Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
VMLM Good for Age
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
As an aside, I get the impression that achieving the Boston Qualifying time is regarding as the benchmark for a good marathon runner in the US. Actually securing a place and running the race is secondary, but the times are literally put on a pedestal. Maybe that's how the London times should be regarded, as a threshold for bragging rights.

Amateur recreational sport should never be about bragging rights, the GFA stuff is a target for many, for others it's a joke they could do on their normal fitness.

Amateur sport needs to be a supportive environment encouraging people to get what they want out of it, bragging is pretty much the anti-thesis of that.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:
To be fair i don't think VLM give a stuff about what people think. They know they'll be ridiculously oversubscribed every single year.

The only real reason they offer the GFA stuff is to thin the field away from the 4 hour charity runners. They make a LOT more money from the charity stuff than GFA.

With the increase in people GFAing, it was inevitable that they'd put the times up soon. I think people have been expecting it for a couple of years now, but i do agree with the odd timing. Guess it just backs up the point about not really giving a stuff!!

Are the numbers of GFA entrants really increasing? I thought the overall standard of 'good' marathon running was declining as more people move to 'one and done' or different more obscure challenges to get their endorphin fix. Less and less people have the desire to dedicate 5-10 years to try and improve their marathon time when there are so many other 'challenges' available these days.

The only reason I would think GFA age applications are increasing is because more people are aware it exists as a route to a guaranteed entry.

i would guess that whilst the general standard is decreasing, it is possible that the GA are not the one and done and thus more return year on year...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I read last year that the standard of say 100th place has dropped in most major marathons despite winning times getting faster since the boom of the East Africans. Might not correlate to GFA though, think it was talking about a comparative lack of ~2:30 runners.

Average finishing time is of course way way slower now than 30 years ago, because of the rise of the 5hr runner seeing that the sport is for them too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: