Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2 ideal for Ironman?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waddy-UK

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2 ideal for Ironman? Reply with quote

Hi all, hope the training is going well. It's bike upgrade time and I'm not sure! I've had my eye on a Propel Advanced 2 Pro but I've been told that a Giant Propel Advanced Pro is a good bike but not one maybe ideal for Ironman due to comfort and you'd feel every bump and pot hole in the road, especially up in Yorkshire where I am etc as it's more a sprinting, short course bike.

The staff said a Giant TCR would be a lot more suitable. However on other social media outlets loads of people have said they have done it on one and it was perfect. I just wondered what you lot think. I will never win my age group etc, I plan to do some sprints and half's too but will maybe do 1 or 2 Ironman full distance events on it.

Thanks
Mungo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tt bike with dual shifting.
Weapon of choice for most courses.
Di2 or sram etap.
If the budgets a bit tight ultegra or even pre owned as long as it fits you, which is the most important factor.

If it's really hilly / stop start / twist turn some people report better average speeds with a road bike and clip ons.

I started up again 4-5 years ago and bought my mates Focus izzalco pro he got a Giant propel and said it was no better or faster? That said it's a very good bike, is the bike for IMUK?
fenix

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually managed to make it to the start line of any triathlon yet ?

I'd save your money on the bike until you've actually done an event .

Any decent road bike will get you round. Spending two or three k won't cut more than a minute or two off your time.

Sorry to be harsh but it's been years now.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Propel (something-something, same frame anyway) and it'd be perfectly fine. Think of it as a road bike, just as the TCR is a road bike. It's far more important that you feel comfortable on it than anything else so get it set up well and train on it to get used to it.

If you then want to start optimising look at tri bars (clip-on). When you get used to those and have had a few years on that kit you can see if you want to splash on a TT bike. It is faster, but often at the sacrifice of comfort and versatility.

Although, being a nerd, my Propel is now kitted with 3T aero bars, clip-on tri-bars and last time I did a timetrial it was on that bike with deep rim front and disc rear. It's quite a fast frame in its own right and I don't think I lost a whole lot compared to a TT bike. At the same time I also use it for extremely hilly courses, so it's a very versatile rig.

I live in York and train in Yorkshire all the time, the Propel is easily comfortable enough.

And please note, Mungo isn't exactly a beginner or a slow coach. His advise there is pretty high end kit, all considered. Smile
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Propel for a couple of years and used it for ultra-hilly Triathlon X and general road bike. At 10 stone I found it stiff and much less comfortable than my Cervelo P2C, for example, or my old carbon-alloy TCR, or the 2015 Scott Addict that I now have instead of the Propel. I also found the Propel quite twitchy on gnarly descents like Wrynose-east, which may have been the 50mm wheels or it's general stiffness possibly (I've used my P2C with 66mm rims for IM Lanza and Wales, for example, with no problems).

As suggested earlier, get a good all-rounder (if Giant, consider the Defy as well as TCR), don't spend too much, and spend time getting a good feel for it.
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace
I'm an old man now, nearly three decades since my first outing.

No beginner for sure, not sure about slow coach.... recent race run speed best all year, bike which I really worked on disappointing..... That's why I love this sport.

Seen several ui2 tt bikes, earlier models granted, go for less than a grand recently.

That said both my Roadies now have sram red mech on, very impressed, and crazy light too.

Bike needs to be very comfy for the full stanza in an Ironman.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenix wrote:
Have you actually managed to make it to the start line of any triathlon yet ?

I'd save your money on the bike until you've actually done an event .

Any decent road bike will get you round. Spending two or three k won't cut more than a minute or two off your time.

Sorry to be harsh but it's been years now.

Earliest start to the Biff Season ever Very Happy .
fenix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Waddy get the bike in the end ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: