Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Run went wrong - Looking for some advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carrot_tri

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Run went wrong - Looking for some advice Reply with quote

I did my first tri of the season on Sunday and although i knocked almost 25mins off last years time, i died quite badly on the run section and i'm trying to work out what went wrong.

I did my usual pre-race routine ( i use the term loosely as this is only my 4th traithlon!) and everything was fantastic until i got onto the run. The first lap of three was exactly as planned and then i hit the second lap and it was like someone had attached weights to my legs. It was an effort just moving forwards. I eventually came in off the run 2 mins slower than i was expecting. It wasn't a partilcuarly undulating run, one section is slightly up but nothing that should have posed a problem.

It was a hot day, whereas last year it had been colder and windy. I'm not great in the heat so i'm thinking that potentially, that might have been a problem. I also wondered if now i'm faster on the bike i need more fuel before i set off but i'm reading conflictng information on that subject as i could of places i've looked has suggested i don't really need much fuel before a sprint.

My A race is in June and although its a sprint, its a longer swim, more challenging bike and a 7.5K run. I really don't want to suffer the same problem.

So do you more experienced guys think i stuffed up my nutrition or did the heat simply get to me?

Thanks
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, A 1 hour ride, followed by 5km run is actually the easiest way for me to bonk totally, on a bike alone I'd slow down before I crashed big time, but the change from bike to run can trigger a bonk.

Obviously the answer for me is fueling appropriate for the effort, so either more food or easier effort.

Of course it could als have been the heat, just exactly how hot were you?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pacing was right then it's the hydration/nutrition

If the pacing was wrong then any nutrition/hydration strategy would be out of kilter

The recent rapid rise in temp will almost certainly be a consideration as will specificity of training

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As EJC says the sudden rise in heat is catching a lot of people out at races of various distances, unless you've been training abroad or in the sauna I'm guessing races in recent days are probably 20c+ warmer than you've done most of your training in.

Would have been exacerbated if you pushed a bit hard on the bike and dehydrated yourself.

Not sure I'd get too worried for your first race of the season, especially after knocking 25 minutes off.

Jeff
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think far more likely heat this week.
Unless looking for top few % generally I don't think need to worry that much about nutrition for a sprint compared to general diet with any form of bit of added simple energy. Crashing around ~1.5hrs is more wrong intensity, either because worked too hard or external stress from weather etc.[/b]
hypseldoris

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't the only one then.
I had a crap swim, but good bike then completely failed on the run. So disappointed.
I thought the weather might have something to do with it, but bad nutrition played a part too. Saturday was a bit of a rush and I didn't really have a proper dinner, woke up hungry on Sunday but had my usual triathlon breakfast and hoped for the best. It wasn't enough.
Notch it up to experience and tri again
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were only 2 mins slower than expected...

...after a 25 Min PB

How could you know what to accurately expect when you have improved so drastically.

Running off the bike isn't the same as running fresh.

Sounds like it was mainly in your head and you did great!
twhat

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 27 degrees where i live last sunday... in that kind of heat i would expect at least a 10% drop off in achievable run pace from say a 15 degree day. It may only be a 5k run but your body is already going to be working to cool itself after the bike. I think the science is that so much more blood is diverted to the skin to help cool yourself that there is an equivalent drop in blood supply/oxygen to the muscles and of course a subsequent drop in performance.
Assuming you are adequately rested and eating an appropriate diet, i honestly dont think you need to worry about any specific nutrition strategy for a sprint triathlon. A few sips of sports drink on the bike should be more than enough. Missing dinner the night before isnt ideal but expecting to run at your 'normal' pace in abnormally higher temperatures isnt realistic for most people unless properly acclimatized...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start the run slower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: