Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 382, 383, 384 ... 389, 390, 391  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a confidence runner, and therefore tend to stray away from anything that could damage that confidence too close to the race. So i'd probably just go out for an hour or so bimble, just to make sure the legs were moving and to stress myself out at every perceived niggle! Very Happy

Not long to go now!
Doca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 miles for me with 6 at mara pace, following the McMillan plan. No previous experience from me but is seems this kind or similar run is the consensus.
twhat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking it really easy in taper this year. I'm away in the alps this week and snowboarding every day so thats enough stress on the legs already. I'm also a bit under the weather... always seems to happen in the taper to me... cough and a cold but i think i'm over the worst of it so should be fine in ten days time. I'm planning 8 miles on sunday (cold permitting), 4 at marathon pace. I'll probably do 2 x 4 miles next week too but probably no more. I'm just hoping for a cloudy day !!
YKK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, running a marathon!

But in the normal world I would run
A park run on Saturday at full beans.
8 miles slightly above steady but below marathon effort on Sunday. From that run, I then can gauge pretty good what kind of shape I am in. But I have been doing this sh!t for years now...
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned on doing a local 11 mile fell race, heart still says yes but head says no in case it inflames the knee. Supposed to be doing 90 minutes. I usually do it on a Friday to give me a bit more recovery time but I'm supposed to be going out tomorrow night but hoping for a bike ride before I go.

I'll probably have another ride over the weekend, or might do a few miles at MP.

Probably just do a couple of short runs next week or easy bike rides.

Jeff
Tupperware

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
Ummm, running a marathon!

But in the normal world I would run
A park run on Saturday at full beans.
8 miles slightly above steady but below marathon effort on Sunday. From that run, I then can gauge pretty good what kind of shape I am in. But I have been doing this sh!t for years now...

Ok, a marathon is definitely an unusual taper run! 😆

I used to enjoy a full-beans parkrun the week before, but tweaked my hamstring a few years ago and have avoided it since. An option though.

I do a traditional 7 with 2 at MP on the Wednesday which gives me a good idea of how overly optimistic MP is 😉.

Anybody know if the DLR strike is still on?
Grifter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done 2 easy runs and one progressive run this week so far. The prog run finished with 6k at MP. Tomorrow I will ride long and steady. Sunday I will hopefully do 16k with 12k at MP.

Next week will be done by feel. Probably 2-3 easy runs at the most. I'll still swim and bike as usual.

Drinking plenty of water, staying away from snotty kids and trying to get some good sleep.
Tupperware

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13M with 2x3M @ roughly MP done.....was quite hot with the mystical yellow disc in the sky Surprised ... makes a nice change!

Long ride tomorrow, then I'll follow Grifter in trying to avoid snotty kids and get some more sleep to hopefully restore some pep in the legs.
TriSam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a bit last minute, but anyone in for Brighton tomorrow? If so, let us know how you get on!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying my best to cross reference TT and Strava, but i think YKK ran a very solid 2.55 yesterday, setting up nicely for the double sub 3!

Looks like it's going to be weirdly toasty next week. Who would've predicted that?!
sb20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did Brighton. As expected did not get sub 3 as I simply had not done enough training. I always struggle with nutrition which I feared would be an issue, but thought I would try and get a gel in a tad earlier (after 1/2 hour) to see if that would help.

That said I thought I should pace for sub 3 and then maintain the the perceived effort from there with a hope of getting 3:0x.

Anyway I set off at 4:12 on my watch pace and it was all a rather calm 20:50 5k (mostly down hill), 40:50 10k and 1:29:30 HM. I managed three gels.

But as I went through the half that third gel bubbled up and down and that was the last thing to pass my lips for the remainder of the race.

Pace started to drift with HR still being around 155, and i settled in to delver below 3:10.

I started to bonk at about 15 miles with numb hands, legs and feet and not perfect vision, so backed off just a tad and maintained a pace to finish in just under 3:10.

So I live to fight another day.

The GI issues meant I could not eat not much for the remainder of yesterday and still feel very sick today. Imodium is my friend!

As an aside I was asked why i was planning on running 4:12 k's. I remembered as I went round another reason why. The GPS reads further on the watches. So you need to pace a tad faster. So my Watch showed 4:28 as my average pace for the 42.6km marathon. My actual pace was nearer 4:30.

According to my wrist HRM - Average Heart rate was 156 - with a max of 168 as I finished.

Great Job YKK : one day i hope for something nearing your time!
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
twhat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good effort sb20.. i know a few seemed to struggle yesterday, a training buddy of my mine smashed a 1.17 something first half but had to withdraw at mile 18... kabooom!!!
I think the gps thing is common, plus you can never run the shortest route so its kind of a given you are going to run a few metres further than 42.2km.

I'm a bit concerned by the weather for London but what can you do? I am a pale skinned northerner and it never works for me when the sun shines. I bought a visor and am even considering wearing a light weight t-shirt or long sleeve compression to keep the sun off me.. any thoughts ?
All things considered it wont be Gold Coast Commonwealth Games hot so i think i'll be ok if i'm conservative, ive trained for a 2h56 race anyway, so i can ease that back a few secs per k and still nick sub 3... 4 x 42.30 10ks and a bit of a change... simplz
YKK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, went quite well for me, if anything slightly to fast.

If you ever get a chance to be an "elite", grab it it is a good experience.

1. Had race pack sent to me so I could catch train down on the day, although it was going to be tight.. Thankfully this was on time and I arrived at the start with 20 minutes to spare.
2. "Elite" change was segregated, someone collected our bags, rather than having to take them anywhere and there was cups of tea and chocolate biscuits available. though I am not sure many of those were eaten 30 minutes out!
3. Got led into the front of the start.
4. Had name on shirt rather than number! Though this seems to have messed up the auto recognition software for the photo store.
5. At the end I a little gap straight after the finish took us to another segregated area, with more tea and biscuits, significantly more of these consumed, and baby wipes! Though everyone seemed to be talking about sub 2:30 running so I was definitely the slowest there.

Anyhow the race...
The conditions seemed ideal for a fast time, but as I had pb'd a 10k on the Wednesday I would have the legs, so stuck with plan A of just inside sub 3.
First 5k was downhill, so decided to bank some seconds. JR was barely at 140 for this, which was amazing.
The it twisted and turned a bit and then out to the first out and back. this was a slow drag uphill, which I kept the effort the same and therefore speed dropped, had to let loads go past me, which was mentally challenging.

The great thing is around 11 miles, you have basically done all the uphill, you between there and the finish you know it is pretty much downhill or flat.
I trundled on, keeping pace with most people now and overtaking a couple. HR still in mid 140s'.

It was around 22 miles I started to feel it in the legs, HR up over 150 now, there was also a slight headwind for the last 4 miles, so sped up to draft off a guy who had been slightly in front of me for the past 10 miles to make it easier for me. We started over taking more and more here.
And then race head finally appeared and I kind of sped up more, dropped my draft, HR up to 160, overtaking loads, almost (but resisted) getting involved in a sprint finish and came in at 2:55.

So job done, it is strange running a big marathon within yourself,it was really enjoyable especially the last 3 miles or so, when normally your are in bits.

After I headed straight into the sea to start the recovery process, but almost got knocked over by a wave, which was almost not funny.

Overall I thought it was a great course, some bits quiet around the out and backs, but very good when back in the centre.

Now recovery for next week (gulp).
sb20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
Yep, went quite well for me, if anything slightly to fast.

HR still in mid 140s'.

It was around 22 miles I started to feel it in the legs, HR up over 150 now, there was also a slight headwind for the last 4 miles, so sped up to draft off a guy who had been slightly in front of me for the past 10 miles to make it easier for me. We started over taking more and more here.
And then race head finally appeared and I kind of sped up more, dropped my draft, HR up to 160, overtaking loads, almost (but resisted) getting involved in a sprint finish and came in at 2:55.

So job done, it is strange running a big marathon within yourself,it was really enjoyable especially the last 3 miles or so, when normally your are in bits.

Now recovery for next week (gulp).

Top runnning! Thanks for the HR numbers. I have concluded that I need to be mid to late 140's till 10k out and then a sub 3 would be on the cards.

I'm sure next week will be spot on for you!
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done YKK, you could have put that sea down as an O\W swim on Strava. Excellent pacing and keeping the HR down.

SB20, still a good effort given your digestive problems, to battle on for that long. It's not nice when you can't face food after but know you need to get something down to help with recovery.

I'm now at the stage where I just want the race over, went to work today and one of the lads has appeared full of cold, went for a massage and the girl was full of cold (she's also running VLM). So I now wonder if I'll get to the start let alone the finish!

Frankly I just want it over so I can go for a run on the moors Smile

Given the GFA changes I had hoped I might scrape 3:14 to get a chance for next year, I now need <3:10 which will be hard work and even then I don't think I'll get in so it might actually help me just go and take it fairly steady and enjoy, which is what I've always wanted to do, but was always seeking a sub 3.

How's everyone else's taper going?

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 382, 383, 384 ... 389, 390, 391  Next
Page 383 of 391

Jump to: