Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Getting old, very old!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Mike wrote:
57 this year and struggling to find any leg speed! Have a corporate 5km road run in a few weeks and doing some speed work but still a challenge to get under 5 mins/km when 5 minute miles used to be easy Confused Itís still worth the effort when you beat the youngsters in the office and they canít believe the old guy in finance out ran them Very Happy

Truth. I had a workplace 'smackdown' at at a 10km and the other guy was 9 years younger than me and ran a 46.30 and I rand a 42.33.

I told him I couldn't lose because he either 'beats the old guy, big deal'. or he suffers from the 'you couldn't even beat the old guy' Very Happy
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work. I found out I was the oldest in the office while processing some paperwork of the guy whom I thought was older but who turned out to be 10 years younger (I havent told him he looks knackered).

I had to remind the young ones who try and keep up with me that I'm nearly 30 years older than they are and they should be ashamed at how unfit they are Very Happy
Jan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
At work. I found out I was the oldest in the office while processing some paperwork of the guy whom I thought was older but who turned out to be 10 years younger (I havent told him he looks knackered).

I had to remind the young ones who try and keep up with me that I'm nearly 30 years older than they are and they should be ashamed at how unfit they are Very Happy

It amuses me when the "younger" ones always want to know your times for races e.g. 10k and you have to end by saying "but when I was your age 25 years ago I was 15 minutes faster and I'm not going to do that time now". Smile
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan wrote:
GrahamO wrote:

It amuses me when the "younger" ones always want to know your times for races e.g. 10k and you have to end by saying "but when I was your age 25 years ago I was 15 minutes faster and I'm not going to do that time now". Smile

I don't think they have the attention span for a sentence that long. Wink
Mad Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I end up saying is that the big test will be if they can run as fast as I can now in 30 years time when they are my age. They just shrug their shoulders and go back to their smart phones
nannysooz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...68 in August. Still swimming, zwifting and running, Hope to get outside soon on the bike. I've been through 3 years of chronic fatigue and a PTSD thingy but never stopped believing and trying to gain back some form. I can only run at 10.30 pace and swim 100m in 2.20, but even though it's all slow training, I'm loving this time of my life.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Gus wrote:
And I've gone very grey in the last few years.

No, you are becoming more distinguished and becoming more respectable.

That's very kind of you Very Happy

Profoundly untrue, of course.

My 15 minutes of fame
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Well I had a kid at 49. Probably one of the few people that qualifies for SAGA, heating allowance and childcare rebate all at the same time. Very Happy

I had one at 47.

I've had my eye on one of those really smart 'retirement' flats they sell, and you're eligible at 55... but my wife keeps saying they won't let us have one if we have children...

How many 50+yr olds now have young children? Probably an awful lot!

Times have changed Smile

My 15 minutes of fame
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought our retirement flat a couple of years ago although my wife regularly reminds me that its really only big enough for her as I would get underfoot, so she wants somewhere bigger .

There's also probably not enough room for my cycling drying to ever get out of the kitchen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: