Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387, 388, 389  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found it.

First half +1525, -89
Second half +388, -9

YKK, I don't think you were one of the 9 as you were always ahead by a few secs (I think), compounded by the fact that the red start started 15 secs later. Question is, was I catching you? Very Happy
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grifter wrote:
Just found it.

Can you share the link? I can't find it.
YKK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grifter wrote:
Just found it.

First half +1525, -89
Second half +388, -9

YKK, I don't think you were one of the 9 as you were always ahead by a few secs (I think), compounded by the fact that the red start started 15 secs later. Question is, was I catching you? Very Happy

Just watched the race of "FlyBys", you put a lot if time into me on the second half. So that was a definite yes. Given you are faster than me at every distance, I should probably not be so cocky Wink

Last year GFA was almost a minute behind the official time, not sure why they cant get all starts in sync.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
Grifter wrote:
Just found it.

First half +1525, -89
Second half +388, -9

Just watched the race of "FlyBys", you put a lot if time into me on the second half. So that was a definite yes. Given you are faster than me at every distance, I should probably not be so cocky Wink

Last year GFA was almost a minute behind the official time, not sure why they cant get all starts in sync.

You wouldn't have thought it would be hard to all blow the hooter at 10.00 !
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
Grifter wrote:
Just found it.

Can you share the link? I can't find it.

on your results page, below the certificate, click results display. I think they should award medals for highest net numbers passed.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too good a day for me on Sunday, was pretty relaxed before and didn't really know how it would pan out, I expected pain at some point! But on barely 25 MPW and 4 big weeks of 30MPW it was never going to go well. A 30c turnaround in heat since my last race only a few weeks ago probably didn't help either.

Set off around 3:10 pace hoping to get some time in the bank and it felt fairly easy. But after about 2 miles I started feeling my knee twinge, I'd felt this on the last couple of long runs but a combination of massage, ice etc. and running on treadmills and I thought it might have cleared or at least not hurt until later in the race.

I ploughed on and tried to look for the camber in the road to help but it was getting worse, and the heat was starting to get worse, around 8 miles I knew it was getting warm so eased the pace back and it was just going to be a battle to finish from there.

Made it to 14 miles before I had to stop for a stretch, from then on it was a walk, shuffle, stretch and jog to the finish but after deferring last year I was determined to finish. Unfortunately no-one I asked had any ibuprofen and I couldn't be bothered with st John's, TBF they had plenty on their hands with people suffering the heat. I've never seen it so bad, but usually a bit further up the field.

Been quite sore since but is easing with massage of the hammy, glutes etc., and I've got a physio on Monday, who has got very sharp elbows.

Most important thing is to get it better for the tri season, it's only 4 weeks to the slateman, although it was manageable up to 10k.

Also got Chicago later in the year, going off Tony's comments I need to finish that quicker to get to the food Smile

Finish time was 3:53, so a massive PW, done several IM marathons faster.

Jeff
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough day Geoff.....!
Very warm, and any issue at all at such an early point is hard work in any race let alone a marathon.

You finished.
Three guys I know got in and we're all looking at sub 4, one was miles under and two missed out.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How slow was the hot London Marathon? I consulted the results and the weather station to make estimates. Rule of thumb figures for a hot versus a cold day are: 2hrs30 (+4mins) 2hrs45 (+6mins) 3hrs (+11mins) 4hrs (+20mins)

Credit to Pete Dyson: https://t.co/MCye9DSRG8?amp=1
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
YKK wrote:
Grifter wrote:
Just found it.

First half +1525, -89
Second half +388, -9

You wouldn't have thought it would be hard to all blow the hooter at 10.00 !

That would be too much to ask of poor old Queenie Teevee
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a new running shop opened up near me, so thought that I would pop in and see if they could recommend a pair of shoes for me. Potted history is I’ve had pretty bad issues with my feet for the last 10 years or so that has hampered my running. I have ‘clawing’; a pretty awful description of the fact that my toes bend upwards (think Edmond Blackadder!) which then stresses my metatarsals and causes a few other issues.

Anyway, they recommended some Hokas I’ve heard about them but never really considered moving away from the brands I’ve tried before. I have to say they felt completely different to any other running shoe I have tried before and the rocking motion was very noticeable and seemed to be a lot more comfortable for me. Fingers crossed this might be the missing piece of the jigsaw that can get me running again. Not looking at running a marathon anytime soon, but a pain free 5/10k would do me right. Here’s hoping.
Race1+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than start a new thread. I'll just bung the question in here.

Can anyone recommend an extended training plan. Most are only 16-22 weeks at absolute most. I'm thinking 6months, possibly even 9months. Since I want to knock a sizeable chunk off my previous marathon PB. (4h20, though I'm probably 15-20mins faster than that now) I'd like to be a 3h10 or less this time next year (injuries permitting of course)

During this time, I will not be Swimming or Biking. (well aside from for pleasure every now and then)

No limitations on training days btw, double days might be better towards the end though! Very Happy
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than looking for a 9 month marathon plan, why not start with a half plan and target a half in 3 months at your target pace, then move on to a marathon plan. Or even start with a 10K plan. You are going to need to run 2min/ml faster, so make sure you have the pace in your legs before going long.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Rather than looking for a 9 month marathon plan, why not start with a half plan and target a half in 3 months at your target pace, then move on to a marathon plan. Or even start with a 10K plan. You are going to need to run 2min/ml faster, so make sure you have the pace in your legs before going long.

Yeah, this, too long a goal, you need to adjust your life to get the regular exercise up, and then if you have the basics to run a 3:10, it should be possible.

I'd also not give up riding, with loads of time, running 5-8 hours a week is probably all you want, but then there's plenty of time to get the aerobic gains from another dozen hours of cycling. That is of course assuming 3:10 from 4:00 is reasonable, if you're actual realistic potential is only 3:50, then spending extra time cycling possibly isn't worth it, even 6 months before.
Race1+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I should just point out that for my 4h20 marathon, (in 2014) I had no idea what I was doing training wise! 3 long runs peaking at 30K each. 2 other runs in the week (a 5k "fast") and a 10K hilly loop Very Happy

On the day, got to 35K in around 3h30. Then blew up at 38-39k ish K or so then walk/ran the rest Shocked

Have since done IM so hopefully a bit more ability in the legs, even if my IM runs have been shocking! Laughing

I really like the idea of a shorter target first. I guess I should be looking at 1h20-1h30 half plans? My half PB (set even longer ago) is 1h46 so it seems more feasible
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race1+ wrote:

I really like the idea of a shorter target first. I guess I should be looking at 1h20-1h30 half plans? My half PB (set even longer ago) is 1h46 so it seems more feasible

I'd hazard caution picking a plan on an aspirational time if you're currently quite a long way away from that aspirational target. More than likely the target paces will be too quick, so either you get injured, burnt out or disheartened. Much better to choose a plan based on a race time reflective of your current fitness/running ability.

Worst case is that you do indeed have a 3:10 in you (and so should be able to do < 90min half) and start finding the training load easy and so in that situation you can revise your target paces upwards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387, 388, 389  Next
Page 386 of 389

Jump to: