was one of the big benefits, particularly for my social life with gfriend and extended friends. Training buddies less so as didn't do the long ride with them. (and I do it solo leading up to a race anyway)

the key benefit of leading an elite life is simply the time to rest and recover...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I'm only teasing.

the key benefit of leading an elite life is simply the time to rest and recover...

I'm stuffed then!
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="explorerJC"][quote="tuckandgo"][quote="Jorgan"]
tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Yeah but in my experience I didn't recover from the sessions quickly enough, even doing nothing but eat the right food, sit on the sofa watching tv and doing active recovery. Sure I could do 'big' (by amateur standards) weeks for a peak build but not for 3-4+months on end.

Am sure if I had a 5 year build up structured build up I could, but I don't, I have 5-6 years of 12-15 hour weeks with the odd bad month or two here or there just to put a spanner in consistency. Like most keen amateurs I suspect.

And my poor genetics Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tuckandgo"][quote="explorerJC"][quote="tuckandgo"]
Jorgan wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Yeah but in my experience I didn't recover from the sessions quickly enough, even doing nothing but eat the right food, sit on the sofa watching tv and doing active recovery. Sure I could do 'big' (by amateur standards) weeks for a peak build but not for 3-4+months on end.

Am sure if I had a 5 year build up structured build up I could, but I don't, I have 5-6 years of 12-15 hour weeks with the odd bad month or two here or there just to put a spanner in consistency. Like most keen amateurs I suspect.

And my poor genetics Wink

but if you'd had that 5 year lead up, you may well have sustained the load better....and yep, your genetics suck Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Cobbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Henry started school this year and it's been a shock to the system how little time there is compared to the 10 hour days at nursery.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Henry started school this year and it's been a shock to the system how little time there is compared to the 10 hour days at nursery.

Interesting! We've never really had much problem finding time to train, and it's easier certainly with Otter at school, and doing activities when they're not there to entertain and you don't feel you're running out on them.

I've actually only been happy taking Otter to one of her Parkour sessions because I get an easy hour to run in the Surrey hills (or sadly when it's wet and miserable down the A24) and time to shower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: