Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tonsillitis & Training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Tonsillitis & Training Reply with quote

Hey all, appealing to the medicine types out there.

Am currently training for 1/2 iron distance 3 races this year and have come down wtih Tonsillits (bacterial type) and am now on 10 days worth of meds, day 2 today - feel a bit better today (meds working) but how long do I leave it before continuing to train - docs advice was fairly nonchalant and said leave it a few days and see how you feel but what do you lot think.
NickF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had tonsilitis so can't be much help, but just remember if you rest and recover well now you are likely to lose less days training than if you overdo it and make the condition worse. Taking a week off to let the body heal can do a lot of physical and mental good later down the line.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to give it a week. Great that you're feeling better, but be careful that meds aren't masking some of the discomfort.

Use the time to sleep lots, drink lots, stretch lots and lots and work out some of those other kinks in the body.

If you have a signficant other that you've been neglecting a wee bit during training, work out some of their kinks as well Wink
NickF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
If you have a signficant other that you've been neglecting a wee bit during training, work out some of their kinks as well Wink

Avoiding any mouth-to-mouth contact of course!
TriWorld

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had tonsillitis about 2 years ago, knocked me out for 2 whole weeks, then got back to training again but it was too quick, I ended up never fully recovering 100% for over a year, it always felt like I had a slight cold.

In hindsight, I wish I would have taken an additional week to recover.

But we all recover differently, I think at the end of the day your body will tell you how it feels. I didn't listen to mine because I was desperate to get back to training, and I paid the price Crying or Very sad
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickF wrote:
FoulOleRon wrote:

Avoiding any mouth-to-mouth contact of course!

Very good point. If you want some wet tonguey action, you might need to bring in a neighbour to act as a surrogate.

You might make some new friends out of this as well!
B.B.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tonsillitis about 6 weeks ago.

Managed to get to the doc pretty soon after it started and onto the antibiotics. No training for 2 days and no swimming for about 5 or 6 days.

Was back doing low intensity stuff after a couple of days though.

Felt back to normal within a week.

I was lucky, but if you play it by ear and are honest about how you are feeling then no reason why you can't get back a bit quicker than you might fear.

And I agree about mouth to mouth with your partner... I gave it to my gf and she nearly choppped my balls off.
oxon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys, gonna blow out all hard sesh's and start with a gentle spinner tomorrow if continuing to make progress.

Am hoping as I caught it early and been doing the Vit C, Zinc and all that other stuff that I recover real quick.
wyno70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a real bad dose that took me out of action for two weeks. A week of fever and little eating.

I've only just returned to very light training yesterday and only low intensity stuff. I'll have been out for nearly 4 weeks in total and couldn't have contemplated returning to trainign before now.

All a bit of a pain in the posterior as I've had to defer my London Marathon place as a result.

Havign said all of that, as highlighted in an earlier reply, it's better to take time out now and get fully recovered than jumping in too quick and letting things linger for months.

I'd take a few more days out if I were you but play it by ear and don't return until you feel competently strong enough.

Good luck
nottcl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely take it easy for a week at least

I got tonsillitis about a week or so before Abingdon marathon in October last year.....was convinced I would be ok to run it (was a qualifying race for Comrades).....in hindsight, I would have bailed as I ran it on the last day of meds......felt weary from the start and then blew up spectacularly at half way and my four hour expectation ended up as a 4:55 nightmare and having to spend 20 minutes with the St John Ambulance guys after the race......horrible and never again

don't underestimate the effect on your body!!!
oxon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well all appears to be getting better, returned to light efforts friday with a zone 2 34 minute run and then a 2hr spinner on the bike sat and 33 min zone 2 run just now.

Good news as all sessions left me feeling okay and avg hr across both runs (same route) has come down with speed up by 15sec/mile.

Thanks all for advice, certainly sounds like either I caught it early or my dose wasn't as bad as could of been,
shashank16997

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basil is another effective home remedies for tonsillitis due to antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Apart from this, its treatment properties and soothing properties will help reduce swelling and pain, as well as speed up the treatment process.

Take 10-15 leaves of basil with one and a half cup of water.
Boil it for 10 minutes.
Separate out the leaves from the solution.
Add lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey in this solution.
Intake the syrup three times a day for better relieve.
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a full blown tonsillitis 13 days ago (came down with it on Tuesday evening).

I started back with low intensity stuff the Monday afterwards, had a fairly easy week last week and ramping it back up now. I'm just following what my body is letting me do, if the paces or distances were feeling too hard I'd just back it off a little but all seems to be good.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
I caught a full blown tonsillitis 13 days ago (came down with it on Tuesday evening).

I started back with low intensity stuff the Monday afterwards, had a fairly easy week last week and ramping it back up now. I'm just following what my body is letting me do, if the paces or distances were feeling too hard I'd just back it off a little but all seems to be good.

but are you taking basil as the spammer above says?? after opening up a 7 year old thread.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: