Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Enduroman @ Avon Tyrrell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiesim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll be there doing something, nothing any longer than a single due to crappy start to the year with minimal training. Time will tell. Looking forward to it none the less!
blindcider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:
In the process of sorting out accommodation for me and my tribe.

Actual entry will have to wait another month

Accommodation now sorted, this is becoming real Shocked

How far is a double again?
Davem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a standard one, or an enduroman one??

Razz
blindcider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:

Razz

I'm counting it in laps so it doesn't sound as far.

Wait, how many laps is the run? Embarassed
Davem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:
Davem wrote:

Razz

I'm counting it in laps so it doesn't sound as far.

Wait, how many laps is the run? Embarassed

for the double - just 48... Laughing
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god, that run course is brutal.

I loved most of the event but had some majorly low points such that I have never experienced before.

I wasn't last out of the swim. which surprised me massively

I got knocked off the bike by a deer (fortunately onto the grass), really struggled with shoulder pain on the bike, which eased once I switched to the roadie in the dark. TT bike is clearly optimised for speed not comfort and on that course having to get in and out of the tuck clearly took its toll.

Could not function in the heat on Sunday for about 6 hours - Went from a 10 hour-ish first marathon to smashing out a 7hr second marathon after the sun had gone in.

Tripped head over heels at least 3 times in the dark on the run course.

Got in before Midnight Sunday which was my personal target for 6th place out of 6 but well chuffed. Might write a more lengthy race report later.

Organisation was second to none. Loved the low key nature of everything and everyone there was absolutely amazing. Will be back but don't know what for yet
salad_dodger

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done blindcider. A top 10 finish is a top 10 finish. Just keep quiet about how many people took part! Great effort.

What's next?
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey BlindCider, your not just an EnduroMan, your a Triple EnduroMan. Absolute fair play m8, congratulations Cool . And Spread The Word.

I can't believe I forgot how incredibly hard a Triple is. Way harder than 1.5x a Double. My near-miss (at speed Embarassed ) with a deer was by the humpback bridge at Crow i.e. they can literally get you anywhere! Mind I did manage to fall off all on my own Mad on the tight turn back into AT after it showered. Doing 27 more laps with a mashed foream whilst resting on the TT bars was fun Laughing

sorry you didnt make the start line DaveM Sad would've been great to see you again at AT
94IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=153IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
blindcider

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction TC - Double, not triple.

You guys were in a different class
T2T

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Didn't see it on the website Reply with quote

I was looking for this, but never saw any details of any triathlons on the www.enduroman.com website. Now I just entered www.enduroman.co.uk after seeing that something was taking place in 2018 and got redirected to a website where the details are.....

What's all that about?

Sep Velo South
Oct Challenge Pegeura
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://legendendurance-events.co.uk/

Just split off into 2 companies as EnduroMan at Avon Tyrrell now run by Ette junior Chris. Eddie still does the timing, it's all basically the same Thumbs Up
94IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=153IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
T2T

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Thanks TC Reply with quote

Thanks TC.

Saw your testimonial on the website and have registered my interest for the double next year.

We are off to Avon Tyrell at some point over the summer so will check it out..

Sep Velo South
Oct Challenge Pegeura
Toyota_Crown

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double-tastic! Cool
94IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=153IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My continuous double Race report - Some may have already seen this on facebook through the Enduroman group:

It’s dark and rapidly approaching midnight on Sunday April 13th. Sensible people are in bed and here I am with a nice lady in boots completely unsuitable for what she is doing. There are very few people left about and we are running the last lap of the continuous double Enduroman event. Ellen has joined me for the last lap ran in reverse and I am determined to finish before the completely arbitrary time of Midnight…

Start Again, you are doing what? Why?

The Continuous Double Enduroman, a double Ironman event of 4.8 miles swimming, 232 miles on the bike and 52 miles running to finish. As to why, that question is impossible to answer: “It was there” is probably the best explanation. It was initially the treble that appealed before a vague sense of sanity and self preservation had the casting vote. After all I’d done an Ironman in 2015, What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

The Swim

I enjoy swimming but I am utterly appalling technically and a thrasher rather than the smooth marine mammals that populate the front of these races. One of the things causing me concern before the race was getting through the 26 laps of the 7.6km was the water temperature. A trip to Mad Mikes muddy puddle a few weeks before had resulted in nearly passing out from the cold and a pervading dizziness (which turned out to be an inner ear infection). The Wednesday before the event I managed a 3.5km swim in there though which gave me some confidence.

The lake for the swim turned out to be reasonably warm and in places was shallow enough that I was scraping my fingers on the floor. Whether I would still be warm enough in 3-4 hours might be a different story…

So the 6 of us in the race plus the swimmers from other events were lined up on the start and at 9am we get the old 10-1 countdown and we started swimming. It always takes me 10-15 minutes to mentally calm down and feel less frantic in the swim and this was no different. I was determined to swim my own race, the only thing that mattered was the cut-off time. As people were passing me I was hitching a draft on their feet for as long as possible but was just concerned with one stroke at a time.

After Lap 2 we had to swim through a counting station every lap and shout out our race number to the counters. This was probably the worst time as even after 26 laps I couldn’t get the hang of shouting out my number and not swallowing half the lake and it completely destroyed any momentum that I had. I had planned to stop after 9 or 10 laps and then between 18-20 to have a drink that wasn’t brown and an energy gel. This went out the window as I had lost count by 6 laps anyway. I could concentrate on not forgetting my race number or the lap count but not both.

Sometime between my first and second stops my right shoulder started to tighten up. It does most of the work when I am swimming and I tried different things to alleviate this including opening my fingers to reduce the ‘hold’ on the water but nothing was really working. It was just a matter of cracking on. I began to lose my marbles a bit and soon decided to ask the counters my lap count “20”, oh cool, only 6 left! Time for break 2.

Other swimmers were starting to exit the lake, but as I expected to be dead last that didn’t phase me anyway. The last 6 laps seemed to take forever but eventually the 6 laps were done I climbed out and got my timing chip beeped. I pulled off the wetsuit and jumped in the showers by the lake. This was going to be a very long event so taking a minute or two to wash off the duck crap and mirk from the swim wasn’t going to hurt.

It turns out that I was 4th out of 6 coming out of the swim finishing it in 3hrs and 4 minutes. Time to crack on…

The Bike

My strategy for transition was get changed and get a lap in before stopping for some food, let my body adjust to the notion that it wasn’t swimming anymore. Chew a few trapped wind tablets and loosen the legs up.

So I jumped on the TT bike still wearing my wet tri-suit and headed out on Lap 1. Each lap was 11.6 miles and was quite hilly. The lap starts with a nice fast straight downhill. You have to be careful to avoid the new forest ponies and cattle and the idiots on 4 wheels who don’t give anyone any room.

The route then goes through the village of Burley, which seems to be inhabited by a mixture of docile horses and retarded tourists. There are a few short grind climbs here and on to the next bit of open land. Again, this is a nice long stretch culminating in a long flowing fast descent. The lap then turns again on a long grind section with plenty of false flats before turning up Bragger Hill which is not a steep climb but it does seem to go on for a long time. I ease the gears up on these sections. Back into race HQ and time for lunch.

Laps 2-4 proceed fairly uneventfully before my next break. I am eating plenty but I am aware I am probably not drinking enough on the bike. I try to remind myself to drink. The straw on my bottle is poking in my face when I am in the aero tuck which is bothering me and reminding me that I had planned to trim it shorter but forgotten.

Laps 5-7 are marked by my shoulders tightening up and becoming agony. I am struggling to turn my head left or right on the bike and this is becoming dangerous. I have some food and visit the race medic for the first time. He informs me I have a knot the size of his fist in my scapula and does some extreme wrestling moves on me which loosens everything up a bit.

Now is a race to finish the first half of the bike before dark. I want to get as many laps in as possible on the TT bike as I have my road bike for the night section for safety and its easier to mount lights on the road frame than the aero tubes of the TT bike. I get through to lap 10 as the HQ asks us to light up. Time for another break. 8 hours or so for the first half is slower than I had expected but still on track to beat the cut-offs.

Warm clothes on and onto the road bike. The road bike is far more comfortable and although I can feel my shoulders it is much easier now whether on the clip on aero bars or on the hoods. I keep pushing on ticking off the laps as darkness falls. The lights I have bothered are really good, even on the lowest settings and I have no visibility concerns.

I chat with Andrew for about quarter of a lap on lap 12. He is stopping for a longer break every 5 laps rather than my shortish break every 3 laps. I am definitely one of the faster cyclists when I am actually on the bike cycling rather than griping and eating and soon leave him behind. I have another stop at lap 13 and heat up some macaroni cheese and just sit in silence in the house chomping away.

Lap 14 is a struggle, my shoulder is hurting and it feels like a long way still left now. I knew there were going to be low points mentally and this is the first major downer. Earthquake Dan comes to my rescue and suggests I have 45 minutes rest. I agree to 15 and have a lie down. I don’t sleep but it does make me tired and after lap 15 I decide to have a longer rest of 45 minutes. Dan changes my bike lights for me and feeling a bit reinvigorated I crack on through the final laps.

On my way in on Lap 18, just as its getting light on my way into HQ a deer jumps over the fence and then over the front of my bike. I can’t honestly say if the deer made contact with either me or the bike but the upshot is that I ended on the grass off my bike. It says a lot for my brain state that I am not sure if I was happy or disappointed to not be hurt and for my bike to be fine.

Back into transition for my final break and onto the last two bike laps. I start lap 18 at the same time as Ryan and although he gets into an early lead over me, I pass him into Burley and then he disappears. The fog has descended as dawn arrives and the temperature has dropped severely.

The bike is finally over in 18 hours and 28 minutes. I am in 5th place but have the slowest bike time. The important thing is that I have extended my gap over the cut-offs by another hour. This has been my longest ever ride and I have learnt a lot on this ride. I struggled a lot on what has traditionally been my strongest sport

The Run

Again, I rush through Transition and get a lap of the run course in whilst still mostly in bike kit. I walk most of this lap but I want to loosen up and feel like I am making progress. Breakfast follows before putting on full run kit and properly starting the epic march – 48 laps of 1.1 mile.

The course is very difficult, a lot of uphill that nearly everyone is walking and very rough underfoot. There is also a lot of exposed roots and stones to catch an unwary foot. I am ticking off laps fairly consistently but slowly until the sun come out. After about 10 laps I can feel some hotspots on my left foot so I get the medic to strap it up. After about 15 I stop for lunch. My feet are really hurting and I get the medic to wrestle my shoulders and hips into some sort of shape.

After about 18 laps I am struggling massively with the heat and soreness in my feet and also mentally due to the fact that lots of people are finishing other events. I don’t begrudge them their finish but I am still hours away from finishing. I don’t react very well and pull my visor down over my face and stomp around for a few laps ignoring absolutely everyone. Apologies to anyone who tried to talk to me at this time, I was in a dark spot and withdrew into myself massively.

Dan stopped me on lap 21 and probably saved my race for the second time. He got me to take a proper rest again and realise that I needed to take stock and sort my #@?# out. I got some painkillers from the medic and went for a lie down. Dan had told my lovely wife that I could only have an hour or at my current pace I would struggle to make the cut-off. She agreed to wake me up and between her and my son they had decided that they would not let me quit no matter what.

I don’t know how long I was there for but something changed mentally. I was going to finish this! First order of the day was to finish the first marathon, another 3 laps. I got up changed my shirt and went out to the course. I started running more of each lap and the final 3 laps of the first marathon were probably my 3 quickest so far.

Lap after lap was ticking off. another visit to the medic was needed for strapping on the other foot. I felt good, I was flying. I was stopping at the end of each lap for some water and some electrolyte and food and then immediately going again. I was running all of the downhill section. I was setting myself little targets knocking them off and moving on.

Get to 12,11,10 laps left before dark. Lap 38 is difficult to see in places and I need a head torch on lap 39. The pace slows a bit due to the difficulty to see and I fall over a couple of times, one time being a small margin from ending up in the pond which would have been just typical given all that had gone before.

The next few laps are a blur of darkness and finishing each lap to have sweets and coke supplied by Ellen who is also keeping me on it with a lap countdown. One highlight at this point is the two of us sat on the floor drinking coffee and eating pretty disgusting cold spag bol.

With about 4 laps to go I allow myself to relax a bit. I have 5 hours before the ultimate cut-off. This is in the bag! I had randomly set myself the target of finishing on Sunday before the race and this was just about achievable. I run the next 3 laps hard and that leaves the final lap.

At Enduroman events the last lap is traditionally run in reverse to allow runners to acknowledge the achievement of their competitors. I have had to endure the sight of people on their last laps for 12 hours and now it was my turn. Okay so there were only 3 others still out there in other events including Graeme in the Triple but I was still going to enjoy this. Ellen decided to join me on this last lap and we ran together. Going way too fast in the woods I ended up going arse over tit again so we walked a bit. Its bloody difficult following the course in reverse in the dark.

At last the moment came and I ran back into the transition area crossing the finish line in 38:52:53. I may have come 6th out of 6th but this meant that at least everyone in my race completed this massively tough event. They were all really nice guys and I was happy to see them all finish too.

I finally get back to the room and Vicky wakes up saying “have you finished?” and “I didn’t think you’d finish until 2am” continuing her tradition of never seeing me finish a race

Afterword

I could not have finished this race without the support and advice of Earthquake Dan, Ellen and the Medics. These guys patched me up physically and picked me up mentally and kept me going when I was low. You guys to me are heroes.

The support of my family was also invaluable to keeping me fed and not faffing about too much.

Congrats to Nathan who must have been on Lap 3 of the bike before I’d pee’d in my wetsuit and destroyed the field in the double.

At the awards ceremony the day afterwards I was amazingly surprised to get a trophy, wow!

I have learnt loads about myself during this event and pushed myself much further than I even thought possible. I have made some really good friends and joined a new family. I will definitely be back next year but for which event? who knows…

For now, I need to find another challenge…
T2T

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Great race report Reply with quote

Ouch, you are not exactly selling it.

Just kidding, well done, amazing achievement.

Sep Velo South
Oct Challenge Pegeura
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: