Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Recommend me a half marathon program

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Recommend me a half marathon program Reply with quote

Looking to do the Scottish Half Marathon on the 23rd September which I think is 17 weeks away, itís a flat/ down hill course and Iíd like to do it in a decent time. I donít mind paying a bit for a program, but nothing outrageous. I know they are generic but donít really want to employ a coach. I have been training on and off for properly for about 10 years. I know a bit about training theory but canít be arsed to think about it too much )

About me

Previous PB 1:34:04 (2013 before kids)
Currently running 20-25km per week over 3/4 sessions long run is around 10km in circa 55 mins and doing a fair few 5ks in 25ish minutes. My general endurance is ok but Iím lacking a bit of speed and speed endurance.

So many races so little time.
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Hal Higdon plans.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local running club? Sounds like some track sessions would do wonders.

Can't remember who (hammerer?) had the wise words "you don't run sub-4min/k if you don't run sub-4min/k". Basically, train the muscles as you expect to use them instead of plodding. The track sessions worked well on me for that.

And yes, I know you are asking about a plan but since when did you start expecting a coherent answer matching your request on this forum. Smile
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

Can't remember who (hammerer?) had the wise words "you don't run sub-4min/k if you don't run sub-4min/k". Basically, train the muscles as you expect to use them instead of plodding. The track sessions worked well on me for that.

And yes, I know you are asking about a plan but since when did you start expecting a coherent answer matching your request on this forum. Smile

Exactly Smile

it is not hard to put a specific half plan together that suits your needs...but you need to ask a few questions of yourself first, such as, where are you now, how much time will you have to train, how well does your body adapt to training and recover, what is your objective...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
stenard

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

It's interesting. I always used to adopt the same kind of mindset. Yet since being coached towards my first full, my coach actually has me doing lots of much lower intensity stuff.

I spent much of the winter at relatively low intensities on the turbo. I don't think I did a single interval at over 260W, yet when he eventually got me to FTP test, I held 265 for 20 mins which was a chunky bump in FTP.

Similarly on the track - he basically stopped me going. I instead did lots more longer endurance sessions, with additional 60min steady state runs at pretty low intensity (most are at about 4.45-5.00mins per km). The only things those latter runs include is a few 100m strides at the end. I pb'd a 5k in December running 17:25. I'd done nothing at sub 3:30 type paces.

I've had to change my mindset somewhat that you have to train at speed to be able to run fast.

That said, he is very very specific when it comes to longer stuff. For my HM pb attempt, I did a 4-5 week build of progressively longer intervals running at my target HM pace, and I achieved that goal with a 79:57. And for my 70.3, he had me doing progressively longer brick sessions, holding longer intervals of my target power and then running for progressively longer periods at my target HM pace. I achieved my goal in that race as well.

The point of all this - you can get faster by not necessarily running faster. My only proper injury in the last 4-5 years is a mild calf strain that I got at a track session.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:

It's interesting. I always used to adopt the same kind of mindset. Yet since being coached towards my first full, my coach actually has me doing lots of much lower intensity stuff.

I spent much of the winter at relatively low intensities on the turbo. I don't think I did a single interval at over 260W, yet when he eventually got me to FTP test, I held 265 for 20 mins which was a chunky bump in FTP.

Similarly on the track - he basically stopped me going. I instead did lots more longer endurance sessions, with additional 60min steady state runs at pretty low intensity (most are at about 4.45-5.00mins per km). The only things those latter runs include is a few 100m strides at the end. I pb'd a 5k in December running 17:25. I'd done nothing at sub 3:30 type paces.

I've had to change my mindset somewhat that you have to train at speed to be able to run fast.

That said, he is very very specific when it comes to longer stuff. For my HM pb attempt, I did a 4-5 week build of progressively longer intervals running at my target HM pace, and I achieved that goal with a 79:57. And for my 70.3, he had me doing progressively longer brick sessions, holding longer intervals of my target power and then running for progressively longer periods at my target HM pace. I achieved my goal in that race as well.

The point of all this - you can get faster by not necessarily running faster. My only proper injury in the last 4-5 years is a mild calf strain that I got at a track session.

of course, if the objectives are different and the time scale is different, you can approach the training in a different way.....hence specific reps for your half...

it also doesn't take account of your engine prior to this training...

but it certainly works for lots of people...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:

so you did run faster than at your aerobic pace at your RACE PACE! If you dont run at the pace you are planning to race at you cant expect your body to suddenly do it for 13miles on race day regardless of how big an engine youve built. It's about balance and working on the strengths and weaknesses of the individual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: