Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Staffs 70.3 and Worlds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zedzded

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Staffs 70.3 and Worlds Reply with quote

I've got a mate travelling from Australia to the UK to do the Staffordshire 70.3. He wants to qualify for the worlds in South Africa. Does anyone know how popular it's going to be in England. I qualified in Australia, but everyone took their spots, not many rolldowns. Also any info on the race I can pass on would be good, I'm guessing it's a tough ride judging by the slow times? Is the run flat?
chickenboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the roll down went a long way last year for chatanooga, at least they did in 45-49 AG
not the fastest of bike courses but the new run course will be pancake flat.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/4b49fb94d7e942fb84322c32615f33fe/slots%20%20%20staffs.pdf

That's last year's slot allocation. Quite surprising actually, given it appears there were 35 slots so they didnt even all get taken??

Not a single M30-34 took a slot?? Almost every male category has rolled down substantially, whereas the women all took theres? Weird.
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/4b49fb94d7e942fb84322c32615f33fe/slots%20%20%20staffs.pdf

That's last year's slot allocation. Quite surprising actually, given it appears there were 35 slots so they didnt even all get taken??

Not a single M30-34 took a slot?? Almost every male category has rolled down substantially, whereas the women all took theres? Weird.

Maybe Chatanooga wasn't a very attractive location for British competitors? I don't know that part of the world at all, but probably doesn't have the appeal that Las Vegas or Florida had.

South Africa is going to cost you at least 700 for flights, but it's not too expensive once you are there and there are lots of options to tag on for an extended holiday so maybe more attractive?
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

A 7-hour M45-50 finisher went to the Worlds? There's still hope for me!

My 5:30 at Bala a few years back is positively blisteringly fast in comparison...
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
stenard wrote:

Maybe Chatanooga wasn't a very attractive location for British competitors? I don't know that part of the world at all, but probably doesn't have the appeal that Las Vegas or Florida had.

South Africa is going to cost you at least 700 for flights, but it's not too expensive once you are there and there are lots of options to tag on for an extended holiday so maybe more attractive?

Plan ahead and fly from London and you get flights for 500 or less. Flights aren't that expensive anymore. I think it'll be a more popular location than Chattanooga
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine did Staffs, assumed he was way off getting a slot so b&ggered off home, even thought we told him 'go to roll down'. He could have got a slot.

The female slots were very popular last year as they have introduced the '2 days of races' thing where female pros and AGers race on the Saturday, males on Sunday. This seemed to make it more attractive for the female AGers.

The roll for 70.3 worlds depends on location of event (cost etc) and also timing: for Chattanooga last year there was not much of a roll at Weymouth (slots for race almost a year away, plenty of time for planning etc) but far more at Staffs and Edinburgh.

Year after, Nice, will have much less roll as a far more accessible place.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
stenard wrote:

A 7-hour M45-50 finisher went to the Worlds? There's still hope for me!

My 5:30 at Bala a few years back is positively blisteringly fast in comparison...

see you at staffs in june then mate Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Worlds is in Nice, I bet rolldowns in Europe will be almost non existent.

I see Staffs is currently 324 Rofl
Mungo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a half....?!
Sundowner and Deva are 90 ish...!

When the Worlds is in Nice, I bet rolldowns in Europe will be almost non existent.

TriSam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

324?!?!?! How can they justify that
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on the last price bracket Edinburgh was about 40 cheaper.

Edinburgh has slots for 2018 & 2019, I'm guessing the roll-down for SA will go a long way, whereas Nice probably won't roll at all, or maybe an odd slot.

Jeff
zedzded

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Even on the last price bracket Edinburgh was about 40 cheaper.

Edinburgh has slots for 2018 & 2019, I'm guessing the roll-down for SA will go a long way, whereas Nice probably won't roll at all, or maybe an odd slot.

Jeff

Yeah when the worlds were in the Sunshine Coast, there were no roll downs, even in Western Australia which is the other side of the country. Everyone took their spots. SA is also proving popular in Australia. I was 5th and got the last spot, 2 guys luckily passed as they had just come back from Kona.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

A friend wanted me to join in and race there, I spat my dummy out and said a firm no (I think even more with the ridiculous 'active fee').

Off to the Loire valley to race there instead for a a couple of hundred euros.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70.3 Weymouth is currently 245 (Tier 3), no idea why Staffs is so much more expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: