Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bah, Les Anglais

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Bah, Les Anglais Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/30/british-sports-fanatic-runs-80-miles-french-motorway-picked/

Quote:
Britons have a reputation for running on motorways in France, according to the police source. ďIt isnít the first time this has happened and itís usually Britons who do it. Itís peculiar that they run on the motorway. Perhaps itís a national sport [in Britain] but not in our country.Ē

Eeh, it makes yer proud.

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody of any nationality thinks running on motorways is sensible. This is more indicative of the completely self-engrossed bubble that ultra endurance athletes live in.

On that note, yesterday I drove past the guy on his third attempt to beat the Year-long cycling mileage record ("Year Long Time Trial"). Apart from not having any lights on, in failing light, I can't help thinking that this is another example of people living in their own little world. Presumably this guy doesn't have a job/family (how does he fund it?).
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twat

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
twat

don't hold back eJC - tell us what you really think.... Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
twat

don't hold back eJC - tell us what you really think.... Wink

Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
This is more indicative of the completely self-engrossed bubble that ultra endurance athletes live in.

huh ?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
This is more indicative of the completely self-engrossed bubble that ultra endurance athletes live in.

huh ?

Let me clarify. I'm not talking about someone who runs a 50 mile Ultra twice a year - I'm talking about the people that cycle around the world, try to beat most miles in a year records, and people who think running 80 miles along a motorway is okay in their world. I'm afraid, when I read that someone is off on yet another trip riding around the globe or from Alaska to Cape Horn and that they have a family, my first thought is not 'what a legend' it's 'what a selfish pr!ck'.

That said, without people being completely driven, we wouldn't have had all those great leaders, scientists, inventors and so on. But the 'output' there is somewhat different. Endurance records in the 21st Century are no use to anyone.

But to each their own. As an aside, I think I'm going to start vaguely related thread about explorers.
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
ed_m wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

huh ?

Let me clarify. I'm not talking about someone who runs a 50 mile Ultra twice a year - I'm talking about the people that cycle around the world, try to beat most miles in a year records, and people who think running 80 miles along a motorway is okay in their world. I'm afraid, when I read that someone is off on yet another trip riding around the globe or from Alaska to Cape Horn and that they have a family, my first thought is not 'what a legend' it's 'what a selfish pr!ck'.

That said, without people being completely driven, we wouldn't have had all those great leaders, scientists, inventors and so on. But the 'output' there is somewhat different. Endurance records in the 21st Century are no use to anyone.

But to each their own. As an aside, I think I'm going to start vaguely related thread about explorers.

Can't help but agree with you.

However there is also a sector of this 'community' who should be running/riding straight to a psychologist/psychiatrist/counselor. Spending that many self-absorbed hours on your own can be a sign of a serious mental health problem. And running or riding further or faster is not going to help.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
ed_m wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

huh ?

However there is also a sector of this 'community' who should be running/riding straight to a psychologist/psychiatrist/counselor. Spending that many self-absorbed hours on your own can be a sign of a serious mental health problem. And running or riding further or faster is not going to help.

Voila, I give you.....

The Escape Artist
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-Artist-Life-Saddle/dp/1841151041
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmm... I cycled quite a lot last year... quite a lot solo... including LEL in 100hrs with 6hrs sleep.... do I have a problem ? Twisted Evil
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
awildt wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
ed_m wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

huh ?

Voila, I give you.....

The Escape Artist
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-Artist-Life-Saddle/dp/1841151041

Thank you for this link. I'd not come across this book. It looks a great read. I will be buying a copy.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Really good book.

(I think he writes about cycling in the Guardian now, amongst other things)
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
ed_m wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

huh ?

Let me clarify..

Admit it - you were talking about Ed Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
ummmm... I cycled quite a lot last year... quite a lot solo... including LEL in 100hrs with 6hrs sleep.... do I have a problem ? Twisted Evil

yes... with lack of sleep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: