Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Trisuit advice please..!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Trisuit advice please..! Reply with quote

Im going to give short distance tris a go after about 7 years away.

No interest in anything over olympic this year and most events will be local pool swim sprints.

I'm a good club level swimmer but cycling is my real strength. The run is coming along..but def needs work..!

My TT head says a sleeved suit..but these all seem to be designed for longer races & wetsuit swims..is this right.?

I want the best i can get..so open to suggestions.!

Thanks
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there's that much in them these days, I bought a Skinfit Streamliner a few years ago, it was one of the first with sleeves to your elbow, I partly bought it because it would save sunburn on longer races and it was supposed to be pretty aero.

Sunburn is less of an issue on Oly distance but you can still get fairly burnt in 2 hours.

I've had my eyes on an D2Z Endura one for this year but there seems to be a lot without much in it for aerodynamics.

Jeff
Chrace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much difference is there these days?

I use the Castelli Free Sanremo s/s suit (linkie) which is very tight on me but very comfy. Used it for IM Copenhagen in '15 in 30C and sun and glad I had it against the sun, but also used it in cold conditions where the covered shoulders worked wonders along with a rash vest.

Huub Long Course seems to get good reviews, but hence the question - how much more would you gain from paying 4-500 for a top-end aero suit as opposed to 150? Isn't it more like wetsuits where fit beats all the bells and whistles? (honest question)
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric will make a huge difference...there has been a lot of reseuarch in to TT skinsuits around this.

My concern is purely speed in the pool...will a sleeved suit slow me down at all? (They all seem to have pockets - which i dont need)

Dont care about comfort or sun protection for this one.
blindcider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:
The fabric will make a huge difference...there has been a lot of reseuarch in to TT skinsuits around this.

My concern is purely speed in the pool...will a sleeved suit slow me down at all? (They all seem to have pockets - which i dont need)

Why not just stitch any pockets up if you don't need them?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:

you might want to take note of a change in the BTF rulebook this year which states:

"Trisuits must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non-consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting and/or braiding (this generally refers to suits made only from nylon or lycra that do not have any rubberised material such as polyurethane or neoprene)"
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Hiphophopper wrote:

you might want to take note of a change in the BTF rulebook this year which states:

"Trisuits must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non-consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting and/or braiding (this generally refers to suits made only from nylon or lycra that do not have any rubberised material such as polyurethane or neoprene)"

That's a shame....I was looking forward to rocking the Victorian Triathlete look complete with knitted wool cozzie..

Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:

Probably getting back to fit but in my experience (n=1) then yes, it will. My s/s suit is very good fit on the bike but it means shoulder restriction in the forward movement. My swim form is poor enough that this doesn't matter much for me so I ignore it for the bike comfort benefit (flames away).

Pocket drag is likely to be very little, if any. On the Castelli I have they are kind of sideways and very tight on the back and catch zero water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: