Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Suunto Ambit 2 S finally giving up? Help!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Suunto Ambit 2 S finally giving up? Help!!! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My trusty Suunto Ambit 2 S (about 5 or 6 years old) is showing signs of giving up on me. The battery drains very quickly, the upload and sync software (movescount) has spontaneously uninstalled from all of my computers and my antivirals etc refuse to let me reinstall the software, hence the watch GPS satellite data is very old and it takes ages to pick up satellites. Is it time to upgrade?

The only problem is, that it runs ANT+. The same as my power meter (which also is a bit old). I don't know if the new GPS watches even do ANT+ anymore. Since I don't really want to buy another power meter as well I am keen to stick with this.

So my question is three fold. 1) has anyone had a similar experience and how did they solve it? 2) has anyone simply bought a new Ambit 2 S (because there is nothign wrong with the watch itself)? 3) if someone has upgraded to a different watch, which one?

Cheers

www.mikajanhunen.blogspot.com
@ESFChiropractic (twitter)
@mika_janhunen_dc (Instagram)
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Suunto Ambit 2 S finally giving up? Help!!! Reply with quote

hunkydory wrote:
Hi guys,

My trusty Suunto Ambit 2 S (about 5 or 6 years old) is showing signs of giving up on me. The battery drains very quickly, the upload and sync software (movescount) has spontaneously uninstalled from all of my computers and my antivirals etc refuse to let me reinstall the software, hence the watch GPS satellite data is very old and it takes ages to pick up satellites. Is it time to upgrade?

The only problem is, that it runs ANT+. The same as my power meter (which also is a bit old). I don't know if the new GPS watches even do ANT+ anymore. Since I don't really want to buy another power meter as well I am keen to stick with this.

So my question is three fold. 1) has anyone had a similar experience and how did they solve it? 2) has anyone simply bought a new Ambit 2 S (because there is nothign wrong with the watch itself)? 3) if someone has upgraded to a different watch, which one?

Cheers

In terms of replacement I think you'll have to look at Garmin for Ant+, later Suunto's are Bluetooth only IIRC (pretty sure my Ambit 3 is anyway)
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given my experience of the Ambit 2, you're better off without it.

Its a POS compared to the Garmin models.
the5krunner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Suunto Ambit 2 S finally giving up? Help!!! Reply with quote

hunkydory wrote:
Hi guys,

Cheers

If you like the Ambit and find a deal then go for it.

If you want an ANT+ tri watch you are probably limited to the garmin 920xt and 935 (Fenix 5) - the former is often over-priced and the later is expensive.

Be wary of the Fenix 5 and 5S as they have connectivity issues.

There may be some more ANT+ options that surface over the next few months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: