Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Looking Back ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I come from a bike racing and TT background, so have always had cycling as my main multi-sport 'pillar'. I've raced every discipline of cycling except for BMX and MTB and in my 35th year of endurance stuff.

I've always gone back and forth on whether I was a cyclist that just did tris, or was I an ex cyclist becoming a 'triathlete' . In the end I decided I was someone that just likes to do 'stuff'.

I'm not a great tri swimmer but fair much better in choppy and lumpy sea swims due to years of surfing. I can diesel swim my way around a course with few hassles. That doesn't mean I like swimming. I like OWS but I hate the grind of swimming pool logistics.

Ironically, I'm turning out some of my best run times since breaking my back and my FTP is the highest it's been for a few years.

Here's the thing though, I'm never actually sure if I'm enjoying myself. I enjoy being fit, I enjoy the variety of events on in the UK. I enjoy building all my own bikes from the ground up and I enjoy having something to aim for. But I've forgotten why I think it's a good idea to roll around again.

LCW is a family holiday, all good. Marlow HIM is a deferral from last year and gawd knows why I'm thinking of IM Wales again, ease of logistics probably.

My job is pretty stressful and commute is 40-45 min each way. We are staying in the UK for a couple more years and buying a house in Winchester. I have absolutely zero interest in DIY, so I know I don't need more time for that. Little one starts school this year.

It's not about the money, it's a little bit about time but mostly a combo of both. I don't mind spending big money on a good experience but I'm unlikely to repeat that. I did a Hot Chilli experience once but wouldn't repeat it because there are so many other things to do (Haute Route Rockies for example). It's the same reason we never holiday in the same place twice. Too much to see and do elsewhere.

I've fallen in love with running again and have never lost my love for cycling and TTing. I also love the short course tri process but can see a point where spending more surfing holidays with the family will knock IM into a cocked hat, as I don't understand why I put myself under the pressure of doing 'the big' tri stuff any more. Sad
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salad_dodger wrote:
I agree with some of the above with regard to tri losing it's appeal. I even heard a rumour the other day that TC has given up long distance tri and is focusing on becoming a zumba instructor instead.

Smile

Similar to others I've completely dropped off the m-dot bandwagon, and on to the "experience" path. Triathlon X is a favorite repeat offender on my calendar, but this year it'll (hopefully) be Jurassicman in Dorset and Bearman in the Pyrenees. I see both as adventures rather than races (which is as much down to admittance of skill as anything Wink ). Norseman, Celtman, some daft little extreme "race" somewhere else, so much to do that is so much more fun that m-dot.

But I think as soon as the kids are older and I don't have to go training from the doorstep, which is why I started triathlon in the first place, whitewater kayaking will take over and I'll be back on the rivers. But every outing takes a full day and that's just not feasible with little ones. Triathlon is a really easy substitute, especially in these midlife crisis times.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
But I think as soon as the kids are older and I don't have to go training from the doorstep, which is why I started triathlon in the first place, whitewater kayaking will take over and I'll be back on the rivers. But every outing takes a full day and that's just not feasible with little ones. Triathlon is a really easy substitute, especially in these midlife crisis times.

Yep, can't do that with climbing/mountaineering/hill walking, unless you live in the Highlands or Snowdonia; so moving back to Triathlon has been good in that respect.

Maybe there are a bunch of people on an Audax forum somewhere saying they're bored of riding 1000km a month, and think Triathlon looks like a nice change.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Here's the thing though, I'm never actually sure if I'm enjoying myself. I enjoy being fit, I enjoy the variety of events on in the UK. I enjoy building all my own bikes from the ground up and I enjoy having something to aim for. But I've forgotten why I think it's a good idea to roll around again.

I've stopped to consider this a few times too. You train like a bitch for months, then suffer like a dog for 140.6 miles on race day (well on the latter part of the run anyway!), and wonder if it's the best choice year after year. Certainly once you've done a few and age means you're not going to get any better. You start to think if you shouldn't try something else, as you only live once. YOLO Baby Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

I've stopped to consider this a few times too. You train like a bitch for months, then suffer like a dog for 140.6 miles on race day (well on the latter part of the run anyway!), and wonder if it's the best choice year after year. Certainly once you've done a few and age means you're not going to get any better. You start to think if you shouldn't try something else, as you only live once. YOLO Baby Very Happy

Pretty much this. It's not so much 'why am I doing this' more a case of 'why aren't I doing something else'? I really fancy giving Haute Route a tilt but I reckon the Rockies is the only one I have a chance of making cut off on each day but it's pretty expensive.

Ultimate for me would be Swissman in terms of tri.

I'm thankful just to have the mobility to have a choice these days Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read the Rockies Haute Route article in Cyclist - looks awesome!
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

It's pretty good all round fitness. Who wants to look like an emaciated cyclist or runner anyway Wink

You can always switch emphasis whilst leaving a bit of multi sport training in.

Thanks for the HR Rockies shout, that would also interest me.

(Swissman was one of the genuine highlights of my life. Well at least until my support cocked the nutrition up on the run)
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím more on the fitness wagon these days. I still run or cycle most days (mostly as commuting) but havenít done an event for about 2 years. A two year old has curtailed my training somewhat. Although Iím starting to get back into things like the club mid week 10ís and the occasional park run, both are very slow. I donít think Iíll do a big iron man again, but there are a few destination races that Iíd like to have a go at. Mostly stupid hilly stuff. But I suspect they will have to wait a bit.

So many races so little time.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly local sprints & sportives for me these days and the odd obstacle race, cheap and a lot more fun and doesn't take over my life! Smile
Gus

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work is too heavy for me and has been for the last couple of years. Meant I haven't had time to train, plus having a toddler it gets hard taking time out to train.

So I'm getting fat and lazy. I even wondered if I should raise some cash and sell my bikes the other day...

But then I gave myself a slap around the chops.

I miss it, to be honest...

Miss the occasion, the cameraderie, miss the buzz of post-race stories, miss the stressful build-up of weeks focusing on a big date, miss the bragging rights.... hate the thought of never doing a race again.

My 15 minutes of fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: