Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running out to and around the marina at Arricefe last year was really good in my opinion and would be the preferable option rather than the 3 congested loops in the past few years.

However, I'm not competing this year!

Andy G
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
iwaters wrote:
All else being equal best bike split puts the new course 15 mins faster (although my GPX file is not 100% accurate).

Out of interest, what base time is the 15 minute saving based on?

7:03 for old, 6:47 for new. That is based on me weighing 100kg, IF 66% off 314 FTP.

Whisk wrote:
What are people's thoughts about it reverting to a 3 lap run course?

I think the 3 lap version is better for support as it gives your family and friends more opportunities to see you, but it can get quite congested at the finish end of the course. Apart from the aid stations, there aren't really any dividers between runners going in different directions, so when there are lots of people on the course it can get quite chaotic.

I do quite like the idea of doing a big lap first though, because psychologically it's good to know that you've done half of the run when you get to the end of the first lap.

I said to my wife who is coming with the kids that I thought the run course was better for them as they will see me diying, sorry passing, more often. Not sure if the 20, the 2x10 would be better to break to it down, or like you say complete a lap then just 10k to go!
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the 3 lap course is better for your wife & children

noticed last year it was a lot quieter on the main strip in Carmen during the 2 run legs long gaps between athletes ( better for the runners) with the 3 laps should be a constant flow of athletes
will turbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to see if itís quicker, it doesnít bother me what course we race, just got to get on with it, but Iíd prefer the old one, as it broke me in 2014 I just never thought it could be that brutal that nasty wind 😂😂 and I want to take it on one last time
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the new course - there's nothing that we can do about it, so I'm just cracking on with it.

It would have been nice to have another crack at the old course to compare my timings 2015. But, in some ways, it's a good thing. If the bike is slower than 2015, then obviously the course change is to blame....

Training going ok so far - starting to do some good long rides, and some brick sessions.

Almost down to race weight too - from 79kg down to 68.9kg so far. Want to get to 67kg for the day.

Anyone want to do a taxi/bus share from PDC to La Santa to register?

Hope everyone is training well, and injury free....
snowie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not many pro's in this years race, is there a reason?

but there are lots of brits so hopefully be a good atmosphere.
Simon G.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy G wrote:
Running out to and around the marina at Arricefe last year was really good in my opinion and would be the preferable option rather than the 3 congested loops in the past few years.

However, I'm not competing this year!

Andy G

Yes, I really liked the long run to Arrecife - with just the one 10k leg to do after completing it. I also ran in 2015 on the 3 lap course but preferred last year's 2 lap one. Will be interested to hear what the new bike course is like after the event. Good luck everyone!
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:
I'm looking forward to the new course - there's nothing that we can do about it, so I'm just cracking on with it.

It would have been nice to have another crack at the old course to compare my timings 2015. But, in some ways, it's a good thing. If the bike is slower than 2015, then obviously the course change is to blame....

Training going ok so far - starting to do some good long rides, and some brick sessions.

Almost down to race weight too - from 79kg down to 68.9kg so far. Want to get to 67kg for the day.

Anyone want to do a taxi/bus share from PDC to La Santa to register?

Hope everyone is training well, and injury free....

Yeah I think the new course is fine. Some people on Facebook screaming that's its been ruined!

I've lost a little weight, can already see the difference. Ran 26km on Friday felt good, Saturday I cycled for 5 hours then short brick after all feels good. Got my pacing and nutrition all "dialed in" as they say on ST.

I am on the final week of a 3 week build block, got anther "Big Day" on Sunday. Then its recovery week, then a two week peak and then taper!! Very close now.
Foggyone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just read some of the comments on the Facebook page, people claiming the race has been ruined and they would rather race elsewhere.

The way I see it is, they have replaced the motorway bit with up the donkey track, the el Golfo loop is still in, and Fire mountain. We miss out the trip to La Santa and replace with False Firemountain. We also miss out the Famara bit but do head down there on the out and back. From the Teguise roundabout its all the same up Los Valles, Haria, Del Rio and down passing Arrecife, then they have replaced the bad bit of road at Nazaret ( which is no bad thing in my mind) with a better bit of road.

So overall the course is about 80% the same, with a couple of plus points and maybe missing a couple of old favorite bits, so in my mind, no big deal. It will still be a long windy ride.
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the bits that are missing are all, well I can hardly remember them. they were certainly not bits I would miss. All the Iconic parts are correct and present.

I think the big loss is the single loop feel of the old course this is all a bit higgledy piggledy. But really it's not the end of the world.

And remember this is a forced change. No one wanted it not least the organisers. I say well done for managing to keep something decent on offer where as it could have gone the way of the HIM.

It's a shame but whining on Facebook won't make the Spanish authorities back down!
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Yeah the bits that are missing are all, well I can hardly remember them. they were certainly not bits I would miss. All the Iconic parts are correct and present.

I think the big loss is the single loop feel of the old course this is all a bit higgledy piggledy. But really it's not the end of the world.

And remember this is a forced change. No one wanted it not least the organisers. I say well done for managing to keep something decent on offer where as it could have gone the way of the HIM.

It's a shame but whining on Facebook won't make the Spanish authorities back down!

Exactly. Is anyone really disappointed that Nazaret is gone? Plus its not be confirmed but right from the start the rumor was that the change was needed because the road had to be closed in both directions.

If that is indeed the case the a total closed course sounds perfect.
Foggyone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are at it.
What about the speed bumps at La Santa and Soo, Im not going to miss riding over or trying to avoid those!
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
SGreg wrote:

Exactly. Is anyone really disappointed that Nazaret is gone? Plus its not be confirmed but right from the start the rumor was that the change was needed because the road had to be closed in both directions.

If that is indeed the case the a total closed course sounds perfect.

I entered long before any talk of course changes and TBH I'd still have entered if they'd published this course at the start.

I think the only thing we've really lost is the "lap of the island" feel that the old course had. We're going to be pretty familiar with that road down the middle of the island by the time we've ridden it both ways and I never like an "out-and-back" with a dead turn, particularly when the turn is at the bottom of a hill Rolling Eyes .

It's still a pretty epic course with all the key ingredients from the classic course. The route out up the donkey track makes for a tougher start than before, but you get the nice sweeping descent to Uga. We've lost the fast descent into La Santa (including the speed bumps Wink ), but I really enjoy the new road across the lava fields. The new climb to Teseguite should be better than the old route down the LZ1 with all the traffic coming past. I never really minded the Nazaret road, but I've ridden the Roubaix cobbles plenty of times Twisted Evil

Compared with what they did to the 70.3 course, with very little notice, I think they've done a good job of complying with the new regulations while keeping the best bits of the course. If the rules state that the road should be closed in both directions then keeping the old course would have locked down large parts of the island for most of the day so that ~1800 people could ride their bikes. Places like Playa Blanca and CLS would have been cut-off from the airport for at least half the day.

I remember doing my first couple of Lanza's with most of the roads fully open, getting passed by tour buses and hire cars on the way through Timanfaya Shocked
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor blimey this last block of training is tough. Went to bed a 8:50 last night, was asleep instantly.

Got my 2nd Friel "Big Day" this Sunday, looking forward to that. Lake should be warm enough for the swim. Not quite PDC sea swim but better than the pool.

Feeling good though, fitness is there. Lot of fatigue but that will fade with taper, plus on recovery week next week. Got a follow up bike fit for Monday to make sure everything is perfect. 37 days to go!
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preparation has hit a bit of a snag. I got knocked off my bike by a mini cab 11 days ago and everything is still not quite right. I'm feeling super strong on the bike and swimming is fine, but running is a problem.

I've done some short runs since the accident, but nothing more than an hour. The pace has seemed OK and I wouldn't necessarily say that I experience pain, but it feels "uncomfortable". My last attempted run was Tuesday, so 9 days after the accident. I've decided to avoid running for at least a week to see if things mend themselves. There's no chance of getting an appointment with a decent physio in London the week before the marathon, but if things are not improved by this time next week I'll go and see someone.

It's all a bit frustrating, because for the first time in years I've felt like I was running well and was really on top of my running volume. Where as in recent years I've just aimed to survive the IM run, I was beginning to think that I might be on for a decent time Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: