Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Return to tri after supraspinatus repair / impingement op

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy916

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Return to tri after supraspinatus repair / impingement op Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I had what I gather is quite a common shoulder op, so I wondered if others here have had similar. It was a keyhole repair of supraspinatus ('extensive' 2cm tear) and decompression / distal clavicular excision to relieve impingement.

The original injury was somewhat surprising - a 5-hour recce ride for Tri-X half involving 25-30% gradients over Hardknott, Wrynose and other passes. There was nothing obvious at the time, but an ache/pain at night. I did more recce's that week, fellruns over Helvellyn and Fairfield, Helvellyn bike leg and a small amount of swimming. That was July, in the run-up to Wensleydale, Helvellyn then Tri-X half in Aug/Sept, which I completed and got my usual age-group results. I guess I was gradually aggravating what seemed like a bit of a niggle at the time, as Oct-Feb was a period of constant aches and failure to respond to physio.

The constant ache disappeared with surgery, which is consistent with the bone-shaving to relieve impingement (there are other pains, but I was mostly off the paracetemol/diclofenac within a week). There's a lot of work ahead to regain stength but after 9 then 17 days (today) the physio is well-pleased with progress - I'm now onto rotations/abduction with light resistance, wall press-ups, arm-raises and have much of my range of movement back.

Whilst I've made no particular plans for competition this year, I'd like to get back to tri when I can. Right now the physio advises cross-trainer rather than running and upright bike rather than racer (I had a 2-day achey setback earlier this week following a 1.5hr ride on the race bike). I'm guessing it'll be a while before I'm swimming again.

Although everyone's recovery will be different, does anyone have a comparison or advice to offer? FWIW I'm 53 with an 8-yr history of full and middle distance tri, am lean with a careful nutrient-dense diet.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your physio has you working on the right path. Don't let up on doing this and keep the progression going. People often stop the rehab when they feel OK most of the time but then don't always get back to 100% of what they had.
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through a repair & decompression on my right shoulder mid August 2016, when I was 53, following a decompression but no repair (it was OK when they went in to repair????) on the left shoulder mid August 2015. Was back swimming at the start of October, both years, but took me till December to get back up towards normal speed, but a full 12 months to get proper race speed back. Although I was only 20 seconds off a PB 1500m time at the start of March 2016. (long course Welsh Masters). So just 6 months after the first op & whilst I was still waiting for the second.

Left shoulder still aches now. Crying or Very sad Right shoulder still weak lifting overhead.

Y Fenni Tri Club Abergavenny.
Andy916

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Four weeks from surgery now and I just saw the physio for the 3rd time (private op through my work insurance includes the physio followup). Good rate of improvement (I'm told), although arm abduction/external rotation and arm raises still weak and painful. Isolating the movement without the trapezius kicking in to compensate seems key, so will keep on at the exercises.

Have now got the go-ahead to run and bike according to feel. Sooo unfit after a few weeks mostly sedentary. Did my normally-routine 7.5M trail run to work a few days ago (after a couple of shorter work-up runs) and found the last third and day afterwards really tough. Am doubtful now of my plan to race a 10k in a fortnight's time (local club champs thing; might do it just as a test, with relaxed expectations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: